• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEC on Boreas Access

This just in from the DEC:

DEC to Increase Access to Boreas Ponds this Summer

Motor Vehicle Access will be Limited to Weekends Until Work is Complete

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) will work to create additional access and recreational infrastructure in the Boreas Ponds Tract in the High Peaks Wilderness this June and July.

DEC Regional Director Bob Stegemann said, "Nestled deep inside New York's spectacular Adirondack High Peaks, Boreas Ponds offers a world-class outdoor experience with stunning and breathtaking beauty. DEC has taken special care to craft an access plan to the Boreas tract that strikes the delicate balance to conserve, protect and responsibly promote this special state treasure."

Gulf Brook Road is currently closed for the spring mud season. Due to the amount of snow this winter and the amount of rain this spring, the road will not open until after Memorial Day weekend. After the road has dried and hardened, and basic maintenance has been completed, motorists will be able to access the Fly Pond Parking Area on weekends only.

Paddlers will be able to access Boreas Pond and other waterways by carrying canoes, kayaks, and stand up paddleboards 2.5 miles from the Fly Pond Parking Area to LaBier Flow; paddle the length of LaBier Flow; and then carry another 0.5 mile between the flow and Boreas Pond.

Until the end of July, Gulf Brook Road will be closed to public motor vehicle use during the week while DEC crews conduct road work and other construction projects. Hikers, bicyclists, and horses will be allowed to use the road during the week but should use caution around construction sites and obey all instructions from workers.

Beginning in August, motorists will be able to travel further on the Gulf Brook Road and access additional infrastructure. DEC will announce the availability of the additional access once the work is complete.

The Adirondack Backcountry Information web pages provide current information on the status of seasonal access roads - including Gulf Brook Road - trails, and other conditions.
    Every time that wheel turns round, bound to measure just a little more ground.

Fingers crossed this added vehicle access does not lead to the place being trashed. DEC needs a presence at the dam or this will turn into Cedar River Flow, just with a better view.

Comment

Originally posted by 2505 View Post
      Fingers crossed this added vehicle access does not lead to the place being trashed. DEC needs a presence at the dam or this will turn into Cedar River Flow, just with a better view.
      Too late. When I was there last fall there I saw cars parked at the dam, along with beer cans & Charmin Blossoms along the treeline. Not to mention the numerous makeshift illegal campsites that have sprung up along the shore already.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
        Too late. When I was there last fall there I saw cars parked at the dam, along with beer cans & Charmin Blossoms along the treeline. Not to mention the numerous makeshift illegal campsites that have sprung up along the shore already.
        Rats. Glad I got there when I did a few years ago when you had to walk the whole way. really a shame. The State is already dropping the ball on this one it seems; another place that will be "loved to death" by slobs.

FWIW I just emailed this thread to DEC District 5 to see what plan they have in place for boots on the ground monitoring of the area, since it seems there has been abuse already. Hopefully they can stay ahead of Joe Six-Pack and his buddies.
        Last edited by 2505; 05-23-2019, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2505 View Post
          Rats. Glad I got there when I did a few years ago when you had to walk the whole way. really a shame. The State is already dropping the ball on this one it seems; another place that will be "loved to death" by slobs.

FWIW I just emailed this thread to DEC District 5 to see what plan they have in place for boots on the ground monitoring of the area, since it seems there has been abuse already. Hopefully they can stay ahead of Joe Six-Pack and his buddies.
          Agreed & same here, and we all knew this was going to happen, sadly.
          Just wait until the construction on the new huge lean-to is complete.

Comment

Boots on the ground would be great. But don't expect it. All money goes down rat holes; 163 Billion per year, highest taxes in the nation, and basic stuff like this cannot be paid for,,,

Comment

Originally posted by TCD View Post
              Boots on the ground would be great. But don't expect it. All money goes down rat holes; 163 Billion per year, highest taxes in the nation, and basic stuff like this cannot be paid for,,,
              To be fair, I’m fairly certain DEC will be keeping close tabs. The new AFR for that area is one of the best, and our group last Fall did briefly chat with an ECO on his way in as we were leaving. So staying positive here & looking forward to the things to come. I definitely look forward to visiting this area again, and continue to document how things have changed since the tract was first opened for public use.

Comment

To be fair, I’m fairly certain DEC will be keeping close tabs. The new AFR for that area is one of the best, and our group last Fall did briefly chat with an ECO on his way in as we were leaving. So staying positive here & looking forward to the things to come. I definitely look forward to visiting this area again, and continue to document how things have changed since the tract was first opened for public use.
                I just heard back from David Winchell at DEC Region 5. Good info below, and I hope things can be kept nice:

(from DW)
                I checked with the Forest Rangers that patrol that area and they said the statement is an exaggeration.

It is possible the vehicles observed may have been people from the leased camps who were allowed to use their camps and the road system until October 31, 2018. The public could not get vehicles past the Fly Pond Gate.

It is also possible they were DEC vehicles, reviewing plans for maintenance and infrastructure.

There will be additional staff patrolling the area this summer after we open up some additional access. See the press release: www.dec.ny.gov/press/117073.html

I hope you have the opportunity to access and enjoy the Boreas Ponds this summer.

Comment

Exaggerating?
                  I guess I must’ve been hallucinating when I wrote my trip report last fall...Thankfully I spared everyone the images of the litter & used toilet paper...
                  Boreas Ponds Revisit

Comment

Exaggerating?
                    I guess I must’ve been hallucinating when I wrote my trip report last fall...Thankfully I spared everyone the images of the litter & used toilet paper...
                    Boreas Ponds Revisit
                    Sorry to see the irresponsible camping...not unexpected. Where we camped 3 years ago you'd be hard pressed to find as we left no fire ring or other signs of habitation. Wish others would do same.

Hopefully they can keep up with the influx of people, but I am skeptical.

ps- beautiful pics!

Comment

Working...
                    X