Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
pigpen
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: southern dacks
Posts: 65
Stay off the road

Seriously. Way to many close calls this summer around blind corners. Kindly stay on the shoulder before you really hurt or kill someone trying to avoid you. Thanks. My heart jumped hard for my kid today and i've bit my tongue for too long. Please use your head.
pigpen is offline  
Old 08-23-2018, 08:30 PM   #2
pigpen
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: southern dacks
Posts: 65
obviously not directed at the whole community, but for those who think this is ok. It's not.
pigpen is offline  
Old 08-24-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
adkman12986
Member
 
adkman12986's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tupper Lake
Posts: 797
Nearly hit someone last week DOT needs to place warning signs about the trail heads and people need to use caution when walking out from between cars parked on the roadsides
adkman12986 is offline  
Old 08-24-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
pigpen
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: southern dacks
Posts: 65
So true- its kinda sad that squirrels have more sense than a lot of people on roadways.
pigpen is offline  
Old 08-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #5
mt.runner
always outside
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Southern ADKs
Posts: 85
Maybe you should review traffic law that applies to bicyclists...we can use the road.
__________________
Paul
mt.runner is offline  
Old 08-29-2018, 09:31 PM   #6
JohnnyVirgil
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Porter Corners, NY
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.runner View Post
Maybe you should review traffic law that applies to bicyclists...we can use the road.
I might be wrong, but I think heís referring to oblivious pedestrians...
JohnnyVirgil is offline  
Old 08-30-2018, 07:09 AM   #7
adkman12986
Member
 
adkman12986's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tupper Lake
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.runner View Post
Maybe you should review traffic law that applies to bicyclists...we can use the road.
Maybe a little common courtesy on both parts would work.
adkman12986 is offline  
Old 08-30-2018, 08:04 AM   #8
bmike-vt
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
Seriously. Way to many close calls this summer around blind corners. Kindly stay on the shoulder before you really hurt or kill someone trying to avoid you. Thanks. My heart jumped hard for my kid today and i've bit my tongue for too long. Please use your head.
If you might hit something in the road when negotiating a Ďblindí corner you are driving too fast for conditions. Could be a moose, broken down car, fallen tree, trooper, or cyclists.

Itís ok to slow down - itís the best thing you could do for your kid and for you and for your fellow road users - far more effective than concern trolling a forum. You donít need to drive at the limit - the speed limit is just that - a limit, not a mandate.
bmike-vt is offline  
Old 08-30-2018, 08:05 AM   #9
bmike-vt
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
So true- its kinda sad that squirrels have more sense than a lot of people on roadways.
Like humans who operate motor vehicles?
bmike-vt is offline  
Old 08-30-2018, 09:09 AM   #10
webby459
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 75
bmike-vt - wow, you've posted almost verbatim what I was going to post (the bit about slowing down, sorry I can't quote behind proxy).
webby459 is offline  
Old 08-30-2018, 11:27 AM   #11
Lucky13
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkman12986 View Post
Nearly hit someone last week DOT needs to place warning signs about the trail heads and people need to use caution when walking out from between cars parked on the roadsides
You will definitely want to be on your toes if you drive through Old Forge or Inlet!
Lucky13 is offline  
Old 08-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #12
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely
 
Zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orwell NY
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmike-vt View Post
If you might hit something in the road when negotiating a Ďblindí corner you are driving too fast for conditions. Could be a moose, broken down car, fallen tree, trooper, or cyclists.

Itís ok to slow down - itís the best thing you could do for your kid and for you and for your fellow road users - far more effective than concern trolling a forum. You donít need to drive at the limit - the speed limit is just that - a limit, not a mandate.
Thank you bmike-vt, what you said is perfect. I have not taken a defensive driving class but I have always had the impression that one of the first principles is to be able to stop in the road you can see in front of you. My understanding is that bicycles are supposed to follow the FRAP(Far Right As Practical) rule, and I do when I'm riding but some roads don't have paved shoulders and that puts you in the travel lane. My canoe trailer is nearly 4 feet wide, so that puts it partly in the travel lane on most secondary roads, even if they have a shoulder of some kind. Around here we have had lots of Amish buggies since about 10 years ago, and that does seem to help people to learn to expect that there may be slower moving things in the road that they will have to watch for.
Zach
Zach is offline  
Old 08-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #13
montcalm
Mobster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 954
AHahahaha! Cyclists running cars off the road!

Only on the internet.
montcalm is offline  
Old 08-30-2018, 08:22 PM   #14
pigpen
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: southern dacks
Posts: 65
Who said off the road? and trolling? When there are 5 bikes in the road and i am driving the speed limit coming around a sharp left curve in the road and an oncoming tractor trailer is a foot away from me as i avoid you, that is trolling?
pigpen is offline  
Old 08-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #15
pigpen
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: southern dacks
Posts: 65
i would like it if certain people would exercise common sense thats all. Maybe these incidents were too isolated to convey frustration on an internet forum.
pigpen is offline  
Old 08-30-2018, 08:38 PM   #16
bmike-vt
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
i would like it if certain people would exercise common sense thats all. Maybe these incidents were too isolated to convey frustration on an internet forum.
Drivers.... could use some common sense too. Especially ones that might be coming around a curve that they canít see around...

Instead of passing cyclists on a curve you could wait for a view of the road ahead, to see that it is safe to proceed, and then do so.

No one is forcing you to pass right at that moment. Pass when safe to do so, no matter how many cyclists were riding in a group - because if it was a tractor, buggy, trooper, ambulance, etc - I doubt you would be on a forum complaining about it.
bmike-vt is offline  
Old 08-30-2018, 08:49 PM   #17
bmike-vt
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
Who said off the road? and trolling? When there are 5 bikes in the road and i am driving the speed limit coming around a sharp left curve in the road and an oncoming tractor trailer is a foot away from me as i avoid you, that is trolling?
It sounds like unsafe operation to me. Slow down, pass when it is safe to do so.
bmike-vt is offline  
Old 08-30-2018, 10:51 PM   #18
Wldrns
Member
 
Wldrns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Western Adirondacks
Posts: 3,768
Whether I am driving in a car or riding a bike with a car coming up behind me, I can't believe the how often I find myself in the chance meeting of a following car, a bicycle, and an oncoming truck, just as the bike reaches a narrow bridge. I've pedaled many times on open miles of remote little traveled rural roads, not having seen a single vehicle in several miles and this confluence always seems to happen one time or another during the ride. What are the chances?
__________________
"Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman
Wldrns is offline  
Old 08-30-2018, 11:09 PM   #19
bmike-vt
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Whether I am driving in a car or riding a bike with a car coming up behind me, I can't believe the how often I find myself in the chance meeting of a following car, a bicycle, and an oncoming truck, just as the bike reaches a narrow bridge. I've pedaled many times on open miles of remote little traveled rural roads, not having seen a single vehicle in several miles and this confluence always seems to happen one time or another during the ride. What are the chances?
Always happens - on many many miles behind the wheel and pedaling two wheels - seems that narrow lanes, bridges, turns are magnets for meeting...
bmike-vt is offline  
Old 08-31-2018, 05:28 AM   #20
Buckladd
Member
 
Buckladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hogtown
Posts: 938
This topic has been discussed before:
http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=23127
__________________
Life's short, hunt hard!
Buckladd is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

DISCLAIMER: Use of these forums, and information found herein, is at your own risk. Use of this site by members and non-members alike is only granted by the adkhighpeak.com administration provided the terms and conditions found in the FULL DISCLAIMER have been read. Continued use of this site implies that you have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this site. Any questions can be directed to the Administrator of this site.