No announcement yet.

Crazy Trees....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen a couple trees that did a complete 360 on the way up. Weird to see a tree with a loop in it. I have a picture of one of them somewhere (it's by Siamese Ponds) but I can't find it now.

Comment

Originally posted by colden46 View Post
      I've seen a couple trees that did a complete 360 on the way up. Weird to see a tree with a loop in it. I have a picture of one of them somewhere (it's by Siamese Ponds) but I can't find it now.
      I'll have to check this one out in a few years ,see if it's still growing .

Phil

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Comment

This....suggestive-looking tree... has since been removed from the trail up to Good Luck Cliffs. I guess they're trying to keep it PG.

Comment

Tick,
          What trail is that log with the 6/12?
          I know I've seen that before, just can't remember where.

Comment

Stewart and Indian lakes trail if I remember correctly.

Comment

Correct forgedin78!

Stewart and Indian Lake Trail in the Shaker Mt. Wild Forest
              Tick Magnet

Comment

Ah yes, I was there 7/12.

Comment

I was on the Stewart and Indian Lakes trail yesterday. Not much snow, but nice and quiet in there. Snapped a photo of this tree. Not the craziest I've seen, but fun nonetheless.
                  Attached Files

Comment

On the trail around Putts Pond. I just happened to stop and look up and I thought of this thread. I noticed a few others along the way but my camera battery died shortly after this one.

Comment

Adding a few photos that may (or may not) fit the category...

Comment

I think I recognize that huge burl. Is that the one on the NPT between Cedar Lakes and West Canada Lakes? Biggest one I have ever seen.
                        Zach

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                          I think I recognize that huge burl. Is that the one on the NPT between Cedar Lakes and West Canada Lakes? Biggest one I have ever seen.
                          Zach
                          Just a little further south along the old path to Beaudry Brook & Jones Brook near Calamity Brook (a.k.a. Wagon Wheel Brook). That burl seems to get bigger every year.
                          Last edited by Justin; 01-20-2014, 03:54 PM.

Comment

The fungi appears to be a Varnish Conk, either Ganoderma tsugae or G. lucidum. Some call it Ling Chih, (mushroom of immortality), and is much sought after by some.
                            "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Originally posted by geogymn View Post
                              The fungi appears to be a Varnish Conk, either Ganoderma tsugae or G. lucidum. Some call it Ling Chih, (mushroom of immortality), and is much sought after by some.
                              Thanks for ID Geogymn.
                              I wasn't sure what it was called, but would've bet the farm it was poisonous.
                              Here's a couple more photos of that same fungi:

Comment

Working...
                              X