No announcement yet.

Jessup River typical summer conditions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jessup River typical summer conditions?

I know it's pretty silly to be planning this far ahead, but I've been thinking about this summer's trip for a few months already. I am planning to return to Indian Lake in August and looking at putting in where 30 crosses the Jessup. I know the water level is very weather-dependent, but is two way traffic ever practical on the Jessup? It seems like almost all of the reports I have read are from people putting in at one of the bridges and going downstream from there, and usually their trips seem to have been earlier when the water might have been higher. I will be traveling in my Kite canoe with a double paddle and somewhat of a load of camping gear.

Putting in on the Jessup would make a little bit of an easier one-day bicycle run than going up to where I usually put in north of the campground headquarters, and I would like to explore the Jessup while I am in the area since it has been so highly spoken of on here. My plan (if practical) would be to paddle upstream on my first full day as far as I have time for, and then to paddle back down to Route 30 and onward to the lake. I know there is a rock garden above where Dug Mt. Brook comes in but I have read that it may not be too hard to portage around. Then at the end of my trip I would come back up the river to Route 30 and rejoin my bicycle. If anyone could shed any light on whether this is a reasonable thing to contemplate I would appreciate it. If not I can just check out the Jessup a little and then bicycle up to the lake with the canoe. Thank you very much.
    Zach

Zach,
    I've paddled most of the Jessup in a couple of seasons. Upstream from the Rt 30 bridge generally is OK even in a dry year, you can thank Mr Beaver for maintaining navigability. Early season, or after a big rainfall, that rock garden near Dug Mt Brook may have enough water for a downstream run...you might have to line upstream or carry around simply because of the current in that section.
    So it's sounds to me that you have a solid plan. You'll like the Jessup, some spots are really intimate and quiet, surprisingly so for such easy access.
    BTW, upstream from the Jessup River Rd is nice too, but I was stalled at the ledges that stretched for 1/4 mile or so. I'm not going to say anything about MDB's motivation or lack thereof...just sayin'.

Comment

Stripperguy, thank you very much for your help. A lot of the trip reports I have been able to find for the river were yours, and they were what made me want to go and check it out. My plan is to explore up the river as far as is convenient and time allows, so I may not even get as far as you did, depending on my own motivation level.
      Zach

Comment

You can paddle upstream & back to the bridge near Perkins clearing in an afternoon. There are several beaver dams and two large blowdown areas that completely block passage by water that you need to portage around. If water is low you'll be hitting bottom after the second of these blowdowns near the bridge. I think a fair number of people turn around when they hit first of these blowdowns, but its pretty nice upstream from it if you're willing to drag\carry boat through the bushes. I did not go any further than the bridge near Perkins. Was the only one on the water here almost all day on a weekend this last July. Picked up a couple leeches in my Tevas there too.
        Rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Comment

Thank you Klinkhamer, that's great to know. I should have most or all of a day to explore upriver and I'm looking forward to it. I don't mind carrying the canoe, especially for short distances. I'll have to keep an eye out for the leeches. I don't like them, but they are not enough of a deterrent to keep me away from water as pretty as the Jessup looks to be in the pictures I've seen.
          Zach

Comment

Leeches

They don't hurt at all. In fact you often don't know they're there until you get home and find them in between your toes all juiced up!
            Check yourself and gear before entering\leaving the water for invasives, etc.
            Fall Stream, Miami River, and Kunjumuk are also nearby and are enjoyable paddles in the Speculator\Piseco region.
            Enjoy
            Rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Comment

the MHB and i have paddled the Jessup a few times now, excellent paddle whichever way you do it! if you have any ambition at all, i think you have a great plan. never had any trouble w/ leeches, and the water level has always been good for 2 way paddling. the 1st time we did a shuttle from rt 30 bridge to the campground, never again!!! lining back up the 100 yds of rock garden is a lot easier than paddling all the way around to the campground, especially if there's any wind...

Comment

MoodyBlues, thanks for the encouragement. It certainly sounds like a nice trip. I'm planning to camp somewhere 150' from the river for the night before and after going upstream, and then on the following day I'll go out to the main lake and head up to the main camping area.
                Zach

Comment

Working...
                X