No announcement yet.

Safety glasses instear of ski goggles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety glasses instear of ski goggles?

We were on top of Marcy in Oct and the wind and sleet were cranked up. The sleet in the face was tough and made the summit rather inhabitable. Hoping to do Algonquin over to Iroquois this weekend and the mountain forecast calls for 50mph winds Sat evening.

We are accomplished "turn backers" and it may come to that. But I was thinking goggles take up space but safety glasses might be small enough not to notice. Any thoughts on that?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Eyes on the Forest, not on the Trees

Had the same scenario on the same mountain.

I had a hat, shirt with a hood, facemask, goggles and a hooded shell and was very comfortable, except for the occasional gust that wanted to knock you off your feat.

My partner on the other hand was suited up as you see, and was not very comfortable. we ended up bailing a short ways from the summit. If he had a hooded jacket, he may have been able to draw it up around his face.

By the way, the goggles don't weigh much or take up too much space. I usually carry more gear and have a bigger pack than necessary on most occasions.
    Attached Files

Comment

If you're talking cheap polycarbonate wraps as safety glasses, they will keep the shrapnel out of the eyes. However, they fog up quickly...
      Feverishly avoiding "a steady stream of humanity, with a view that offers little more than butts, boots, elbows and backsides". (description quote from Joe Hackett)

Comment

I see. Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

Comment

One benefit of safety glasses is yput a ou can get them in bifocals for reading. They put a small lens in the lower inside corner They always worked great at work and I bought some for camping clear and sunglasses.

Comment

Thank you. I guess we will experiment with both.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Eyes on the Forest, not on the Trees

Comment

"One benefit of safety glasses is yput a ou can get them in bifocals for reading. They put a small lens in the lower inside corner They always worked great at work and I bought some for camping clear and sunglasses."
              Didn't even know that. Thanks!

Comment

[QUOTE=tenderfoot;274030]\

We are accomplished "turn backers" and it may come to that. \QUOTE]

Good for you!

That is something to be proud of!!!
                I sometimes put a wool hat or mitt over my nose, across my face, but not to cover my nostrils, just to keep my nose warm. You have to pay the piper somewhere for this kind of fun
                JerseyHighlander 2-2015

Comment

Working...
                X