Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok to leave vehicle overnight at Middle Saranac Lake cartop launch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok to leave vehicle overnight at Middle Saranac Lake cartop launch?

Hi all,
    Does anyone know if there are any vandalism/theft concerns with parking overnight at the Middle Saranac Lake cartop launch at South Creek on Route 3? Or is it generally about the same as parking at the main area near First
    & Second Pond? We will be visiting in July.

I'm considering paddling from there for the shorter route to Norway island, since my husband and I will have all our gear (we don't pack light) and our excitable dog in the canoe. However, if there are concerns with leaving a vehicle there than maybe we'll paddle out, set up our site, and then paddle back and move the van to the main parking area and paddle back down from there.

Thanks!
    Last edited by riverain; 10-25-2015, 09:39 AM. Reason: add info

You should be fine. I've parked there overnight in the past without any issues, and during July I'd doubt that you'd be the only ones parked there overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
      You should be fine. I've parked there overnight in the past without any issues, and during July I'd doubt that you'd be the only ones parked there overnight.
      I'll second that.
      "The wilderness opens us to God's presence because it reduces everything to what is exactly necessary, and no more." John Lionberger Renewal in the Wilderness
      My pictures:
      https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums

Comment

IIRC, you are required to post a note issued by DEC that you are registered in a site if you want to overnight park there. We parked for 3 nights last summer, just after Labor Day. Upon returning to the car, I noticed that it was full of scraps of litter. It turns out that either a mouse or a chipmunk "raided" the car, probably through the air vents and chewed up the remnants of a Cliff Bar. The car was a Subaru Forester, and I've been told that such occurrences are not unheard of.
        "Days in the woods are days beyond time"--Paul Jamieson

Comment

I've parked everywhere... for long periods of time, never had a problem. I wouldn't leave anything particularly valuable in plain sight of course, I mean, people from out-of-state also park there ... When we sold my dads house, we couldn't find a key... 50 years unlocked- long vacations and all, if that tells you anything about Upstate NY.

Comment

Well I had my trailer box broken into and some tools stolen there. It was about 15yrs ago. Also had a taillight broken but i got to watch the guy doing it and he paid me for the tail light so not so bad. Never had a problem with a locked car being broken into any where in 30+ years of parking in the park

Comment

ok to leave vehicle overnight at Middle Saranac Lake cartop launch?

Originally posted by RichieC View Post
              I've parked everywhere... for long periods of time, never had a problem. I wouldn't leave anything particularly valuable in plain sight of course, I mean, people from out-of-state also park there ... When we sold my dads house, we couldn't find a key... 50 years unlocked- long vacations and all, if that tells you anything about Upstate NY.
              It used to be that way in northern NY. Not so much anymore. Heron is one hell of a drug

Comment

Working...
              X