Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2018, 06:19 PM   #1
JohnnyVirgil

Crackdown!

Good to see some idjits get a talkiní to.

Town of Rockland
Sullivan County
Enforcement: On Aug. 31 at approximately 10:15 p.m., DEC Mongaup Pond Campground staff contacted DEC's Central Dispatch about a loud, unruly group that would not comply with campground staff. New York State Police were notified and quieted down the group. At the request of the campground caretaker, Forest Rangers responded the next morning and evicted the campers. Summonses were issued for failure to obey campground staff, failure to keep a neat, clean and sanitary campsite, failure to obey quiet hours, and cutting down trees on state land.

Towns of Warrensburg and Fort Ann
Warren and Washington County
Public Safety/Enforcement: Warren County Department of Health advised DEC of a dog bite that occurred at the Hudson River Recreation Area in the Lake George Wild Forest. On Aug. 31, a Forest Ranger following up on the complaint interviewed a group of three subjects with several dogs at their campsite. From information obtained from the complaint and observations at the site, the group was ticketed for allowing dogs to run freely on lands inhabited by deer. The group was evicted from the site for camping longer than permitted. The same group was encountered the next day by a different Forest Ranger at the Shelving Rock area of the Lake George Wild Forest and was evicted for camping without a permit.

Town of Inlet
Hamilton County
Enforcement: On Sept. 1, staff at Limekiln Campground received multiple complaints from campers about a loud party, arguments with profanity, and unsafe vehicle operation in the early morning hours. Forest Rangers arrived and interviewed complainants and other campers from adjacent sites. The occupants of the offending site were awakened by Rangers and interviewed. The offending campers admitted to being loud and using profanity in the overnight hours. Forest Rangers issued an eviction notice and tickets were issued for failure to observe quiet hours in the campsite.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #2
Tick Magnet

JV,

Thanks for posting this! I'm glad the Rangers are able to get some of these clowns that ruin it for the rest of us.

I hope they get the bums who did this to two of the designationed campsites up the road from our cabin. These site are always used by responsible campers and deer hunters who take care of the resource and respect the land. Forest Ranger and DEC notified of this mess and responding appropriately. I'm confident they'll nail these guys.

Some kind of furniture filled with household garbage

Mess chewed by mice

Fire pit

12 ga. and 5.56mm brass

Formerly very full chemical toilet holed by 12 ga and 5.56mm

Old 09-04-2018, 07:23 PM   #3
montcalm
Mobster

I spoke to a ranger a few weeks ago with some questions, and I won't say who he was, but I mentioned something about not wanting to get a ticket for illegal camping and he said,

"Well, we don't really ticket anyone unless they are smoking marijuana, or meth."

"Well you won't have any problem with that," says I.

"Oh, I know. I know," he says.

"I prefer a nice relaxing smoke of crack."

Last edited by montcalm; 09-04-2018 at 07:34 PM..
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:28 PM   #4
Neil
Kayak-46

If it were feasible they should make them carry garbage out from the Lean-to's and campsites that are notorious for garbage.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:26 PM   #5
JohnnyVirgil

I find the answer to the question, "Do you like to get drunk and shoot stuff?" is a great datapoint to determine IQ.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
Klinkhamer

This is why we can't have nice things...

Drove into Crane Pond (Pharaoh Mtn area) hoping to get a nice day of paddling and fly fishing the pond for the first time and to spend a night out. Got there and found more than 20 cars parked. Most belonged to one site right next to boat launch. I spent about 5 hours out on pond paddling around and catching various bass and bluegills and checking open sites where I might take my gear and spend the night. I was across the pond and I could hear this large group's drunken yelling and carrying on and then someone added a stereo to the mix. When I returned I saw they had setup some large plastic tables and were pretty into their party. I proceeded to load my kayak back up and decided I wanted no part of this nonsense. As I was finishing up, someone then proceeded to fire up a chainsaw as well and I have no idea what was being cut up. This is supposed to be a WILDERNESS area, so there were a few laws being broken that day I assume. Once I got back into cell coverage I made a call to DEC dispatch and they said they were going to check it out. I hope they handed out a few tickets and kicked them out after making them clean up whatever mess they made. Its days like these I wish they required permits to use State land.
Rant over.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
TCD

This always comes down to: "Can people drive in or not?" If the road were closed, that party would not have been there. Or at least would not have been as loud or big in the "wilderness area."

Note: Not trying to be contentious, but you drove in. If the road were closed, would you have carried in your boat and gear?
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #8
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Surprised that they didn't have ATV's and fireworks. That would have completed the debauchery.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #9
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd View Post
this always comes down to: "can people drive in or not?" if the road were closed, that party would not have been there. Or at least would not have been as loud or big in the "wilderness area."

note: Not trying to be contentious, but you drove in. If the road were closed, would you have carried in your boat and gear?

+1
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #10
Klinkhamer

If I had a Hornbeck that weighed ~15 lbs I would consider it, but my kayak weighs about 50 lbs. I could always put it on wheels though, but how I got there, to me, is irrelevant unless it was illegal to drive into these places. Most users drive in, unload their gear, and enjoy the place without bothering anyone because they learned how to be considerate of others. If cars were not allowed users could still hike in and do annoying things, but perhaps just not as large in scope.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #11
Justin
Moving along

Shame. Iíve been to Dr. Crane 6 times so far this year & it had been relatively clean & quiet for the most part. Only takes a few bad apples to spoil things. DEC has been doing a pretty good job of maintaining a presence back there last few years. May have just gotten unlucky with a bad weekend. It happens. Thanks for putting a call in to DEC.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #12
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
This always comes down to: "Can people drive in or not?" If the road were closed, that party would not have been there. Or at least would not have been as loud or big in the "wilderness area."

Note: Not trying to be contentious, but you drove in. If the road were closed, would you have carried in your boat and gear?
Depends on the length of the road. IMO, it doesn't take all that much distance to drastically cut down on that kind of crap. I think even the little carry at Lake Lila acts as a filter.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #13
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinkhamer View Post
If I had a Hornbeck that weighed ~15 lbs I would consider it, but my kayak weighs about 50 lbs. I could always put it on wheels though, but how I got there, to me, is irrelevant unless it was illegal to drive into these places. Most users drive in, unload their gear, and enjoy the place without bothering anyone because they learned how to be considerate of others. If cars were not allowed users could still hike in and do annoying things, but perhaps just not as large in scope.
It is illegal to drive to Crane Pond, just not enforced. It is a Wilderness Area.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #14
Tug Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
Surprised that they didn't have ATV's and fireworks. That would have completed the debauchery.
Speaking of ATVís, since the DEC cracked down on illegal ATV use on the East Branch of Fish Creek Conservation Easement lands, there has been little to no public use on this easement. I for one am happy with that.

As for drive in use bringing more unethical campers, There have been times that I visited several remote adk brook trout ponds and have found much trash left behind. But I agree, it is more likely to happen at areas with easy access.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:08 PM   #15
Bob K

I have visited Crane (usually overnight) periodically for years and have had some limited negatives with people camping near the parking access. I think the loud groups have been fewer over the past few years however.

DEC makes frequent visits + has made improvements including signage (like no vehicles past lot) and Wilderness (no chain saw or motors on boats), but it doesn't stop everyone.

The status as official wilderness but non-enforced vehicle prohibition may make punishing outliers more difficult - but as this thread shows, it is being done. Thanks to OP for calling it in.

I was in there 2 weeks ago on my bike and had a pleasant interaction with a Ranger. He (driving in his truck near the Alder pond puddle) rolled down his window and said something like "I know this may sound odd coming from me in a vehicle, but officially bikes are not allowed here". He added that he normally wouldn't give anyone a hard time about it. I thanked him for his education/handling and told him that I knew the area well. ( I wouldn't bike off the "road" there or where vehicles aren't allowed)

There were two vehicles by Crane but few people. The road gets worse every year & I see greater % of cars parked by the wilderness boundary.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #16
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I was in there 2 weeks ago on my bike and had a pleasant interaction with a Ranger. He (driving in his truck near the Alder pond puddle) rolled down his window and said something like "I know this may sound odd coming from me in a vehicle, but officially bikes are not allowed here".
Thatís interesting because I ran into a ranger riding his mountain bike on Crane Pond Rd this past Spring.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #17
Lucky13

I find it interesting that so many people are going to an area that NYSDEC does not even have a webpage for, likely because the area is so overused to begin with. If the Road is closed, why haven't they gated it? What is the great attraction to the area, as opposed to the many other State tracts nearby? Is it that the road, while open, provides easy access? The pond does not sound like a big draw for its fishery, bass and panfish waters are pretty common.

Last edited by Lucky13; 09-10-2018 at 05:43 PM..
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #18
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
I find it interesting that so many people are going to an area that NYSDEC does not even have a webpage for, likely because the area is so overused to begin with. If the Road is closed, why haven't they gated it? What is the great attraction to the area, as opposed to the many other State tracts nearby? Is is that the road, while open, provides easy access? The pond does not sound like a big draw for its fishery, bass and panfish waters are pretty common.
They tried to close the road in the late ‘80s but locals from the Schroon Lake area fought back (literally & figuratively) and removed the boulders that were blocking the road. The DEC has since backed away from officially closing the road, even though it is technically “Closed” on paper. Most of the folks that I’ve talked to at Crane Pond over the years are good people & have been going there ever since they were kids, and are now bringing their own families & children there as well. But yes, like with many areas with easier access you do get the occasional rowdy party campers. In general I’ve seen much worse at Pharaoh Lake than at Crane over the years. Crane usually sneaks under most people’s radar and stays relatively quiet & clean as I mentioned earlier. It’s only when someone unfortunately runs into careless users like this is when Crane gets a bad rep and debates about the road reignite. Most of the time people are pretty responsible & respectful judging from my own experiences there over the past 40+ years.

Last edited by Justin; 09-10-2018 at 05:11 PM..
Old 09-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #19
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
I find it interesting that so many people are going to an area that NYSDEC does not even have a webpage for, likely because the area is so overused to begin with. If the Road is closed, why haven't they gated it? What is the great attraction to the area, as opposed to the many other State tracts nearby? Is is that the road, while open, provides easy access? The pond does not sound like a big draw for its fishery, bass and panfish waters are pretty common.
The road was closed around 1990 but a riot happened between the locals and wilderness advocates with a local politician punching someone out. Charges were dropped. The rocks barricading the road were moved by locals and the road has remained open since. The road into Pharaoh Lake was blocked with rocks, but also removed by locals. DEC prefers to ignore the whole issue.

To the locals, it's ALWAYS been open and therefore it's ours, we live here. Yes, easy access.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #20
webby459

Not a question intended with any snark, but any idea why the locals don't stay at reserve spots at Putnam Pond, in the campground?
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote