Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2018, 09:29 PM   #1
Edb 46 er

Second Section

Piseco to Durant Lake Campground. Leaving tomorrow to do my second section of the Northville Lake Placid trail. I am planning three nights and a morning to complete it. Maybe see some of you out there?
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:44 PM   #2
Edb 46 er

Made it back out of the woods. Decent trip but very remote and uneventful, hoping the Cold River section will be better.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:59 AM   #3
Bark Eater Too

Congrats. Remote and uneventful sounds like a good backpacking trip!
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:34 AM   #4
WBB

I think most people would rate this section as either their first or second favorite, with the Cold River from Shattuck Clearing north being the other one. I think you will find that most enjoyable.

My least favorite section was from Tirrell Pond up Long Lake, I've stayed at Hidden Cove and Plumleys twice and found them unremarkable. The only other section I could do without is the walk up/down the Ceder River Rd, but I guess that is no longer and issue.
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #5
Bark Eater Too

The reroute off the Cedar River Road was some nice trail building. Definitely adds to the wilderness experience and removes ~6 miles of road walking.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #6
Edb 46 er

They really could stand to put more than one npt trail marker on the cedar river rd. before the actual left-hand trail sign. That is coming out of Wakely past the public campground. I was like "Did I miss the turn?:.

The road section was hard on my feet after hiking in the wilderness. Could do without it. I did enjoy the lean-to at Stephens, nice shape. I have done the Blue Mt section to Long Lake, it was okay but not as nice as Northville to Piseco. The Silver Lake Wilderness was beautiful.