Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
OntarioSkiBum

Ampersand on a Saturday

How jammed will it be? Are we looking at a schmozzle similar to what you'd see in the High Peaks?

We'd consider going later in the day if that helps.
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
Kevin7

Ampersand is a great hike, and very popular. It will be very crowded on a Saturday in July.
Might help to go very early or very late.
Kevin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
WBB

Try Adams. Less crowded better views.
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:57 PM   #4
gebbyfish

We did it last Saturday and started at 9. Got in the parking lot at that time. I would get there earlier than that. It was a zoo on the road with parked cars when we came out.
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:37 PM   #5
TCD

Yes, be careful in the parking areas, that DEC has deliberately made inadequate. I would hate to see an accident there.

On the mountain, enjoy the company of the other people happy to be there.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:59 PM   #6
OntarioSkiBum

Thanks for the advice everyone. My biggest concern was the parking. Having others on the trail isn't too much of a deterrent... but parking dangerously on the side of the road is. Maybe we'll shoot for a real early start.

I don't think we'll do Adams this time since it's close to an hour further than Ampersand. But, it's definitely on the radar.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:04 AM   #7
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Yes, be careful in the parking areas, that DEC has deliberately made inadequate. I would hate to see an accident there.

On the mountain, enjoy the company of the other people happy to be there.
Why would DEC deliberately make it inadequate? (which it is) Plans are for a new and larger parking area on the trail head side of the road.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #8
TCD

It's well documented and openly admitted to by DEC that inadequate parking is used as a way to try to control usage. The DEC uses "carrying capacity" formulas to determine how many parking spaces are allowed to be near a trailhead. Even though local Foresters and Town officials would like to see more parking, they are told that based on the land classification, no more spots can be provided.

Of course this doesn't accomplish the objective, and this strategy has been an obvious failure for at least ten years. All it does is create parking headaches for local towns, and safety hazards for everyone.

In the High Peaks amendment currently pending approval, sadly, the DEC seems intent to march forward mindlessly with this failed strategy, planning a REDUCTION in parking in the Chapel Pond area. The Chapel Pond area is actually one of the few areas that currently has enough spots to get cars off the road, so it's really too bad that they are choosing to screw it up. Under the current draft, please plan to drive slowly through there, as there will be lots more cars in tough spots, and lots more hikers walking along the 55 mph highway.

It really amazes me that these folks still think that they can force the public to not go where they want to go. It's sad, and stupid.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
bluequill

Thanks for the insight!

They seem to be doing the same thing by closing down campsites, making new ones in totally different areas. I haven't seen a new campsite that would attract a band of chipmunks.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:52 PM   #10
gebbyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
It really amazes me that these folks still think that they can force the public to not go where they want to go. It's sad, and stupid.
I agree with you 100%. If they want to stop people from coming to the Adirondacks and High Peaks, they should stop all those ads they keep running downstate!
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:24 PM   #11
bluequill

FYI, there were 48 cars there at 10:30 this morning. A few parking on the eastbound side too.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #12
OntarioSkiBum

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I'd say we were on the mountain no later than 815. There were 3 other groups at the summit during our 30 minutes or so up there.

On the way down we must have passed 20+ groups... One of which had maybe 25 highschool age boys. That would have changed our experience quite dramatically.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #13
snapper
snapper

I don't know if they do it anymore but years ago the "Word of Life" camp on Upper Saranac used to deposit bus loads of kids at the base of the mountain. Based on what one of their counselors told me they could have as many as 100 kids hiking up/down Ampersand at one time. I have no idea how they could have kept track of that many people but I was always glad not to be on the summit when that particular hoard arrived.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote