No announcement yet.

The Adirondack Trail Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey all, here's a link to the site where you can track each riders progress via satellite.

What a beautiful morning for them to start this adventure in, considering the weather for the last week.

Live tracking event map for Adirondack Trail Ride 2015. A self-supported bikepacking challenge in the Adirondack Mountains of New York. with leaderboard coverage, including links to individual track history pages

Comment

Stick a fork in him, he's done!!

Hi guys, I just got home last night from my attempt at TATR15. I made it 157 miles through to Inlet and met my wife and son at Screamen Eagle for wings , beers and a trip back to Northville to my car. The next place I could have met them was Number Four and it would have required a loonng shuttle back to my car(and a cold wet ride through Stillwater). I was real happy with my progress, doing the 157 miles in 2 1/2 days with a lot of snowmobile trails and some hike-a-bike. The second night I stealth camped in Indian Lake in a torrential downpour yet managed to keep my gear relatively dry. The course, far as I went, was a lot of backcountry snowmobile trails and dirt roads. There were many remote ponds and beautiful areas. Near one pond I heard 2 loons crying and stayed to listen for quite a while. I ended up carrying about 30 lbs of gear all together and was able to complete the last section (the Black Fly course) in 4 hours. Not bad for 60 lbs of bike and gear and 2 days of riding in my legs. My PB is 2:57 on my unladen bike! There are many areas that I would gladly return to and enjoy as a day trip or S24O.
      I'm not a Hippie, just a well groomed Mountain Man.

Comment

Nice job JimB. Congrats!
        sigpic

Comment

Nice job JimB... looks like a tough event / course / race.

Did anyone finish?

Hard to tell from the track leaders page.

Comment

Looks like only one rider is still going... and maybe the only to finish?

Comment

Hi Guys, I have been following the race by trackleaders and e-mail and only Michelle is still on course near Vanderwhacker Mt. The previous leader, Rich, was within about 40 miles when he called it quits on Sunday and caught a ride to the train station. I camped with him on the first night, between Northville and Speculator and rode with him till we passed Perkins Clearing. He had rode a train from Chicago to Schenectady and then biked to the start at Northville. After most of us dropped out on day 3, I really expected him to keep on going to the end. Michelle actually started a day later than the rest of us and is doing a great job of plugging away at the trip. Rich has a long term goal of doing a world tour by bike so he has the mental aptitude to keep on going. I believe Michelle has done the Tour Divide so this trip is shorter( though maybe not a lot easier:-) ).

The course is very tough, to me it was mostly because of the distance. I really enjoyed where the course went, some beautiful areas, but the time investment was more than I could wrap my head around. It was a great experience and I learned so much about this new type of racing. The GPS aspect was a challenge at first but was a pretty cool once I figured it out. The gear part was also fun with the planning and dialing in of the gear. I learned quite a bit and was inspired by a lot of bmikes posts here and on web forums.

I will definitely get out and tour different parts of the course in the future using the tracklog that I have now. The promoter, Mikey, did a lot of work to put this all together. He deserves a lot of credit for attempting something as big as this.

Comment

Any news on this? The website has been static. The track leaders page seems to be 'stuck' where it was not long after the start.

Anyone have a gps track they can share? I have some time in October for a trip and am starting to scheme about what I might do.

Comment

TATR15 info

Mike, there hasn't been any updates but I can tell you that there was one finisher. Michelle finished the event in 12 days and some hours. I think it shows on the trackleaders link. I was communicating with her by e-mail and she stuck it out to the end, even spending some time in Inlet waiting for some repairs at Pedals and Petals. Thinking back on the trip, it was very scenic and covered a lot of nice areas as far as I went. My wife and I went to the Adirondacks last weekend and I visited some of the road crossings and showed my wife some beautiful sites including a spot along the Sacandaga river where I had eaten breakfast after filtering some water. We talked of me doing some sections in the future in order to eventually tour the whole route.

I had tried to e-mail the GPX file to a friend, who was interested in the route, before the event, and I received an error message that is still showing up on my e-mail page. You could probably contact Mikey Imbartolo ( the promoter) and get a copy of the GPX file. He definitely has more computer savvy than me :-) .

In the course of the event, Mikey had to do a reroute near Cranberry Lake due to some issue with a landowner and hopefully that would be included in a new tracklog. Good luck doing some of the route. Let us know how it goes and make sure to include some pictures.

The more I think back on TATR, the more I realize what a huge undertaking it was for Mikey to plan an event of this magnitude. In the past, I have organized many mountain bike events but nothing on this scale. It was very interesting to take part in something using new technology and requiring so much preparation.

Comment

Originally posted by JimB View Post
                    Mike, there hasn't been any updates but I can tell you that there was one finisher. Michelle finished the event in 12 days and some hours. I think it shows on the trackleaders link. I was communicating with her by e-mail and she stuck it out to the end, even spending some time in Inlet waiting for some repairs at Pedals and Petals. Thinking back on the trip, it was very scenic and covered a lot of nice areas as far as I went. My wife and I went to the Adirondacks last weekend and I visited some of the road crossings and showed my wife some beautiful sites including a spot along the Sacandaga river where I had eaten breakfast after filtering some water. We talked of me doing some sections in the future in order to eventually tour the whole route.

I had tried to e-mail the GPX file to a friend, who was interested in the route, before the event, and I received an error message that is still showing up on my e-mail page. You could probably contact Mikey Imbartolo ( the promoter) and get a copy of the GPX file. He definitely has more computer savvy than me :-) .

In the course of the event, Mikey had to do a reroute near Cranberry Lake due to some issue with a landowner and hopefully that would be included in a new tracklog. Good luck doing some of the route. Let us know how it goes and make sure to include some pictures.

The more I think back on TATR, the more I realize what a huge undertaking it was for Mikey to plan an event of this magnitude. In the past, I have organized many mountain bike events but nothing on this scale. It was very interesting to take part in something using new technology and requiring so much preparation.

No luck from emailing the link on their site...
                    I've organized Randonneuring events here in VT, up to 400k in length ... those are at least done within 27 hours... I can imagine its a huge undertaking!

Comment

Originally posted by bmike-vt View Post
                      Any news on this? The website has been static. The track leaders page seems to be 'stuck' where it was not long after the start.

Anyone have a gps track they can share? I have some time in October for a trip and am starting to scheme about what I might do.
                      Mike- The GPS track is up on the website.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Riosacandaga View Post
                        Mike- The GPS track is up on the website.
                        I got an email back too. Thanks.

Comment

Hi Guys, an article on TATR15 was posted on Bikepacking Magazine. You can see it here http://bikepackersmagazine.com/the-a...ampaign=buffer

Comment

Originally posted by JimB View Post
                            Hi Guys, an article on TATR15 was posted on Bikepacking Magazine. You can see it here http://bikepackersmagazine.com/the-a...ampaign=buffer
                            I love how the Bikepacker's Magazine article starts out by calling the 'Dacks the "notorious Adirondack Mountains". Not an adjective I would ever use in describing the Adirondacks. I'd use terms like, "amazing", "awesome", "beautiful", "captivating", "delightful", "enchanting" and so on, right on up the alphabet. (No, I don't know what I would use for Q, X and Z.)

The photos were great though, as were the ones on BPM the week before about riding the Moose River Plains on the brink of winter. I am still planning to ride from Big Moose Station to Indian Lake, by way of Carter Station (backtrack), Adirondack Woodcraft Camps (where I was a camper 50 years ago), and Inlet via the Rondaxe Rd., next summer. Was going to do it this year, but my mom was ill so I spent vacation in suburban D.C..

Amazing route, if I do say so.

Ride safe,
                            Hans
                            "Come to the Forest, where the other you lives!"

Comment

Hey JimB..That is really great that you were able to complete a bunch of the course. Looks like it was pretty rugged going out there. Planning on heading up next weekend on the 20th for a depart on the loop early on the 21st

Anything that you or any others could share about your experiences would be appreciated.

Can't wait to get on with the adventure.....

thanks
                              Peri

Comment

If you are just doing it as a tour that is a great way to experience it. How much time do you have and how far do you plan to go? I had planned on touring the next section this year as I finished in Inlet last year at 151 miles. Some LIFE has gotten in the way and I don't know if I'll get a chance this year. I really enjoyed the section from Wells to Speculator. It passes a few remote lakes and the Pine Orchard which is spectacular. Any direct questions I would be glad to help. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X