Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
LazyHiker

The Jaws

Is the ADK Mtn Club Trail from the Garden the standard approach for hiking Upper and Lower Wolfjaw?
LazyHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
rickhart

I think that's the way I first did them, though I think it might've been a loop involving Armstrong, Gothics, & the Orebed Trail. A lot of people come up from the Ausable Club side too, either just by Wedge Brook or by a loop using that and the Beaver Meadow Trail.
I wasn't entirely sure if you were asking the standard way, or the easiest way?
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
LazyHiker

Thanks. Well, both, actually - I've never hiked the ADK trail but am familiar with Beaver Meadow and Wedge. What's your take on which would be easier?
Old 07-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
Alpine1

I have done this trip several ways. I would suggest starting at the AMR gate and ascend the Wedge Brk trail and climb both L & U WJ from there (in that order). If you feel good when you get to U, you could continue on the Armstrong & Gothic and descend via the (I'm having a brain cramp) (trail #35) off Pyramid and walk the Lake Raod back to your vehicle.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
LazyHiker

Thanks, I'll take a look. Might throw in Armstrong and Gothics depending on how I'm doing for time.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Be aware that Upper WJ has a false summit. You'll know that you're at the true summit when you see the greatest sign in the mountains -- Upper Wolfjaw Summit 20 yds

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #7
rickhart

The least effort to get up the Wolf Jaws from the AMR side would be Wedge Brook up & down. But if you want to do a nice loop using Beaver Meadow Trail, I'm not sure it makes much difference which way; they both have steep parts. If you're not sure how much you want to do, maybe you should go up Wedge Brook, since that puts the side trip up Lower Wolf Jaw first -- that way you'd have a better feeling how much time & energy you have after getting to Upper WJ. However, by that time it's not that hard to go on to Armstrong: the col between isn't that much of a drop. There are some high ledges and a ladder, but it's quite manageable unless those features bother you.

Going on to Gothics and back via Pyramid and the lake, as Alpine suggests, would be a great hike, but that would be considerably more (not so much between Armstrong & Gothics, but the rest of that loop). I guess only you can tell, once you get past Armstrong, if you feel like doing it. I will say (in "tempter" mode) that Gothics & Pyramid have much better views than the other three. From Pyramid you have a stunning view of all the rock on that side of the upper Range; it feels like being out West somewhere.
The good news is that these options create a sort of modular hike which you can shorten or lengthen as you go along.

Last edited by rickhart; 07-27-2012 at 11:57 PM..
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I think my favorite approach is from the north, via the Range Trail. Climbing to the Chin, and then being able to see the true summit of Lower Wolfjaw and following the narrow ridge to it is pretty neat. Much more dramatic that climbing from the Wolfjaws col. Very few people ever climb it this way, too.

It'd be possible to incorporate this route into a loop from the Ausable Club as well, via the Deer Brook trail.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
LazyHiker

Great, thanks. Good information here, appreciate it.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
LazyHiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Ridgerunner View Post
Be aware that Upper WJ has a false summit. You'll know that you're at the true summit when you see the greatest sign in the mountains -- Upper Wolfjaw Summit 20 yds
And thanks for the photo! I'll look out for that sign post.