Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
adk joe

hough and the range

I want to do the dix range excluding dix Starting at elk lake parking lot. I am familiar with the area but don't know anything about the hough herd path. I wanted to hike past macomb and the dix's on the main trail to hough where I will start and go over the rest ending at macomb. What path(s) is there that I can take to start on hough and end on macomb? I know where I am going once on hough I just don't know how to start on hough without going up the beckhorn or hunters pass. thx for the help!!
adk joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
Kevin
**BANNED**

There's no official path but from lillian brook lean-to there is supposedly an unofficial path some use to get between Dix and Hough. Haven't used it myself though, and it's faint at the top. I know people use this path but I don't think enough to keep the path obvious. You may lose it near blow down. I wouldn't do it unless you're comfortable with possibly whacking a good portion of it should you lose the path.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:23 PM   #3
woodlandclown

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk joe View Post
I want to do the dix range excluding dix Starting at elk lake parking lot. I am familiar with the area but don't know anything about the hough herd path. I wanted to hike past macomb and the dix's on the main trail to hough where I will start and go over the rest ending at macomb. What path(s) is there that I can take to start on hough and end on macomb? I know where I am going once on hough I just don't know how to start on hough without going up the beckhorn or hunters pass. thx for the help!!

i can find out for you. i am staying at elk lake lodge in Sept and plan to do the same hikes. Very excited--have wanted to stay there for years!
woodlandclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
Rik
H-E-R-O

The Lillian Brook path actually puts you on the south side of Hough so you would need to go to Hough and back and then continue along to Carson and Macomb. It leaves the marked trail just before Lillian Brook and was very easy to follow last October.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
adk joe

great, thx!! I had heard of the lilian herd path but was not shore where it actually led to, any other advice would be appreciated, thx guy!!
Old 08-15-2007, 07:22 AM   #6
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
The Lillian Brook path actually puts you on the south side of Hough
oops! thanks for catching that Rik.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:31 AM   #7
adk joe

So If I hike in to lilian brook lean-to, where abouts should I be looking for the path up Hough? I know where the trail splits and you can go left to the lean-to or continue to the right to get the the beckhorn, is it right at that junction, before? after? does it follow the brook for a bit? thx!!

By the way if anyone want's to tag along it's just me, I would love the company...going this weekend, maybe hike in friday night if anyone wants to come I can meet them on the trail saturday morning or in the parking lot friday night.

Last edited by adk joe; 08-15-2007 at 10:33 AM..
Old 08-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #8
yvon
ADK 46er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
The Lillian Brook path actually puts you on the south side of Hough so you would need to go to Hough and back and then continue along to Carson and Macomb. It leaves the marked trail just before Lillian Brook and was very easy to follow last October.
Is there a cairn close to the leanto for Lilianbrook path?
Is it before or after the LT, from Elk Lake?

Les randonnées de Annie et Yvon (Website)
----
Hiking pics, only
yvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:59 PM   #9
adk joe

Just to put this to bed...

The Herd path up lilian brook is in good shape, only a few spots with some small blowdown but nothing to cause a problem, the trail is very easy to follow as well. It's about 10 minutes before you get to the lean-to on the right. There is a small cairn there but it is definitly easy to miss if your not looking for it.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:38 PM   #10
Rik
H-E-R-O

ooops, just saw this and that I hadn't replied to questions. Sorry. Guess it worked out ok without my answers.