Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2016, 12:31 PM   #1
PaulK

BREIA cross-country ski trails at Boonville in February

My little band of backcountry skiers is heading to BREIA in February. The youngest is 9, but she's a good intermediate climber when she's in the mood.

My feelings today, given we have one full day there, is to concentrate on the Jackson Hill trails. I think we would have fun on the intermediate "Into the Woods Trail" and playing on the Adirondack telemark field.

Any thoughts and favorite trails would be appreciated...
PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:27 PM   #2
Wldrns

There is some significant terrain elevation through the woods on the eastern portion of the Jackson Hill BREIA trails, with several branching loops. But all go up and down rather steeply. There is much more flat but not totally flat terrain on the western portion on the other side of the road toward Murray Hill Road. You get more of the feeling of remoteness on the western trails.

The BREIA Egypt Road Rim Trail has a number of very steep runs, short but steep. Or you can choose to stay on top of the "Rim" for relatively flat skiing. A couple of gentle slopes provide interest. On the opposite side of Egypt Road you can ski a good distance loop with moderate hills on the Glacier Trail and Gully Trail.

Total flatlanders can take the 6+ mile canal trail to Pixley Falls Park and beyond that begins at the SAR building and follows the canal south deep into "The Gorge", with several interesting passages by the old canal lock system.

You can borrow (donations accepted, not required) good quality ski sets in all sizes, or snowshoes from SAR on weekends or when school breaks. BREIA trails are machine groomed and free with free warming huts.

Click here to see trail maps.

Last edited by Wldrns; 01-20-2016 at 01:29 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
Creekwader
Snag Locator

My kids like the Egypt road trails and the Into the woods trail so those are good choices. You can probably do Jackson hill in the morning and Egypt road in the afternoon. My personal favorite is to get dropped off at the Jackson hill warming hut and then bomb the Hillside trail to the canal trail, ski back to Boonville and then take the snowmobile trails to my parents house. You would need a second car at the search and rescue building for that unless you wanted to go all the way back up Jackson hill which might be a bit much for a 9 year old. The sunfields are nice when the sun is out but they get wind so the grooming often gets drifted. Might be worth a trip to Pixley just to walk down to the falls. The Lansing Kill upper falls is worth a side hike as well. It is located off the canal trail just south of the southernmost trail crossing of rt 46. You will hear it on the east side of the trail. Usually someone has snowshoed down in there, the path should be obvious.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:38 AM   #4
PaulK

Many thanks for excellent tips from you guys above!
PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote