Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2019, 02:32 PM   #1
58rover

pointing dog trainers

anyone know of a good pointing dog trainer in north eastern NY or north western VT? I have a Brittany that I need a little help with.
thanks
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:28 AM   #2
Fly Rodder

I do not. But Britts should be on the easier end of the spectrum. What are you having issues with?

I used an e-collar on my britt for about 2-seconds. I had it on the lowest setting to start with just like the book said, commanded him, hit the button and he looked at me like I just kicked him in the face. I took the collar off and sold it. Everything after that was repetition and positive reinforcement. He never liked to fetch though and I was OK with that. He sure did love finding birds.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:43 PM   #3
58rover

I have used an ecollar very very sparingly!!! Only when I know he knows and is completely ignoring one of the gospel commands, mostly here. Now I just carry it around and can't remember last time I needed it. I do use the tone button on occasion to reel him it about it. I made some mistakes with the boy early on when a few quail escaped their pen and he ended up catching them (he is dang fast!!) so he hunts for himself and saw no reason to point heck he can get em himself. Today I took him to a guy with launchers and pigeons. By forth bird he held a point for a tad. This was all done with no commands or check cord just letting him hunt and launching birds before he got on them. Step in right direction!
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #4
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Look for your local NAVHDA chapter and go to their training days. Also, George Hickox is great .

https://georgehickox.com/

https://www.navhda.org/

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote