No announcement yet.

Hunting/Tracking Sidearm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, practice is king, the handgun you shoot the most accurately will always be the best.

I think it was your original mention of the 40S&W round that got me on to the 10mm, the 10 is far superior for your use than the 40.

If your sticking with hot loads with the 10mm and the 357, if you had 2 loads with 750fp of energy at the muzzle the recoil is the same, simple physics. That said, I find the revolver more pleasant to shoot, generally heavier, thus less felt recoil and the semiauto has that twisting moment to the recoil whereas the revolvers are more straight back. Within the types of revolvers, though I am a single action fan, the grip shape on my double action seems to have less felt recoil than the single action. Good grips can make a big difference. Taurus for instance has those ribbed rubber grips on their double actions that are supposed to feel real nice.

Another consideration with the 44mag is to practice with the 44 special rounds, which would probably be fine for all of your intended uses anyway , but you'd still have the option of a hot 44mag for that big ornery wounded bear in the brush that you may come across. Of course I'd feel much better with your 12ga and slugs at that point.

I do find revolvers easier to consistently shoot accurately than semiautos, but that's, just me.

By the way what breed dogs do you use, and what is your training regimen like?

John M.
    Because It's There, and it may not be tomorrow

Comment

John thanks for the comments.

My dog is a German Shepherd. He has the scenting ability but he is a little big for some of the areas we end up going through. Wire-haired dachshunds are very popular with a lot of trackers in the northeast due to their work ethic and smaller size.

As for training regimen, I’m still new at this compared to many others out there. I’ve done some artificial tracks with deer blood and hide, but honestly nothing truly trumps real world experience (actually finding a wounded deer).

I could send you a pm if you are interested in learning more about game recovery. There are some contacts I have who are much more experienced than I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would choose a 357 mag revolver. Revolvers are reliable, you can rest your hammer on an empty chamber making it safer while crawling through thick brush. 44 mags , 10mm and larger calibers , recoil make them difficult to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Tug Hill View Post
          I would choose a 357 mag revolver. Revolvers are reliable, you can rest your hammer on an empty chamber making it safer while crawling through thick brush. 44 mags , 10mm and larger calibers , recoil make them difficult to shoot.
          You must have an older revolver for that to be an issue. Modern revolvers do not have a firing pin attached to the hammer and have a transfer bar blocking the firing pin. This allows safe carry with fully loaded cylinders. It allows dry firing too, without damage to the hammer.

Comment

A little food for thought regarding the use of handguns and wildlife

"Buddy, I think I ate your pop tarts!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bounder45 View Post
              Apologies. You recommended a 10mm, but my point still stands: .357’s terminal ballistics easily match or outright exceed those of 10mm. Why do you consider .357 underpowered?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              The ballistics are similar but I would argue the terminal ballistics weigh in favor of the 10mm. The .357 bullet has a diameter .358 bullet while the 10mm is .400. The 10mm punches a bigger hole which means faster blood loss. That is why I would always choose a 45 Colt over a 44 magnum. Bigger hole.

Some people handle recoil differently but in my long-slide Glock 40MOS, there is literally almost no recoil. My 9mm jumps around more than the 10mm.

The concept behind a big bore handgun is you will get the same or better results from one round than with several in a smaller caliber. One and done.

The arguments favoring a smaller caliber are that it recoils less and maybe, just maybe, you can get off multiple rounds. If you can, you can be on target faster for the next round. In an ugly situation, such as a surprise attack from an injured animal in the brush, you may only have time to spin around, aim, and fire one round. In that case, you want to make the most of it and recoil is irrelevant because you won't have time for a second shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9bMdXxn4RU

Size matters.
              Last edited by wiiawiwb; 03-19-2018, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Hunting/Tracking Sidearm

Originally posted by wiiawiwb View Post
                The ballistics are similar but I would argue the terminal ballistics weigh in favor of the 10mm. The .357 bullet has a diameter .358 bullet while the 10mm is .400. The 10mm punches a bigger hole which means faster blood loss. That is why I would always choose a 45 Colt over a 44 magnum. Bigger hole.

Size matters.

10mm is a bigger caliber, but it also has a lower sectional density, lower velocity and energy.

To some degree, size does matter. But I think 10mm and .357 are close enough that the magnum’s marginally smaller bullet diameter isn’t going to make any difference.

I do think either caliber will likely work, but I also think .357 has a bit more of an established track record for dealing with big and dangerous game.

As for recoil for hunting or defense with a moving animal, yes I know there will only be an opportunity for 1-2, maybe 3 shots. I prefer a .357 or even a 10mm because they seem to facilitate follow up shots more readily than a bigger magnum.

I think that a lot of people who preach the .44 mag and similar cartridges may have experience shooting in a stress-free range environment but little to none employing one against an animal in the field. Shoot-ability is an important quality i seek in any firearm that I intend to own and use.

Last edited by Bounder45; 03-19-2018, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I’m a big fan of Deer Hunting with the .44 Mag both Rifle and Revolver. For years I have successfully taken whitetail with my Ruger Super Blackhawk. Being fortunate in having a place to practice year round and being a handloader enabled me to be taylor my handload to the gun and my eyes. The excitement does go up when a nice Buck is coming in but it’s not the high stress situation one experiences facing a mad Bear. These days my eyes are not the same thus my skill level has suffered with the Revolver so now I just sit on a stump with my .44 rifle. I still practice regularly with my Revolver but for hunting my limitations have increased. Having said all of that, I still wouldn’t hesitate in using a proper .357 Mag Revolver, with the right load, and lots of practice for tracking wounded game.

Comment

I carried a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag. when I lived and hunted in Montana. Also carried it fishing in Alaska. Some pretty big game out there...
                    It certainly kicked but wasn't nearly as bad as many people without experience believe. Sold it before I moved back east. I loved that pistola.
                    Last edited by EastOfMidnight; 03-19-2018, 04:58 PM. Reason: Oversight

Comment

I never got into handguns until a few years ago. And all I have is a .22 S&W revolver that I carry from time to time, mostly in hopes of picking off a grouse, or for some fun plinking at camp. My uncle always carried one. But I do a lot walking most days and don't opt for the extra weight of the sidearm. At some point I may look for a light revolver that doubles as a viable defense firearm in a .357 or .38, which should be good enough to finish off a buck and even get into reloading. You know, one of those "someday" retirement concepts.
                      Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Originally posted by Bounder45 View Post
                        As for recoil for hunting or defense with a moving animal, yes I know there will only be an opportunity for 1-2, maybe 3 shots. I prefer a .357 or even a 10mm because they seem to facilitate follow up shots more readily than a bigger magnum.

I think that a lot of people who preach the .44 mag and similar cartridges may have experience shooting in a stress-free range environment but little to none employing one against an animal in the field. Shoot-ability is an important quality i seek in any firearm that I intend to own and use.

You're a bit presumptuous thinking that you will have two or even three shots. IMO, you'd be better served planning for only one and be thankful you had a second.

Where on earth did you come up with the notion that those who handle big-bore revolvers have no experience with animals in the field? That notion is both silly on its face and counterintuitive.

Can you provide us any scientific research to support your conclusion?

Comment

Not handguns, but big, slow bullets nearly extirpated the buffalo.
                          Once I move back to NY and wait the year or so to get my NY permit, I may hunt with my .45 Colt revolver, that cartridge has been around 145 years and will still to the job.

Big slow and old, We ought to get along real well.
                          John M.
                          Because It's There, and it may not be tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by wiiawiwb View Post
                            You're a bit presumptuous thinking that you will have two or even three shots. IMO, you'd be better served planning for only one and be thankful you had a second.

Where on earth did you come up with the notion that those who handle big-bore revolvers have no experience with animals in the field? That notion is both silly on its face and counterintuitive.

Can you provide us any scientific research to support your conclusion?

I’m stating my opinion when it comes to recoil, as are you. I’ve dealt with big recoil in other firearms before. Some of those cartridges offer superior ballistics over the cartridges I regularly deal with, but the recoil is definitely a hassle to deal with, even when using the proper mitigation techniques.

I’ve yet to fire .44 mag, but if my suspicions are confirmed, I’m thinking there are other options that are equally viable while offering more shoot-ability.

Maybe my mind will change after some test firing. However, I’ve seen enough feedback which suggests that 10mm and .357 will be more than adequate for my purposes.

My comments on big magnum cartridge advocates was directed at the general internet crowd, not at anyone in particular on this forum. There is a lot of internet “expertise” on firearms which I often find contradictory to my own real world experience. That was my meaning.

Comment

Bounder45, this was a great discussion and I enjoyed it. In reality it all just boils down to what each individual is comfortable with in his or her own zone. Let us know what handgun you finally choose, I know it will be the right choice for you......jack

Comment

If the idea is to carry a side arm only the discussion is much different than sidearm and rifle or shotgun....
                                As a tracker, your target may be a wounded animal that will move if you get too close to it. Your target is not always at close range. To put it out of it's suffering you will need to reach it were it is, not neccesarily try to get close. For those situations where you need to reach 60, 80, 100 plus yards you should consider a scoped 44 Magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter. That gun will reach out as far as you need it to but can also serve at closer range.
                                If you intend to carry a shotgun or rifle for the farther shots then why not carry a Ruger Flattop 44 Special? If you need all six it's a bad day...

Comment

Working...
                                X