What About Whiteface?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What About Whiteface?

My wife and I have climbed 7 of the 46 with hopes of becoming 46ers as part of a "bucket list." I have a couple questions about Whiteface: if we drive up, does it count? If we drive up and hike down, does it count? If we hike up the road, does it count? I say hiking up and down via the trail is the only way to count it toward our 46er status, but I've heard other tales. What say ye?

If by "counting" you mean towards registering with the ADK 46er organization then you have to hike from trailhead to summit and back to trailhead. So driving one or both ways would not count.

If you're not planning on registering with the ADK 46er organization then I guess you're the only one counting and it's your call how you choose to determine whether your outing counted or not.

And I remember some recent debate on this forum whether walking the road was legal or not, and if my recollection is correct then the road is a vehicular road only while the road is open.

Comment

if we drive up, does it count?
      As for any other high peak, you need to approach, ascend and descend the mountain under your own power.

If we drive up and hike down, does it count?
      It will count if when you get to the trailhead you hike back up to elevation (i.e. your car). If you rely on powered transportation to cover part of the ascent+descent it will not count.

If we hike up the road, does it count?
      When the road is closed to vehicles you can walk it. When the road is covered in snow some hikers choose to ski up and down the road as part of their trip. Again, as long as you are travelling under your own power it counts.

hiking up and down via the trail is the only way to count it toward our 46er status
      Other variations that 'count', provided the self-propelled trip covers elevation that meets the low-high criteria:
      * traverse from trailhead to different trailhead
      * trail + road
      * bushwhacking
      * slide climbing

Comment

Along what Summithat said -

Some 46rs saved Whiteface for the last peak and did the following. They drove up and then hiked down. Then later they hiked up and celebrated with non-hiking family and friends that meet them at the top. That way they felt they could drive down with friends (most likely to Lake Placid Brewery) having hiked down and up under their own power. I seem to recall a recent post to this effect on the ADK High peaks forum as well. I never heard that was a problem with the 46rs.

Comment

Working...
        X