Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #21
sheri

Anne is getting elderly now and has just sold her home in Wadhams. The word is, she will be moving into a retirement home. Anne has had a lot of harsh critics and staunch supporters over the years. One thing is for sure, she generates a strong reaction from people. As you have noted, she is friendly at book signings, but can be aloof and sometimes hostile if you approach her unexpectedly in public. It is, I suspect, how she protects herself, especially since some of her critics chose to burn down her barn (with her vehicles and equipment inside it). Fame brings all kinds of good and bad publicity. Perhaps the best thing to do is take away the good things you can glean from her books and environmental advocacy and try to ignore her eccentric and sometimes unfriendly or arrogant behavior. She has, after all, done a lot of good work in Park protection.
sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:13 AM   #22
coopersc

I don't think it would imprudent all these years later to say that Black Bear Lake was the name given for the real lake, T***. It's located off the road to Big Moose Lake and if you read the descriptions in the books closely, you'll figure out where her camp was.

Last edited by Neil; 10-20-2008 at 06:40 AM..
coopersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:19 AM   #23
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopersc View Post
I don't think it would imprudent all these years later to say that Black Bear Lake was the name given for the real lake, T***. It's located off the road to Big Moose Lake and if you read the descriptions in the books closely, you'll figure out where her camp was.
That WAS a not-so-well-kept secret that she fiercely protected to maintain her privacy when she thought she was famous. But you're right, it probably doesn't matter much anymore.

Last edited by Neil; 10-20-2008 at 06:40 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:18 AM   #24
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
That WAS a not-so-well-kept secret that she fiercely protected to maintain her privacy when she thought she was famous. But you're right, it probably doesn't matter much anymore.
The first chapter in Woodswoman II is very telling. I read the first book, found it very pretentious and self-involved, and lost all interest in the rest of the series. I've only glanced through volumes II through IIII.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:39 AM   #25
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildriver View Post
The first chapter in Woodswoman II is very telling. I read the first book, found it very pretentious and self-involved, and lost all interest in the rest of the series. I've only glanced through volumes II through IIII.
My somewhat negative impression was made when she was asked to speak to a group of about 30 Adirondack High Adventure Guide trainees and staff. As she was an acquaintance of one of the instructors, we all expected some great Adirondack stories that would be informative and useful to the group. The whole evening turned into a self-involved presentation on her recent trip to South America for the purpose of promoting her just released book, followed by her sitting at a table expecting to sign and sell a whole stack of the books she had brought along. The presentation was interesting, but we all agreed not worth taking the time from our busy ADIRONDACK focused training week.

Last edited by Wldrns; 06-10-2008 at 10:38 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #26
Marty From SF
Left Coast Correspondent

Anne LaBastille

Anne will be at the HOSS Booksigning in August in Long Lake along with many, many other authors. She is very friendly, but guards her private life intensely. Write her first and be sure to mention that you 'value her privacy'. She'll respect you for that. I've spent some time with Anne and it is tough to get older and still want your independence. She is stubborn, generous, passionate and tenacious. I highly respect her.
Marty From SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #27
Marty From SF
Left Coast Correspondent

Anne LaBastille

BTW - Anne is currently working on the next installment of "Woodswoman V". I found "Beyond Black Bear lake" (#2) to be the most representative of her personality.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #28
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
My somewhat negative impression was made when she was asked to speak to a group of about 30 Adirondack High Adventure Guide trainees and staff. As she was an acquaintance of one of the instructors, we all expected some great Adirondack stories that would be informative and useful to the group. The whole evening turned into a self-involved presentation on her recent trip to South America for the purpose of promoting her just released book, followed by her sitting at a table expecting to sign and sell a whole stack of the books she had brought along. The presentation was interesting, but we all agreed not worth taking the time from our busy ADIRONDACK focused training week.
Through the grapevine, I have heard more negative comments about her public appearances than positive... and not necessarily from disappointed fans, either, but from what we might consider business associates and colleagues. These include:
  • Her books play up her cabin on "Black Bear" but downplay the fact she lived fulltime in a condo in Florida. (I don't know if that's true, but that was the claim leveled against her.)
  • One publisher had to repeatedly put her back "on topic" during a public presentation because she was constantly digressing.
  • She would bring her German shepherds to booksignings, despite the fact the dogs weren't always well behaved around strangers.
I certainly don't want to turn this into an "ALB Hatefest", because Anne is certainly an intelligent person and a key player in Adirondack political history. But her appeal to members of her own generation isn't shared by younger people.

Someone I used to work with--a single woman who owns a camp just outside the Adirondack Park--bought the original Woodswoman because she thought it was going to be about a woman who went out into the wilderness and fended for herself, which is sort of how the book is billed. Of course, T*** Lake is densely developed, and Anne hired contractors to build the cabin if I recall correctly. My friend gave up with the "tree hugging episode", where Anne writes about hugging a pine tree and feeling its "life force". Our joke was that there was a live electrical wire snagged in one of the branches...because I've been to T*** Lake, and I've seen the power lines encircling the lake.

Last edited by Bill I.; 10-19-2008 at 11:47 PM..
Old 06-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #29
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty From SF View Post
Anne will be at the HOSS Booksigning in August in Long Lake along with many, many other authors.
...including certain ADKForum contributors, I'm sure.

She wasn't at last year's event, and in previous years she doesn't stay for the full two hours. When she is present, her station is always one of the busiest. I'm sure many people missed her last year, since when any of the old regulars don't make it to Authors' Night many people take note.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #30
Marty From SF
Left Coast Correspondent

Anne LaBastille

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildriver View Post
...including certain ADKForum contributors, I'm sure.

She wasn't at last year's event, and in previous years she doesn't stay for the full two hours. When she is present, her station is always one of the busiest. I'm sure many people missed her last year, since when any of the old regulars don't make it to Authors' Night many people take note.
Yeah, I missed last year's Author's Night. Anne L. has taken to hiding out - whereever it seems; slowly cutting ties to old acquaintances. She's getting old and her fiery independence must be frustrating as hell.

P.S. She does NOT use computers - HATES them.

Last edited by Marty From SF; 06-10-2008 at 11:31 PM..
Old 06-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #31
eArThworm

Just realized I never posted about what happened after I wrote to Anne in 2005.
I had told her what my itinerary would be and she called the inn at Piseco
on the date I had told her I'd be there. But my hike got aborted before
I reached Piseco, so I wasn't there to get the call. So she wrote to me
at my home, offering to autograph the books if I mailed them to her. Which
is what I did. So I didn't get to meet her, but I have a signed letter, at least.

I can't imagine she'll be happy in a retirement home, but who knows. I have
problems with that idea for myself as well 'cause I'm an independent old cuss, too.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #32
leafmiles

i heard she had avocado plants in her last home
leafmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:00 PM   #33
sheri

Anne LaBastile is very aged now and has been moved to a retirement home. Her days of public appearances are over. Whether you liked her or not, she has certainly been an Adirondack personality and her presence will be missed out and about.
sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #34
harvey

If you have not already sent this extra copy (the 1975 National Geographic with Anne's article), I would love to receive it. Let me know how much the charge would be (postage, handling or whatever).
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #35
Sn.Forester

One interesting point about the 1975 National Geographic article is that there is a photograph of her orange backpacking tent right on the top of one of the High Peaks - either Mt. Marcy or Algonquin. At that time, a great deal of work was being done by Dr. Ketchledge at ESF and the 46-R's on alpine revegetation. This photo did a great deal of damage, and as an APA Commissioner and Ph.D ecologist, she should have known better!
Sn.Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #36
Trailpatrol

I became friends with Anne before we moved to Minnesota. We shared a passion for German Shepherds, and she attended one of the SAR dog schools our group hosted back in the mid-'80s in Old Forge. We communicated for a while after we moved out here, but it kind of petered out after a year or two. Haven't heard from her since.

My wife and my mother went to a seminar where she was the main speaker, at Sagamore back in the early '80s. My wife, a "woods woman" of her own merit, felt she learned more from the other speakers. My mom, wife of a well known sportscaster (my Dad), who had been around celebrities all of her married life, didn't give Anne much notice, and kind of wandered around the Great Camp on her own, looking at things. So much so that Anne came up to her and asked if everything was alright, and was she enjoying herself?

If you ever watch "NCIS", I had one of those "Gibbs moments" the first time I met her: I was talking with some of the other instructors at the SAR dog school about her, and I was probably not too complimentary. I saw two of them look past me as I was talking, and said, "She's right behind me, right?" Actually she was just walking up behind me.

Be safe,
Hans
Old 03-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #37
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri View Post
Anne LaBastile is very aged now and has been moved to a retirement home. Her days of public appearances are over. Whether you liked her or not, she has certainly been an Adirondack personality and her presence will be missed out and about.

Sheri,

I would like to visit her with some cub scouts who would like to meet her. How do we contact her?

Thanks.
Trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #38
mtwoman8

Hello Everyone!
I have to say this was the most unfriendly thread I have encountered here . I read the first book, it was interesting. I don't ever remember her saying she was an old time mt woman. She just seemed to be someone that wanted to live a somewhat simple solitary life for a while. And she did write about the contractors who helped build and move her cabin and why.
mtwoman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #39
mtwoman8

By the way I am not a mt woman, I'm a city billy.
mtwoman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:40 PM   #40
oldladymac
future hermit

Quote:
I have to say this was the most unfriendly thread I have encountered here .
mtwomen8, I have to agree!
Seem to me the men folk are little hard on Ms LaBastille. Feeling a bit insecure guys? I have read all of her books, have met her, and she could not have been more gracious or accommodating to me & my children. Anne never claimed to be a Jeremiah Johnson living off the land. She was a scientist. She was a fore runner in the conservation & ecology movement in the ADK Park. She educated people on the dangers of dumping raw sewage into the lakes. She knew that the lake was changing and sought answers, something we now call acid rain. She knew first hand the devastating effect on waterfowl that a lake over run w/ motor traffic can have. No she didn’t live off the land but she tried like hell to protect it at a time when it was an anomaly to do so.

Quote:
Of course, T*** Lake is densely developed, and Anne hired contractors to build the cabin if I recall correctly.
Wildriver were you around the park in the 60s & 70s when Anne’s books take place? Cause, I was. It was not the lush heavily forested park you see today. It was also not the vacation destination it is today. It was still being heavily logged, forest fires were a huge threat and there was nowhere in the park that was heavily populated. Every town had a “dump” not the more palatable “transfer station” and DDT fell like rain from the sky. Ann had 2 guys help her with the cabin, one would hardly call them “contractors” she was moving huge logs...hard for anyone to do alone. And if she had a nice warm weather condo to go to, well good for her! I know many North Country residents who bug out for a few months, that’s hardly a statement to her credibility.

I admit, Ann is no pullitzer prize winner, but her books are a true and acurate record of that time period and of her life.

Packing up my soap box now!
oldladymac is offline   Reply With Quote