Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2018, 10:40 PM   #1
real3175
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Rotterdam, NY
Posts: 60
Indian Head and Oxshoe Lean to - Mar/Apr 18

Hiked to Indian head on Saturday morning then did Oxshoe lean to on Sunday. I wanted to check out Indian head before the warm weather hits as I know this is an extremely popular hike, we had a very clear day so the view was extra beautiful. We started early enough to potentially do Colvin and Blake but decided against it as we wanted to spend some time in Lake Placid after the hike. Sundays hike to Oxshoe was inspired by Justins video a month or so ago, we were the only ones out there and will definitely be back.

We spotted a vehicle parked on a low lying iced over portion of Crane Pond Rd right before Crane pond and thought it was a little odd. As I got closer I realized it was on a melting ice island, a 5 foot gap with 2 feet depth of water on each side. No one had signed in since a few days before so on our way back I got the license plate number. When we were almost back to the Crane Pond Rd parking area, a Toyota SUV comes rolling up and stopped to talk to us. The passenger was the owner of the yellow Xterra and stated it broke down exactly where it is now and he had hiked out last night. They were going to attempt to tow it out of there or get it running, I cant imagine it was an easy task.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gweil1...57692089180142
real3175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,145
Nice photos, thanks for sharing!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
Tick Magnet
Member
 
Tick Magnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ballston Lake, NY
Posts: 1,046
Oh man, that's a bad spot to break down! Right in the middle of the largest mud wallow east of I-87.

Loved the photos of the side trip to Goose Pond. What a beautiful spot.

Oh, the picts from the cliffs weren't too bad either.

Thanks for posting
__________________
Tick Magnet
Tick Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:30 PM   #4
esg612
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 6
Awesome photos! Been trying to get to Indian Head and Fish Hawk for a while now and I think one of these upcoming weekends may be the time! I have not previously hiked it so I'm trying to get as much information as possible about it, and upon looking at the area on Google Maps, I see that there is Lake Road that leads right to Lower Ausable Lake, but there is also an Indian Head trail head marker? (Attached an image to show what exactly I'm looking at) Is there an option to hike in from Route 73 as well as an option to drive in via Lake Road?

Thanks for any info!

esg612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:43 AM   #5
cuterocky
Kalie
 
cuterocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by esg612 View Post
Awesome photos! Been trying to get to Indian Head and Fish Hawk for a while now and I think one of these upcoming weekends may be the time! I have not previously hiked it so I'm trying to get as much information as possible about it, and upon looking at the area on Google Maps, I see that there is Lake Road that leads right to Lower Ausable Lake, but there is also an Indian Head trail head marker? (Attached an image to show what exactly I'm looking at) Is there an option to hike in from Route 73 as well as an option to drive in via Lake Road?
Lake Road is a private road and is gated. There is no public access to be able to drive down it to Lower Ausable Lake. The Indian Head trailhead marker on your map is where the public parking area is. From there you would hike up Ausable Club Road and take a left onto Lake Road (just past the tennis courts). A short distance down Lake Road is the trail register to sign in and the wooden gate (it's pretty!). You can then hike down Lake Road or hike the East or West River trail. The dirt road is obviously the easiest way. It's about 3 miles to Lower Ausable Lake (longer I think on the River trails). Enjoy!
__________________
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
esg612
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuterocky View Post
Lake Road is a private road and is gated. There is no public access to be able to drive down it to Lower Ausable Lake. The Indian Head trailhead marker on your map is where the public parking area is. From there you would hike up Ausable Club Road and take a left onto Lake Road (just past the tennis courts). A short distance down Lake Road is the trail register to sign in and the wooden gate (it's pretty!). You can then hike down Lake Road or hike the East or West River trail. The dirt road is obviously the easiest way. It's about 3 miles to Lower Ausable Lake (longer I think on the River trails). Enjoy!
Great that was just the info I was after! Thank you very much
esg612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #7
Woodly
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: SNY
Posts: 146
Beautiful photos indeed
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:55 PM   #8
Pauly D.
Member
 
Pauly D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Posts: 288
Nice report and photos. It's nice to see the ice starting to recede off Crane Pond.
__________________
Oh I'd rather go and journey where the diamond crest is flowing...
Pauly D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:06 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
...It's nice to see the ice starting to recede off Crane Pond.
My thoughts exactly!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

DISCLAIMER: Use of these forums, and information found herein, is at your own risk. Use of this site by members and non-members alike is only granted by the adkhighpeak.com administration provided the terms and conditions found in the FULL DISCLAIMER have been read. Continued use of this site implies that you have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this site. Any questions can be directed to the Administrator of this site.