Layton Slack, Perkings Clearing, Speculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layton Slack, Perkings Clearing, Speculator

Does anyone know the history of Layton Slack?
    I used to camp in Perkins Clearing in Speculator with my Dad. There was a river that we camped next to from what I remember.
    We knew Layton Slack and his dad Ol' Man Slack. They lived in a shack with no electricity or plumbing.
    Years ago there was a picture of him on the internet and some information but I have not been able to find it again. I believe that I have video of Layton Slack on my 8mm reels.

Thank you.

Speculator Cemetery lists many Slacks and one person who recorded them was a Slack. I believe she is alive so maybe contact her. Mary Slack Maynard or Annie Weaver.
    Annie and herson redid the list in 2000. Mary originally did it in the 70s.
    Henry Slack ran the big store in Speculator.
    Slacks were married with and were friends with the 'Dunnings' [Alfred/Alvah maybe?]
    Last edited by Woodly; 02-27-2018, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Leighton Slack

Here’s an older thread on Leighton Slack: http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=14229
      Last edited by Justin; 02-27-2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Justin-nice link.

Comment

If you are on Facebook, check out this thread on the 'History and Legends of the Adirondacks' FB group, which has more info:

Better than sitting at home in a beanbag, eating Cheetos, and watching infomercials

Comment

Originally posted by dadsadirondacks View Post
            Does anyone know the history of Layton Slack?
            I used to camp in Perkins Clearing in Speculator with my Dad. There was a river that we camped next to from what I remember.
            We knew Layton Slack and his dad Ol' Man Slack. They lived in a shack with no electricity or plumbing.
            Years ago there was a picture of him on the internet and some information but I have not been able to find it again. I believe that I have video of Layton Slack on my 8mm reels.

Thank you.
            Mr. Slack lived in a cabin at Perkins Clearing near the Jessup River.
            He was not a hermit, welcoming all visitors.

Comment

Working...
            X