Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
pigpen

Stay off the road

Seriously. Way to many close calls this summer around blind corners. Kindly stay on the shoulder before you really hurt or kill someone trying to avoid you. Thanks. My heart jumped hard for my kid today and i've bit my tongue for too long. Please use your head.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:30 PM   #2
pigpen

obviously not directed at the whole community, but for those who think this is ok. It's not.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
adkman12986

Nearly hit someone last week DOT needs to place warning signs about the trail heads and people need to use caution when walking out from between cars parked on the roadsides
Old 08-24-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
pigpen

So true- its kinda sad that squirrels have more sense than a lot of people on roadways.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #5
mt.runner
always outside

Maybe you should review traffic law that applies to bicyclists...we can use the road.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:31 PM   #6
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.runner View Post
Maybe you should review traffic law that applies to bicyclists...we can use the road.
I might be wrong, but I think heís referring to oblivious pedestrians...
Old 08-30-2018, 07:09 AM   #7
adkman12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.runner View Post
Maybe a little common courtesy on both parts would work.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:04 AM   #8
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
Seriously. Way to many close calls this summer around blind corners. Kindly stay on the shoulder before you really hurt or kill someone trying to avoid you. Thanks. My heart jumped hard for my kid today and i've bit my tongue for too long. Please use your head.
If you might hit something in the road when negotiating a Ďblindí corner you are driving too fast for conditions. Could be a moose, broken down car, fallen tree, trooper, or cyclists.

Itís ok to slow down - itís the best thing you could do for your kid and for you and for your fellow road users - far more effective than concern trolling a forum. You donít need to drive at the limit - the speed limit is just that - a limit, not a mandate.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:05 AM   #9
bmike-vt

Quote:
So true- its kinda sad that squirrels have more sense than a lot of people on roadways.
Like humans who operate motor vehicles?
Old 08-30-2018, 09:09 AM   #10
webby459

bmike-vt - wow, you've posted almost verbatim what I was going to post (the bit about slowing down, sorry I can't quote behind proxy).
Old 08-30-2018, 11:27 AM   #11
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkman12986 View Post
Nearly hit someone last week DOT needs to place warning signs about the trail heads and people need to use caution when walking out from between cars parked on the roadsides
You will definitely want to be on your toes if you drive through Old Forge or Inlet!
Old 08-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #12
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmike-vt View Post
If you might hit something in the road when negotiating a Ďblindí corner you are driving too fast for conditions. Could be a moose, broken down car, fallen tree, trooper, or cyclists.

Itís ok to slow down - itís the best thing you could do for your kid and for you and for your fellow road users - far more effective than concern trolling a forum. You donít need to drive at the limit - the speed limit is just that - a limit, not a mandate.
Thank you bmike-vt, what you said is perfect. I have not taken a defensive driving class but I have always had the impression that one of the first principles is to be able to stop in the road you can see in front of you. My understanding is that bicycles are supposed to follow the FRAP(Far Right As Practical) rule, and I do when I'm riding but some roads don't have paved shoulders and that puts you in the travel lane. My canoe trailer is nearly 4 feet wide, so that puts it partly in the travel lane on most secondary roads, even if they have a shoulder of some kind. Around here we have had lots of Amish buggies since about 10 years ago, and that does seem to help people to learn to expect that there may be slower moving things in the road that they will have to watch for.
Zach
Old 08-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #13
montcalm
Mobster

AHahahaha! Cyclists running cars off the road!

Only on the internet.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:22 PM   #14
pigpen

Who said off the road? and trolling? When there are 5 bikes in the road and i am driving the speed limit coming around a sharp left curve in the road and an oncoming tractor trailer is a foot away from me as i avoid you, that is trolling?
Old 08-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #15
pigpen

i would like it if certain people would exercise common sense thats all. Maybe these incidents were too isolated to convey frustration on an internet forum.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:38 PM   #16
bmike-vt

Quote:
i would like it if certain people would exercise common sense thats all. Maybe these incidents were too isolated to convey frustration on an internet forum.
Drivers.... could use some common sense too. Especially ones that might be coming around a curve that they canít see around...

Instead of passing cyclists on a curve you could wait for a view of the road ahead, to see that it is safe to proceed, and then do so.

No one is forcing you to pass right at that moment. Pass when safe to do so, no matter how many cyclists were riding in a group - because if it was a tractor, buggy, trooper, ambulance, etc - I doubt you would be on a forum complaining about it.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:49 PM   #17
bmike-vt

Quote:
Who said off the road? and trolling? When there are 5 bikes in the road and i am driving the speed limit coming around a sharp left curve in the road and an oncoming tractor trailer is a foot away from me as i avoid you, that is trolling?
It sounds like unsafe operation to me. Slow down, pass when it is safe to do so.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:51 PM   #18
Wldrns

Whether I am driving in a car or riding a bike with a car coming up behind me, I can't believe the how often I find myself in the chance meeting of a following car, a bicycle, and an oncoming truck, just as the bike reaches a narrow bridge. I've pedaled many times on open miles of remote little traveled rural roads, not having seen a single vehicle in several miles and this confluence always seems to happen one time or another during the ride. What are the chances?
Old 08-30-2018, 11:09 PM   #19
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Whether I am driving in a car or riding a bike with a car coming up behind me, I can't believe the how often I find myself in the chance meeting of a following car, a bicycle, and an oncoming truck, just as the bike reaches a narrow bridge. I've pedaled many times on open miles of remote little traveled rural roads, not having seen a single vehicle in several miles and this confluence always seems to happen one time or another during the ride. What are the chances?
Always happens - on many many miles behind the wheel and pedaling two wheels - seems that narrow lanes, bridges, turns are magnets for meeting...
Old 08-31-2018, 05:28 AM   #20
Buckladd

This topic has been discussed before:
http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=23127