Winter Backpacking Episode 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Backpacking Episode 11

New video up from this past weekend...a bit on the longer side, as per a few requests. Please enjoy, all comments welcome.

Adirondack Winter Backpacking Episode 11

I think their motto is, "I carry it in, YOU carry it out."

Comment

Another great video!

I liked the little wood cutting and sleeping bag hacks. Good stuff

New register at CP Rd.?
      Tick Magnet

Comment

Originally posted by Tick Magnet View Post
        New register at CP Rd.?
        Thanks man.
        A couple years now I think...maybe ‘16?
        I usually see someone from DEC while in the area, and Jenny & I just missed the ranger out on a ski patrol... but we only saw (& chatted) with two other guys & dogs in the parking lot all weekend.

Comment

And hey, did I notice you scroll past your last name when pointing out the graffiti on the lean to?

Comment

That was the old man, circa ‘84 I think.

Comment

I have a request for your next video: eat a vegetable!

Bacon on ham... WOW!

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
                I have a request for your next video: eat a vegetable!
                I did have plenty of potatoes, barley, & hops.

Comment

Hmmm... not sure potatoes count, and definitely questionable from a bag.
                  Last edited by montcalm; 02-20-2018, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
                    Hmmm... not sure potatoes count, and definitely question from a bag.
                    Ok then I will go back to chicken with rice & broccoli as seen in some of my other videos. I used to bring soup and/or stew a lot, not so much anymore.

Comment

I never saw the broccoli I guess... so serious

One thing that is really good is to take potatoes, peppers, onions, garlic and some olive oil and throw it on the fire in foil. Not much veg really, but makes great sides for dinner and great potatoes for breakfast. You can pre-boil the potatoes too. Little salt potatoes work the best IMO. If you prep everything and put in a bag it packs pretty small.

Another good thing for campfires is kebabs. Cherry tomatoes, onions, whole garlic, peppers. The tomatoes are little hard to pack, but you can toss them in something hard like a pot.

In the summer I like to cook up zucchini, squash, garlic, onions and peppers with some salt and oil in some foil... I usually leave the squash and zucchini whole and cut them on trail. They are tough and pack anywhere that way.

Another good one is brussel sprouts, chicken stock (or veg stock) and olive oil... mmm

Comment

Mmmmm, sounds good you quazy wabbit....

Comment

Another great video, thanks for posting. All your winter backpacking videos are inspiring me to try winter camping again- it's been a few years for me.

I liked the longer format- it was worth it to see Jenny dance. What was the music, it sounded good.

Comment

Thanks Madison!

Intro song: https://youtu.be/NBhZfHmByRY

Campfire song: https://youtu.be/HiVunqkZ1RM (performed by SCI in This Concert)
                            Last edited by Justin; 02-21-2018, 07:59 AM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure garlic and onions are God's gift to humans... I pretty much use them in anything that isn't a dessert.

There's more advanced stuff you can do too, but those things I mentioned above are really easy. The sprouts are surprisingly good cooked with stock - somehow they suck it up and get more tasty.

The kebabs or anything not in foil is better if you cook it on hardwood (Stewies wood is some of the best for flavor )

If you like meat on those kebabs, pork (or venison) tenderloin does real well. Chicken marinated in Italian dressing is OK too. You don't need to marinate the pork, but you can. Pretty much always drizzle them with OO and season with a little salt though.

If you don't like OO, any oil will work. Just don't use butter or anything that can burn at low temps in the foil.

Comment

Working...
                              X