Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2018, 09:15 PM   #1
Loopin for the Lama

Post on EMS site re: Dix Range rescue

Apologies if this has been posted - pretty concise account that points out that it wouldn't have taken much more planning and especially gear to prevent what might have been a much worse outcome.

http://goeast.ems.com/lost-in-the-di...eQrokz3l0OHPwk
Old 11-12-2018, 10:08 PM   #2
Trail Boss

JEEBUS, not Lecco Morris again! What a shameless self-promoter of utter incompetence!

Long story short, the guy got "lost" 150 yards off trail, less than a mile from the highway, and a few hundred yards upstream from a popular swimming hole, all while exiting along the same trail he used to enter the woods.

In addition, the claim "then my phone died in my hand" is BS. He uploaded his GPS track to All Trails then deleted it but not before a thumbnail of it was recorded, showing his track all the way back to where he got "lost". He also shared a screenshot of the track on Facebook showing where he got "lost". Dead phones don't record tracks but this one did so, not dead.

The fact EMS published his tale of gross incompetence (and BS) does not reflect well on them.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:05 AM   #3
gebbyfish

Just another reason not to shop there! As you said @Trail Boss, this is shameless self-promotion! I would rather see the story of the guy who was lost for two nights in the Sewards in 2011 that I found on the High Peaks Forum last night while searching for info on doing them in winter. Now THAT story was an impressive survival tale! I still can't believe Lecco was two miles from being out and they didn't make him march himself out. Helps to have a dad with pull I guess.

Last edited by gebbyfish; 11-13-2018 at 09:26 AM..
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
JEEBUS, not Lecco Morris again! What a shameless self-promoter of utter incompetence!

Long story short, the guy got "lost" 150 yards off trail, less than a mile from the highway, and a few hundred yards upstream from a popular swimming hole, all while exiting along the same trail he used to enter the woods.

In addition, the claim "then my phone died in my hand" is BS. He uploaded his GPS track to All Trails then deleted it but not before a thumbnail of it was recorded, showing his track all the way back to where he got "lost". He also shared a screenshot of the track on Facebook showing where he got "lost". Dead phones don't record tracks but this one did so, not dead.

The fact EMS published his tale of gross incompetence (and BS) does not reflect well on them.
Agreed. Article should start off with a disclaimer noting the point by point account of all the moronic mistakes he made (I can't speak to the lying about the phone)

I did this hike (minus McComb) with my family this summer. The route finding was a challenge (I have a TR somewhere on HP Forum) but we relied on the fact that I had taken the time to research the route, brought paper and electronic maps (did not use GPS; did not want to rely on connectivity because it's WILDERNESS), and we took the time to backtrack and scout our route before proceeding. Did so on at least 4 occasions: right off the bat, in the rabbit warren of trails around the swimming hole; at the first crossing; at the large campsite 3.5 mi. in; at the access to the slide (actually started up the path to the col and doubled back to get to slide).

Dopey, over-confident newbie to the area whose cockiness is dangerous. He should not be writing pieces like this without a note at the beginning apologizing for putting people at risk with his ignorance.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:23 AM   #5
gebbyfish

At least he apologizes at the end of it and acknowledges he was overconfident and unprepared.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #6
JohnnyVirgil

Lecco's journal, day 1: Not sure which way to go on this river. Down to half a liter of water. There's no other choice. I'll have to start drinking my own urine.

This version seems to inject a little more humility in spots. And some creative detail. Like how he was sure to only cut birch bark from downed trees. Riiiight.

"He intends to summit the Adirondack’s 46 High Peaks and Colorado’s 14ers, through-hike the Appalachian and Pacific-Crest Trails, walk the Camino del Santiago, and bike the length of the Italian and French coast, to name a few"

I'm jealous of his list, but he should probably invest in a PLB.

Last edited by JohnnyVirgil; 11-13-2018 at 09:48 AM..
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
tgoodwin

"Lecco's journal, day 1: Not sure which way to go on this river. Down to half a liter of water. There's no other choice. I'll have to start drinking my own urine."

Amazing that some people are so afraid of drinking pure Adirondack stream water that they would instead choose to drink their own urine.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #8
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwin View Post

Amazing that some people are so afraid of drinking pure Adirondack stream water that they would instead choose to drink their own urine.
He needs to have a talk with Eric Schlimmer!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #9
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwin View Post
"Lecco's journal, day 1: Not sure which way to go on this river. Down to half a liter of water. There's no other choice. I'll have to start drinking my own urine."

I wasn't quoting him, I was just making a joke. It seemed to pair well with roasted salamander.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #10
tenderfoot

ok - so he let someone know his trip plan. That is a big plus. And he turned around. Must be okay with cutting trip short. Although he was right - would have been better off following the group he met.

All downhill from there.

Would love EMS to put a list of essentials for hiking (even linking them to their store). We use paper more than GPS. I usually have three copies of the map - mine, my partners and one that rides in plastic at bottom of back with extra matches and flashlight). But I also try to get familiar with the area. I believe all water in that area flows down to rt 73.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #11
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
ok - so he let someone know his trip plan. That is a big plus.
In the original version of his story, even that was a last-minute afterthought done practically at the trailhead.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #12
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
I wasn't quoting him, I was just making a joke. It seemed to pair well with roasted salamander.
Haha! You got me!
Old 11-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #13
tenderfoot

Man bites dog vs dog bites man. We have some great trip reports on this site; bit not many sensational enough to be headliners on sites like EMS I guess. A few ideas I have been pondering:
  • Pee drinking - thankfully this seems to have been done already. So I can skip it.
  • Eating ones companions - Long a standard of lifeboat and stranded airliner crash stories. Let's not forget the Donner party.
  • Discovering an artifact - The key to finding something is often looking where you do not think it is. DB Cooper? Hoffa? Golden opportunity with those escaped killers a year or so ago. Bring them out of the woods at the tip of my trusty swiss army knife.
  • Sending pet for help: Ranger pulls up to trail head to find collie barking and making 'follow me' gestures... Happened to me recently and I sent my trusty spotted red salamanders on a mission for assistance but someone ate them.
  • Mauling: The wildlife may not cooperate with this one. But an off-leash pit bull who happened to be named 'Bear' would be great. 'Man mauled by Bear'.
  • Fringe: The mountains have gotten in the way of many an airplane. Must be even more difficult for folks flying in from off planet. 'Nuf said.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #14
gebbyfish

He did leave out the part about coming up to the women he met on Macomb and exclaiming, "Is this Dix?". :P
Old 11-13-2018, 03:48 PM   #15
Justin
Moving along

It’s nice to be able to read about a first hand account of the incident, and hopefully others can learn from his mistakes, but do we really need to be rewarding them by taking photos with their rescuers, or publishing their story on an EMS webpage, or giving television interviews for the two kids that chose to spend 2 nights up on Algonquin a couple winters ago. Year after year, almost on a weekly basis there is a at least one rescue in the weekly Ranger reports of some unprepared hiker(s). When is enough enough already?! Make these people pay for the rescue, or let’s institute a Hike Safe Card, or something similar to make unprepared hikers like this a little more accountable for their unpreparedness.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:36 AM   #16
Trail Boss

@Justin

This particular rescue incident stood out for me. It was caused by obvious incompetence and the rescue involved a non-trivial expenditure of time and effort. Basically, ten thousand dollars worth of rescue instead of ten dollar's worth of prevention. The ratio is not in favor the taxpayer's wallet.

As much as I agree with you that something ought to be done, it won't happen unless you, a NYS taxpayer, demands it. FWIW, I communicated with a DEC ranger about this rescue and was informed the ranger's union does not believe there should be chargebacks for rescues. Their union has more political pull than a bunch of grumbly hikers on the internet.

I'm neither a NYS taxpayer or US citizen so my voice doesn't count for much. However, if you and others feel strongly about it, you all need to contact your elected representatives. Otherwise, all this online grumbling is just for raising one's blood pressure and not much else.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #17
Justin
Moving along

Thanks Boss,
Not to get too political but many voices have been heard for change, and most of upstate NY voted differently than the results in the recent elections. I agree with your post, and just wanted to add to the discussion. I keep wondering how many more Davis’s & Stevens’s it’s going to take before any real change is made in the amount of unprepared & uneducated hikers & campers, etc that visit & recreate in the Adirondacks. Do you read those Ranger reports? I wonder how many 911 calls there have been in the past, say 3 years, that would fall under the “unprepared” category...? I should start keeping better track.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #18
Justin
Moving along

Speaking of rescuing unprepared hikers...
God bless our NYS Rangers!

Unprepared hiker rescued from Mt. Marcy
Old 11-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #19
Eddie Fournier

Woudn't going downstream, of any stream, get you to Route 73? Or getting a bearing from the North Star?

This area is so well-defined by its mountains and valleys that I find it surprising someone could get truly lost.
Eddie Fournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #20
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Speaking of rescuing unprepared hikers...
God bless our NYS Rangers!

Unprepared hiker rescued from Mt. Marcy
Haha! Good one! Both a poster-child for obliviousness and candidate for the Darwin Award.

I honestly try to be generous and understanding, given that I've made my fair share of newbie errors in all aspects of life, but sometimes you just have to call it like you see it and this one's "You can't fix stupid."

It's a wonder to me to discover how many people fail to learn from humanity's accumulated knowledge (often paid for in blood) and try to discover it all over again (with the same bad results). Like sticking your hand in fire, or swimming with jellyfish, or standing with your back to a precipice for a selfie, or hiking to Marcy in snowy November with no more than what you'd wear, and bring, to the mall.