North Point Road to Brandreth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Point Road to Brandreth

I enjoy running on North Point Road in the Buttermilk Falls/Forked Lake area. At the Forked Lake turnoff there's that ominous "Dead End" sign, but I know the road goes on forever and a day past it.

I've wanted to do a bike trip but never having been more than a mile or so past the dead end sign I'm curious as to how far the public road goes.

Is there a point where it becomes gated and/or private so as to exclude road bikes?

Thanks for any information.
    Five Thousand Acres of Peace & Serenity
    Far from the Hubbub of the High Peaks.
    sigpic
    Join Blue Mountain Lake Club
    "We have Our Own High Peak!"
    www.bmlcny.com

Yes, there is a gate at the Brandreath property, AKA Friends of Thayer Lake. I can't remember how many miles it is, tho;.

Comment

The gate at the end of public access on North Point Road is about 11.5 miles from Route 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
        The gate at the end of public access on North Point Road is about 11.5 miles from Route 30.
        That is exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks Justin!
        sigpic
        www.bmlcny.com

Comment

This road holds memories for me. I really enjoy the seclusion and scenery but it holds one bad memory. About 10 years ago someone intentionally ran me off the road. Fortunately I heard him coming and baled for the dirt. My daughter was about 70 yards in back of me and said he swerved to hit me. Unfortunately it happened so quick I was unable to get and ID on vehicle but I was sure he was a permanent resident.

I always try to go at least once a summer. Wish I were younger!

Comment

Originally posted by cityboy View Post
            This road holds memories for me. I really enjoy the seclusion and scenery but it holds one bad memory. About 10 years ago someone intentionally ran me off the road. Fortunately I heard him coming and baled for the dirt. My daughter was about 70 yards in back of me and said he swerved to hit me. Unfortunately it happened so quick I was unable to get and ID on vehicle but I was sure he was a permanent resident.

I always try to go at least once a summer. Wish I were younger!
            Wow, that's disheartening to hear. So glad you reacted quickly enough. You didn't say if you were running or biking, but regardless of which I will admit that there are a lot of blind curves and rises on the road. And yes, the remoteness and quietness usually affords you a hearing advantage for vehicular traffic. So far my experience is that everyone has given me a wide berth. Of course I always run towards oncoming traffic, too.
            sigpic
            www.bmlcny.com

Comment

Working...
            X