Backcountry ski trails around Paul Smiths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backcountry ski trails around Paul Smiths

Hi, I'm looking for some ideas for backcountry trails, i.e. not necessarily the groomed trails around the PS VIC.

I canoed / carried out to Fish Creek last summer and I'm looking at taking the ski trail out there. Always nice to see the changing seasons. However that trail may be a little long and I'm wondering about other trails in the area. I'm guessing it's possible to ski up to St. Regis Pond.

On the other side of the 30 the map shows a trail out to Grass Pond. Anyone know if that's ski-able? Another idea might be to ski the railway tracks west through the Saint Regis Canoe Area. That'd be a nice flat route, and fairly scenic, going along Hoel and other ponds. But would I risk encountering snowmobiles? In general are there areas to avoid if one wants to stay away from snowmobile trails?

Not too worried about rough trails, I have BC gear.

Any other ideas?

If you didn't want to go out to Fish Pond the trail around Bone Pond/ Little Green is nice. Then you could ski up to the St Regis / Little Clear Carry and retrace back down to the Fish Pond trail continuing across to the RR bed with Rat Pond in front of you. There is a trail system by Rat Pond and that could finish out your day......maybe 6 or 7 miles total? The Fish Pond trail is probably 12+ miles RT from the winter parking on Station Rd.(by the fish hatchery).

I have never done this but if we have had a good stretch of cold weather, skiing across Little Clear to the St Regis Carry might be fun. I would check with a Forest Ranger or someone who has done this before though.

You also have the Jackrabbit trail that starts/ends at the VIC.

Comment

Skiing to St Regis via the TT is the best part of that ski, IMO. You can do it as a loop as well and ski across the St Regis to the carry and across Little Clear if the ice is good. I don't like skiing on ponds, so I avoid this route.

There is a nice loop you can do in SLWF by Floodwood pond.

Hays Brook TT would be the other option that I can think of the top of my head.

The RR tracks to get a fair deal of Snowmobile traffic, but I've seen people skiing them everytime I've been there...

Comment

And hereeeee we go

Fish Pond truck trail is a gem and is in good shape- it can be very fun to combine this one with pond skiing & canoe carries.

Hays Brook Truck trail and grassy pond are very nice, gentle terrain but still fun. In very good shape right now, parking lot is plowed too which is nice.

The part of the jackrabbit trail leading from the VIC to Jones Pond road and beyond is a short but fun ski.

Skiing in to Meachem Lake campground and up the Debar Mtn trail is a good time.

If you come a little farther in to SL, the jackrabbit trail is obviously a classic between SL and LP, you can bushwhack up to the summit of little haystack from the height of land. Very fun. The Scarface trails can be a fun ski.

If you go above the groomed stuff at Dewey Mtn, the summit has a “backcountry feel”

It’s really not far over to the TL area either, Raquette Falls is one of the classic winter trips around here. The deer pond loop can be fun too.
        "In short, a land ethic changes the role of Homo Sapiens from conqueror of the land-community to plain member and citizen of it. It implies respect for his fellow-members, and also respect for the community as such."

Aldo Leopold

Comment

Thanks guys. Plan A was to go to the Grassy Pond lean-to but there was nowhere to park, because of all the fresh snow. We ended up parking near the Fish Hatchery and skiing about halfway out to Fish, then did the Bone / Green loop. Very nice trail, and the conditions were ideal blue wax.

Comment

Working...
          X