Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
Tick Magnet

Millman Pond, LGWF, 21 Mar, 2018

Today's long awaited "Lunch at a lean-to" brought Tredhed and me to Millman Pond in the Lake George Wild Forest. We've been wanting to go here for some time and the first full day of spring seemed like a good day to go...and it was.

Arriving at the Pike Brook Rd. trailhead around 9:00, we quickly strapped on the Tubbs and headed up the trail through filtered sun and a stiff north breeze.

The trail, actually an old road that was recently groomed for snowmobiles, was a dream to walk on. It was hard packed and we made good time as it wound through the woods, gaining 200+ feet.

Turning off the Red disked trail to Black Mt., we picked up the Yellow disked trail and soon came to a vly with a great view of the Black Mt. firetower.

From the vly, we could hear the windmill on the top of Black Mt. "thumping" away. We were both glad that we weren't planning to go there today. That huge, spinning blade always intimidates me.

The Yellow disked trail then climbed through a small saddle between drainages.

It soon deposited us on the north shore of Lapland Pond. We took a short detour to visit the lean-to and were not surprised to see it a little worse for wear and tear. However, the view of Black Mt. from the lean-to was great!

After visiting the lean-to, we continued on the Yellow disked trail for Millman Pond as opposed to striking out across the ice. It probably would have been OK, but ...

The restless trail around the marshes of Lapland Pond had quite a bit of ups and downs. It wasn't that big of a deal, but it was untraveled by snowmobiles and suffered from some bare boot damage.

Walking through the hemlocks was an absolute joy!

After regaining the groomed snowmobile trail on the SW side of Lapland Pond, there was a short, steep climb up to the marshy shores of Millman Pond.

Again, we decided to stick to the woods and were rewarded with another beautiful grove of hemlocks to walk through.

After a few minutes, the lean-to came into view.

Perched high on a ridge separating Millman Pond from a large swamp, this is one of the best maintained lean-tos we've ever seen. Kudos to Russ and his buddies who maintain this gem. While Lapland Pond's LT looks like it was ridden hard and put away wet, the one at Millman Pond is spectacular.

After a relaxing lunch of clam chowder and cookies. Tredhed made our lean-to log entry as I enjoyed some of the current periodicals from the lean-to library. Prior to departing, we recited the thoughtful prayer posted to the wall.

Now I lay me down to rest
A pile of maps across my chest
If I die before I wake
That's one less hike I have to take.

Great hike!

Last edited by Tick Magnet; 03-21-2018 at 09:21 PM..
Tick Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:48 PM   #2
kwc
loser

thanks for sharing!!

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:13 PM   #3
real3175

Wow, great report! Thank you for all the photos, I will add this to my ever growing list!
real3175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:16 AM   #4
Tick Magnet

Thanks folks!

It really is a cool destination. Tredhed and I couldn't get over how great the inside of the LT looked. The cleanliness, attention to detail and small amenities made this a truly special ADK Lean-To. Russ, the caretaker, really put a lot of love into keeping it in such great shape. Hopefully, the rest of us can do our part to help.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:27 AM   #5
Buckladd

Nice, was in there the summer before last when doing the Black Mt. Loop

Any moose tracks?
Old 03-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #6
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Any moose tracks?
Didn't see any moose tracks (or deer tracks).

We did see some sign that looked like otter slides. We first saw them along the red trail, just before the cabin. We then saw them again near Lapland Pond. They were kind of old and I couldn't see the footprints very well, but I'm guessing otter, based on the slide and "hopping" tracks.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:25 PM   #7
georgecarr

Nice write up!
georgecarr is offline   Reply With Quote