Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #1
Pauly D.

Hammock camping suggestions

I've been using a Hennessey Hammock for the past few years. Looking for feedback and tips from other hammock users.

I always end up sliding down inside the thing so my feet end up too elevated. This puts strain on the back of my knees while I sleep. I've tried changing the tension on the ridgeline and changing the pitch so it doesn't hang horizontally. Not sure if I need to keep the ridgeline really loose so the hammock acts more like a chair?

Other than that I really like the hammock. When I first set it up I thought it was kind of flimsy but it has held up well. The insulation system that they sell is also really warm. Learned that the hard way by getting a frozen behind the first time I used it.

Thanks,
Old 05-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
Wldrns

I have found over the years (>12 in a Hennessey) that the trick for me is to actually tie the foot end slightly higher than the head end. The reason is that gravity and the slipperiness of the hammock will determine where you actually end up, and the best place seems to result from a slightly higher foot tie. I make sure to utilize the full diagonal width when I climb in. Keep that ridge line tight. I actually will tie the ends tighter than I have seen generally recommended. After the initial tight tie, before I go to bed, if has stretched and is sagging, I tighten it again. I sleep comfortably flat on my side. Always a good night's sleep.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:26 PM   #3
richard1726

I currently have a very low priced hammock with attached insect netting, it weighs just a bit over one lb. with 400 lb test line for attachment to the trees. When I hang it I ensure that it has a deep droop to it. I then sleep on a diagonal and it feels like I am sleeping FLAT. I can easily sleep on my sides or back. It might be easier to stay on the diagonal by sleeping on your side as I normally do.
First night takes getting use to but I sleep like a rock from the 2nd night on. Any time the temp dips below 70° F I need a cheap pad or "quilt" under me to stay warm. I also attempt to protect the trees with cloth and sticks between the hanging lines and trees. Ideal tree separation is 14 feet for me.
(Hammock camping since 1973.)
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:39 PM   #4
Blackflie

I have been “ hanging” for about 15 years and went to a Hennessy expedition zip. Huge difference from the bottom entry. I use the under blanket and the biggest fly they make. Always use the tree hugger staps and went to jumar rings and carabiners as the lashing method.