Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #41
Ms Guided

So who are your role models of Woodswoman???

I agree Anne was a fine role model for a woodswoman. You may note there is not an over abundant supply! Great books, in my opinion. Her personal life is just that.

If you don't think she was such a fine role model, you should I be looking to?
Preferably someone local.

Sincerely - thanks!

Moderators - Maybe this could be a new thread???
Ms Guided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #42
oldladymac
future hermit

Woodswoman’ Anne LaBastille dies at 75

http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com....html?nav=5008

Rest in peace Anne. I hope it was a kind & peaceful death. You were a great friend to the environment.

olm
oldladymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #43
Marty From SF
Left Coast Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Guided View Post
I agree Anne was a fine role model for a woodswoman. You may note there is not an over abundant supply! Great books, in my opinion. Her personal life is just that.

Sincerely - thanks!

A new thread would be great. Great for all the Adirondack guides we've lost.
Many have stories to tell about these people. Anne was complex. I was so privilged to know her.
Marty From SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #44
Marty From SF
Left Coast Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn.Forester View Post
One interesting point about the 1975 National Geographic article is that there is a photograph of her orange backpacking tent right on the top of one of the High Peaks - either Mt. Marcy or Algonquin. At that time, a great deal of work was being done by Dr. Ketchledge at ESF and the 46-R's on alpine revegetation. This photo did a great deal of damage, and as an APA Commissioner and Ph.D ecologist, she should have known better!
That was 1975 before regulations were in place or people knew the extent of teh damage that would occur in the future. Anne would have been the first to back up thsoe regulations (in fact, she did later on).
Old 07-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #45
Marty From SF
Left Coast Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildriver View Post
Through the grapevine, I have heard more negative comments about her public appearances than positive... and not necessarily from disappointed fans, either, but from what we might consider business associates and colleagues. These include:
  • Her books play up her cabin on "Black Bear" but downplay the fact she lived fulltime in a condo in Florida. (I don't know if that's true, but that was the claim leveled against her.)
  • One publisher had to repeatedly put her back "on topic" during a public presentation because she was constantly digressing.
  • She would bring her German shepherds to booksignings, despite the fact the dogs weren't always well behaved around strangers.
I certainly don't want to turn this into an "ALB Hatefest", because Anne is certainly an intelligent person and a key player in Adirondack political history. But her appeal to members of her own generation isn't shared by younger people.

Someone I used to work with--a single woman who owns a camp just outside the Adirondack Park--bought the original Woodswoman because she thought it was going to be about a woman who went out into the wilderness and fended for herself, which is sort of how the book is billed. Of course, T*** Lake is densely developed, and Anne hired contractors to build the cabin if I recall correctly. My friend gave up with the "tree hugging episode", where Anne writes about hugging a pine tree and feeling its "life force". Our joke was that there was a live electrical wire snagged in one of the branches...because I've been to T*** Lake, and I've seen the power lines encircling the lake.
This is in response to an old post; but those rumors are just that. She passed away on July 1, 2011 and I can say she was great friends with famous guides Paul Jamieson and Clarence Petty. She has the same respect they garnered and contributed a heck of a lot more to the preservation of the Adirondacks than I or most posters here have.

R.I.P. Dr. LaBastille. Your work lives on.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #46
dundee

Like all of us, she had her good points and bad. I thought her books were very phony as was her lifestyle. I know she lived in an apartment in Queensbury while she was supposed to be at Black Bear, but she seemed to care very much for the environment and the ADK's and all in all, tried to do some good.

Many of us have contradictions in our lives ( a friend works for a big chemical company, but he's always for the environment), I think her heart was mostly in the right place.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #47
yellowcanoe

I feel privileged to have shared a student office with her at Cornell in 1968.

Now she will be freed from the tyranny of the public who is a friend and an enemy. She will be able to paddle and hike and live as she wishes.

And I feel old now..I see people characterized her as "elderly"

yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #48
Marty From SF
Left Coast Correspondent

Quote:

Sincerely - thanks!

I don't see Adirondack guides by thier gender, but thier specialities.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #49
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty From SF View Post
A new thread would be great. Great for all the Adirondack guides we've lost.
Many have stories to tell about these people. Anne was complex. I was so privilged to know her.
Quote:

Sincerely - thanks!

I'm not sure that a new thread is necessary. This one seems to be all-encompassing and doing just fine! But if there is another slant to her that someone feels should be given a new thread, feel free to start one.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #50
wildbrookies

O.k..
I have to chime in ,if you don`t mind...first of all I think Anne was a very remarkable person...I bought and read almost all of her books...and always dreamed of living a life such as hers...except for the stupid negativity she seemed to create ...I think some people thought she was some kind of threat to them..I guess people thought she was a danger to them because she was opposed to alot of what goes on in the Adk`s and would never back down to anyone...gotta respect people like her...I think its people like her that has made the Adk`s what they are today.I`m sorry to she her go...I found her first book and had to buy it in Keene Valley while just recently meeting and taking my wife to-be up in the Adk`s...hiking and fishing made special memories...so, she will always have a soft spot in my heart..just hope she finds more peace where she is headed and tranquility.

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #51
Marty From SF
Left Coast Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
O.k..
I have to chime in ,if you don`t mind...first of all I think Anne was a very remarkable person...I bought and read almost all of her books...and always dreamed of living a life such as hers...except for the stupid negativity she seemed to create ...I think some people thought she was some kind of threat to them..I guess people thought she was a danger to them because she was opposed to alot of what goes on in the Adk`s and would never back down to anyone...gotta respect people like her...I think its people like her that has made the Adk`s what they are today.I`m sorry to she her go...I found her first book and had to buy it in Keene Valley while just recently meeting and taking my wife to-be up in the Adk`s...hiking and fishing made special memories...so, she will always have a soft spot in my heart..just hope she finds more peace where she is headed and tranquility.

WB
wildbrookies: Great comments. She could be cantankerous, but that saved a lot of the PARK. Despite others claims, she did not embelish her works. They were all non-fiction. Try living her lifestyle and NOT have those things happen. She was seriously targeted by developers/hoods and did live in constant fear (more for her dogs to be honest - that was her greatest fear). To be harrassed constantly and have some cowards burn down your barn (enough that commercial airlines reported the burn!) would terrify anyone, but she stood her ground. Everyone but the developers benefitted, but the APA and Anne were fair enough to all. A compromise is a compromise, but she was very very conservative about the Adirondacks. She was the first to alarm the world about acid rain in the Adirondacks (National Geographic). That alone is noteworthy. Enough. Many people will miss her, but will also remember her.

Photo: Summer 2003. Her lake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 199.jpg (150.8 KB, 247 views)
Old 07-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #52
Marty From SF
Left Coast Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Like all of us, she had her good points and bad. I thought her books were very phony as was her lifestyle. I know she lived in an apartment in Queensbury while she was supposed to be at Black Bear, but she seemed to care very much for the environment and the ADK's and all in all, tried to do some good.

Many of us have contradictions in our lives ( a friend works for a big chemical company, but he's always for the environment), I think her heart was mostly in the right place.
After 1976 and her cabin was built (of course she had help! Who could manage those logs, chinking, metal roof, etc.) she would spend most of her time year round at her cabin, but when she started getting older and weaker, she bought a small farmhouse near Westport for the winters. She had some scares crossing the ice a few times - always alone. When Altzeimer's started to show (she believed copper in the local water contributed) (?) she spent weekends only, if that, at her cabin. There was an electrical line near her property, but she never tapped into it. She refused. Her gravity water system for her house stopped working, she stopped using gas and just ate simply, her only luxury really being a wood burning stove and the cabin on the lake. She did not care much for Westport. She eventually didn't remember me at all.

Enough sadness. This is a true story she never had a chance to write about that occured around 2003. She was quietly sitting in her outhouse located 100 yards from her cabin when she spied a very large black gentleman walking by - less than 50 feet away! Compromising??? He was walking about her property and eventually left. A few weeks later she discovered it was an African student visiting her neighbors for the summer. Thier place was down the lake and he had decided to bushwhack the 4 miles to thier camp. Truth is stranger than fiction.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #53
Wldrns

I guess my lasting memory of her would have been different if she had presented herself differently when I met her. She was asked to speak to a group of Adirondack wilderness guide trainees about the Adirondacks. Instead she showed up with a slide show about her recent trip to South America, along with a stack of books about that trip to sign and sell. Her slide show was interesting enough for what it was, but certainly not what this group wanted to hear in this venue, and her pushing of the book sale was just too much over the top. No one in the class bought a single book.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #54
oldladymac
future hermit

Marty - Awesome picture! How wonderful it must have been to know her. I would have loved to sit around her stove and have a conversation.

thanks for sharing

olm
oldladymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:29 AM   #55
Marty From SF
Left Coast Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
I guess my lasting memory of her would have been different if she had presented herself differently when I met her. She was asked to speak to a group of Adirondack wilderness guide trainees about the Adirondacks. Instead she showed up with a slide show about her recent trip to South America, along with a stack of books about that trip to sign and sell. Her slide show was interesting enough for what it was, but certainly not what this group wanted to hear in this venue, and her pushing of the book sale was just too much over the top. No one in the class bought a single book.
Adirondack Guides are a rare breed. A world-wide known female guide particularly so. I have high respect for all past and present and would never admonish one post mortem. Sometimes we all lose our 'moral-compass'.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #56
wildbrookies

Very well said Marty...to me ,she was `One of a Kind`...I always try to remember the good things about people not the negative...BTW, I`m pretty sure,no one on this planet is perfect at everything in life. `If you have nothing good to say about somebody(especially ,the deceased) `Say nothing`!!

Sorry, just my opinion...

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #57
Marty From SF
Left Coast Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
Very well said Marty...to me ,she was `One of a Kind`...I always try to remember the good things about people not the negative...BTW, I`m pretty sure,no one on this planet is perfect at everything in life. `If you have nothing good to say about somebody(especially ,the deceased) `Say nothing`!!

Sorry, just my opinion...

WB
The New York Times finally got a nice article out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/ny...t-75.html?_r=1
Old 07-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #58
HappyCamper
Otter Watcher

Marty that's a great picture. I saw her there a couple of times, out on the water or coming & going in her truck. I'll never forget it.
HappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #59
Marty From SF
Left Coast Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
Marty that's a great picture. I saw her there a couple of times, out on the water or coming & going in her truck. I'll never forget it.
It was around 1985 when I saw a 3 page article about her in the San Francisco Sunday Chronicle with an interview and excerps from her 'Woodswoman II' book. She was describing how a guy in a kayak approached her land, claiming great personal satisfaction in finding her through clues in her book. She pulled out a rifle and warned him not to trepass. He left with a few choice words. At first I thought that was rude. But then again, a single woman two miles from the nearest road, approached by a stranger who basically had stalked her (in a freindly way, I can only hope) and wanted a tour of her land and cabin? Her reasoning was, "did he expect me to invite him up for a cappucino?" If read anything by her, you would know of the arson, death threats, vandalism, etc., she had to endure from her conservative stance on the APA. Her cabin was built in 1969 on a lake with only 2 year-round residents (now all seasonal only). There were no large motorboats or jet skis. No waves to destroy the loon nests. No noise. Its been over 40 years and things have changed, but a lot has not due to her and the APA's diligent work.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #60
Marty From SF
Left Coast Correspondent

Anne LaBastille's Final Obit

From Doris Herwig

AN ICON DIES
ANNE LaBASTILLE "THE WOODSWOMAN"

PLATTSBURGH, NY * Mariette Anne LaBastille, PhD, a/k/a Anne LaBastille “The Woodswoman”, ecological consultant, free-lance writer, lecturer and photographer, peacefully passed on to her new life on July 1, 2011 at Meadowbrook Healthcare in Plattsburgh, NY.

Born Nov. 20, 1933 in Manhattan, NY, she was the daughter of the late Irma Goebel of California, musician and stage personality, and the late Ferdinand Meyer LaBastille of French West Indies, Professor at Columbia College. Ex-husband, Major Bowes, lives in the Adirondacks.

Anne's maternal survivors are Anne Barkman whose father and LaBastille's mother were sister and brother, and Barkman's children Stephen, Fred, Alfred and Marg, all of Montreal; Cornelia Bromson, sister of Anne Barkman, and children Tam Bronson and Jean Madden of Connecticut; and Sister Anne Brook, MD, of Mississippi whose mother and LaBastille's mother were sisters.

Anne's paternal survivors are Otto Ernest Meyer LaBastille who was brother to Anne’s father) and his daughter Mariette Margarite Meyer DaSilva and 9 children, all of Brazil, and Angela DaSilva Haensel of Ohio.

Anne graduated from Cornell University 1969 with a doctorate degree in Wildlife Ecology. She also had an M.D. in Wildlife Management from Colorado State University 1961, and a B.S. in Conservation of Natural Resources from Cornell 1955.

Her writings emcompassed early-on children's books for Ranger Rick, and later on over 10 more serious books, including "Woodswoman", "Beyond Black Bear Lake", "Woodswoman III", and "Woodswoman IIII", a charming yet serious sequel depicting a sensitive true chronicle of building a cabin in the wilderness and living there alone in the solitude of a region far from civilization; "Assignment: Wildlife"; "Women and Wilderness"; "Wilderness World of Anne LaBatille"; "Mama Poc"; "Jaguar Totem"; and "Birds of the Mayas". She has authored over 150 popular articles and over 25 scientific papers.

She was a contributing writer to Sierra Club, National Geographic, Outdoor Life, Adirondack Life, Biological Conservation, International Wildlife, and Audubon Magazine, as well as a myriad of other magazines and conservation organs, and included field studies of endangered wildlife and surveys of proposed national parks and wildlife reserves for the Smithsonian Institution and several foreign governments, including her beloved Lake Atitlan in Guatemala. She labored tirelessly on the fight against acid rain around the world. Giving wilderness workshops and lectures over 40 years provided successful avenues to get her message of planet care across.

Anne was a charter member of the New York State Outdoor Guides Association, and a 17-year member of the Adirondack Park Agency as a Commissioner, mandated to manage and care for Adirondack Park, the largest state park in the United States (6,200,000 acres of which 1/3 is sheer wilderness). She served as one of ten international jurors for the prestigious J. Paul Getty Wildlife Conservation Award, Director-at-Large of the National Wildlife Federation, and an honorary consultant to the World Wildlife Fund. She began her outdoor career as a scuba-diver guide out of Miami, where she met and married Major Bowes and moved to Adirondack Park to open an inn. Seven years later this relationship dissolved, with Mr. Bowes still residing in the the Park.

Anne’s contributions to this planet have been recognized throughout the world. A few such awards are: 1974 Gold Medal from World Wildlife Fund as Conservationist of the Year; 1984 Citation of Merit from The Explorers Club; 1986 Outstanding Alumni Award from Cornell University, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences; 1987 Honor Alumnus/Alumna Award from Warner College of Natural Resources at Colorado State University; 1988 Jade of Chiefs Award from Outdoor Writers Association of America; 1990 Honorary Doctor of Letters from Ripon College, Wisconsin; 1990 Honorary Doctor of Science from State University of New York at Albany; 1993 Gold Medal from Society of Woman Geographers; 1994 Roger Tory Peterson Award for National Nature Educator; 2001 Wayne G. Basler Chair of Excellence for Integration of Arts, Rhetoric and Science at East Tennessee State University; 2008 Lifetime Achievement Award from Adirondack Literary Awards; 2008 Howard Zahniser Adirondack Award from Association for Protection of the Adirondacks; 2009 Honoree of National Women's History Month; 2009 Women Taking the Lead to Save Our Planet Award.

Anne’s greatest love was the great outdoors and in particular the preservation and protection of wildlife and wildlands, having devoted every moment of her life trying to save endangered species and wildlands throughout the world, and teaching people to be educated on the subject and to behave accordingly. She was a groundbreaker for women in wilderness and women writers whose desires to make this planet a better place in which to live matched hers. In the Adirondacks, she has been dubbed as being one of the most influential persons since Noah Rondeau, and around the world as a conservation icon.

Her second love, not far behind the outdoors, was her five German Shepherds who were at her side throughout her life and became an intrical part of her own persona. Anne also loved gardening, building structures out of wood, kitties, coyotes and wolves, not necessarily in that order.

Anne also had a very soft heart and gave generously to many libraries, upcoming students of nature, aspiring women writers, schools, and related outdoor philanthropic ventures. Anne also never said “no” to any friend in need, no matter where they lived around the world.

Special thanks go to Marcie Wyant and Raeanne McLaughlin of Pine Harbor Assisted Living in Plattsburgh for their devoted care for 2 years as Anne began her descent; Dr. Brenda Phillips and the staff of Meadowbrook Healthcare in Plattsburgh for their loving care of Anne during the past 2 years of struggle with alzheimers.

Thanks also to Leslie Surprenant and Tammy Siewers who provided a safe new home for Krispie Kreme, Anne's last German Shepherd, and to Susan Satloff who provided a loving home for Churchill and Chunita, two adopted stray kitties, actually they adopted Anne!.

A heart-felt thanks to Adirondack Veterinary in Westport for their untiring devotion and care to all of Anne’s animals throughout the years, no matter the time of day or night.

Thanks to John Miller who watched over Anne’s cabin at the lake all these years, to Dr. Dan O’Dell, Professor Emeritus of English at SUNY Albany who provided unwavering friendship and professional guidance over the years, to Dr. Thomas Lovejoy, former Director of Scientific Research of World Wildlife Fund USA for his friendship, for appointing her as World Wildlife Fund honorary consultant, and for being awarded the World Wildlife Fund Gold Medal for Conservation 1974. Thanks also to Dr. James Lassoie, Chair Department of Natural Resources at Cornell University for his assistance in environmental projects in Central America, the Caribbean, Europe, India and particularly in Guatamala.

A very special thanks go to Merry and Ed Gwynn of Peru who spent hours at the hospital every week reading works by Robert Frost and Henry David Thoreau, two of Anne’s favorites. A special thanks also goes to the Committee of 20 who were close friends and played an important role in keeping Anne’s life in order, particularly to Marsha Wright of Elizabethtown, Sharon Blanford of Fort Ann, Lisa Churchill of Queensbury, and Doris Herwig of Queensbury who cared for Anne’s special needs during the last four years of her life.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Cornell University Scholarship Fund, Ithaca, NY, 14853, in the name of Dr. Anne LaBastille.

For those who wish to make online condolences that will be recorded in the estate, e-mail to Doris Herwig at hayfield@capital.net under whose direction memorial arrangements are being made with guidance and care from Brown Funeral Home and Crematorium in Plattsburgh.

A special lakeside public tribute will be conducted on Sat., Aug. 20 and Sun., Aug. 21, 2011 between 10 am and 3 pm each day at Anne’s beloved Twitchell Lake in the Adirondacks, for those who wish to relay their personal farewell to Anne. Travel directions and details may be requested from Doris Herwig at hayfield@capital.net. Upon conclusion of the memorial on Sunday, Anne and her beloved Krispie Kreme, the German Shepherd who accompanied her everywhere throughout the last 8 years, will together be taken in a canoe to sail into the sunset, arriving at her cabin in the woods for her private farewell to Pitzi, Condor, Chikika and Zandor, her previous devoted four-footed companions. A private internment will be conducted at a later time.

Doris Herwig
PO Box 4042
Queensbury NY 12804
hayfield@capital.net