Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #41
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockless View Post
Found it!

Not at all as I remember from reading it 50 years ago, but still a good read.

http://books.google.com/books?id=RHo...epage&q&f=true
Obscure author?

I'm sure that was tongue and cheek.

reading his observations about the french, it's obvious that he wasn't impressed. In fact he may have been prejudiced as most Americans were back in that time. After all The french and the English, which of course included the white immigrants who had settled in America, had fought a war. Even later the prejudice existed because Lafayette and the French never really got the credit deserved for defeating the British in the Revolutionary war. In fact had they not intervened America would have continued to be a British Colony.

What stands out to me is Twain's opinions about the French's ability to "massacre" and how expert they were, "Even more so then the Comanche". There was much contact with the French by most North American tribes. They traded with the French quite freely and the french often married and lived with the Indian Nations. Nowhere is they any historic account of a "massacre" by the French of Indians nor the English immigrants on the North American Continent. However, there are several accounts of massacres by the English as well as the immigrant settlers.

Our only issue with the French was with the Jesuits who tried to "convert" many of the tribes to Catholicism. As is all to often the case with religious zealots, they sometimes used brutal methods to "save" us.

So i guess it's all in the eye of beholder.

As far as the story goes (about the Indian way compared to the whites). That it is a native joke about the white folks.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #42
Half Hitch

The curator of a Western art museum commissioned a local artist to paint a mural-sized painting of Custer's Last Thought. The artist was told to make it highly symbolic of Custer's mindset during the debacle at the Little Big Horn.

Deep in thought, the artist went to his studio. After many false starts, he proceeded to paint an enormous oil painting. Finally, after many months of work, the painting was unveiled for the curator.

In the foreground there was a beautiful field with a single dairy cow. Around the cow's head was a halo. In the background, the hills and meadows were covered with naked Indians in various sexual positions.

The curator, both disgusted and baffled by what he saw, turned in rage and asked the artist, 'What the hell has this got to do with Custer's Last Thought?'

The artist replied, 'Custer's last thought: Holy Cow! Where did all these f@#$ing Indians come from?'
Half Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #43
ADKHUNTER

Now THAT was GRRRRRReat!

Ed
ADKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #44
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Haha!

When I went to little bighorn there was a tombstone marker by a fence a little ways away from Custer's hilltop. A little kid said, wow if that guy would've made it over the fence he probably would've gotten away!

I remember that to this day.