Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2018, 10:57 AM   #1
trmac

Hitting the trail in a couple days

Hi, everyone. I'm Tom from Delaware and I'm a new member here. I tried posting on the NPT Facebook page, but FB has put my account in limbo until they verify my identity. I joined FB specifically to ask questions on the NPT page and apparently that's suspicious.

Anyway, my fiancee and I are hitting the NPT in just a couple days and I'm hoping for some words of wisdom from folks who know the trail. Our goal each day is to end up at a scenic tent-site (we won't be using the lean-tos) with swimming opportunities a plus. I have heard some sites are much better than others and I want to avoid hiking past one the morning after and wishing we had stayed there.

Any intel on current trail conditions (mud, bugs, high water) would also be greatly appreciated. Our planned itinerary is as follows - if my miles are way off, please let me know. Thanks in advance for taking the time to help!

Godfrey Rd. to Canary Pond: 9.5 miles
Canary Pond to Piseco (Irondequoit campground): 15.1 miles
Piseco to Spruce Lake (best tent site?): 11.2 miles
Spruce Lake to Cedar Lake (best tent site?): 11.9 miles
Cedar Lake to Wakely Dam and out: 10.4 miles

THANKS!

Tom
trmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:51 PM   #2
TCD

Call the folks at the Irondequoit. If it is still the same folks as in 07, they're really nice and helpful. The camping is right on the lake and very nice. IIRC, breakfast the next day was slow, and it held us up a bit getting started to Spruce Lake. Spruce Lake is gorgeous, and ice cold for swimming, even in August. The LT by the lake is super nice; don't know about the tent sites, but I am sure they are there.

Sounds like a nice trip! Enjoy. When you come back to finish the northern part of the trail, you will really enjoy that; I think it's prettier than the southern half.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #3
Fly Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmac View Post
Spruce Lake to Cedar Lake (best tent site?): 11.9 miles
Cedar Lake to Wakely Dam and out: 10.4 miles

THANKS!

Tom
Trails around the Cedar Lakes were in good shape this weekend. A little wet in spots from last week's rains, but nothing serious.

All of the tent sites around Cedar are pretty solid. The one just near the bridge of the Beaver Pond outlet is pleasant. There are big leeches in the water there tho', swimming is probably better on the Cedar Lakes side. You might get to harvest some wild blueberries or raspberries before the bears and other hikers get them all.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:43 AM   #4
dundee

Just so you know, the trail starts in Niorthville, no longer at Godfrey Rd.; if you wish to do the whole thing.

I'n nit sure Canary is a legal tent site. Last time I was there, there was no marker designating it as such. However, people do camp there and it's good swimming.

The best site at Spruce is #3, the most northern. You can stay in one of the original 1922 lean-tos or tent nearby in a designated site. Swimming?

Cedar Lakes has a good site just south of the dam. The one near the bridge at Beaver Pond is a little small & crowded for me. The one near the dam is open. I'd say no for swimming at Cedar.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Cedar Lakes has a good site just south of the dam. The one near the bridge at Beaver Pond is a little small & crowded for me. The one near the dam is open. I'd say no for swimming at Cedar.
I respectfully disagree here, the Beaver Pond tent site is a great alternative to the other more popular sites, and even has room for at least 3 tents or more, and swimming from the sand beach directly adjacent to the trail in that stretch is nice & easy.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote