Heart Rate Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart Rate Monitor

Anyone here use a heart rate monitor? I never have but am now considering one. I normally use sweat and breathing as a guide to monitor when I'm overexerting myself.
    I recently was monitored by a health tech while indoor cycling and was told to slow down based on heart rate. I wasn't even hardly breathing hard or sweating. I shudder to think what my heart was when pushing myself and at my age maybe it's better to be safe than sorry.
    Any recommendations?

I just stop and check my pulse for 10 seconds.

But I know there is some nice equipment out there...

Comment

The basic Polar ones work fine for general monitoring. The more expensive ones let you break things into zones and record the effort for later downloading / analyzing.
      I
      f you are on an iPhone or Android phone you can get a polar Bluetooth strap and use various apps to get the HR (and GPS, etc...) - this will suck battery though, depending on what you are doing and where you are. Check compatibility with your phone first.

Garmin has some products that will do GPS, HR, cadence, etc. etc.

Comment

I did some research on heart rate monitors for my Dad, who was recovering from heart surgery and the consensus was that heart rate monitors with a chest sensor are much more accurate that a wrist device.

It depends on what your goal is, whether you need the accuracy of the chest strap/sensor.

Comment

I just picked one up in Walmart's. It's a Sportsline. Has both wrist and chest strap capability (strap included). I used just the wrist function and it differed by about 5% from my blood pressure machine pulse reading. Cost $50. Added plus - it replaces my old hunting watch with back-lighting to boot. Wake up alarm too.
          Let's see how long it lasts.

Comment

The ones which transmit remotely are very expensive. If ordered by a Cardiologist they will charge your Medicare big bucks. I wore one for a couple of weeks and the results were benign. It is best to have one prescribed for you just to alleviate any worries about your ticker. They are very accurate. IMHO anything less could be inaccurate just like the BP monitor in Walmart. As the wiseguys would say "Forget about it."
            Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Check out the Mio Fuse. I got one this year so I could study while on my spin bike and be reminded to keep my effort up. It is a wrist-based HRM and seems pretty accurate. It vibrates when you switch HR "zones" It is also an activity tracker and can measure distance and time on the bike.

Fit bit also just came out with a wrist HRM; it is a lot more expensive but does a lot more.
              “One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds.” ~ Aldo Leopold

Comment

Working...
              X