Anyone take this supplement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone take this supplement?

I was an avid biker for 25 years. Each year I was able to increase my average MPH. Eventually age caught up with me and I simply did not/ could not summon the energy to go over 18 mph. At that point I was so disappointed I quit biking for 5 years. I've started back up a couple of years ago but can't break the 14 mph average mark.

This year I tried GF -9. It's an HGH supplement. I'm only taking 1/4 of the recommended dosage but have noticed an improvement. Not so much speed (about 1 mph faster) but in the way my legs feel afterward. After my most recent ride I was pulling into driveway and told my wife I felt like I never even exercised.
    What I can't decide is if this is real or purely psychological. Any other bike riders here taking it? If so what are your experiences. Any side-effects?

Generally I am very skeptical about supplements.
    Do other's have any other recommendations?

Update: I have discontinued taking this supplement. I never did take the full recommended dosage but still experienced excessive bloating. I also suspect it might have interacted with some of the medication I was taking. This is not to say the supplement did not perform as expected. In fact it definitely did. I noticed increased leg strength and was surprised to suffer no side effects from riding. Usually it takes my body time to adjust to riding. I did not experience the usual aches and pains and legs did not feel strained like they usually do at beginning of season.

Comment

Who sells it? I did a quick google search and couldn't find anything called that. I was considering one of those Elysium type NAD supplements, since there seems to be some actual science behind it, but straight up HGH is illegal, and I've heard that "HGH-precursor" type supplements don't work all that well.

Comment

Growth Factor 9 is a product made by Novex Biotech. I purchased it at GNC. It cost $85 for a month's supply. It is supplement that naturally boosts your HGH levels. It does not contain HGH.
        The dosage was 4 pills a day 2 hours before a meal. I chose to take it before breakfast. As I said I never got up to 4 pills. I started out with 1 and built up to 3 over a month and a half. The bloating was very obvious when I reached 3 pills and was definitely caused by my bodies reaction to it. I looked like I had a pot belly.
        After checking internet I found that bloating was a reported side-effect. The other side effect just might be my imagination. I take blood thinners and lately have noticed that I easily started bleeding. Several times by just scratching and once from clipping toenails. I also started bruising easily. I've been taking thinners for 3 years and have occasional had these effects but never to this extent. This was the main reason I stopped taking it.

Comment

Taking hormones and other "juice" is like making a deal with the devil if you ask me. Very tempting I'm sure but at what price?
          The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
            Taking hormones and other "juice" is like making a deal with the devil if you ask me. Very tempting I'm sure but at what price?
            Yeah, I kind of agree. My brother runs a lab for a pharma company and the nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide research that's happening looks like it might have some meat to it. Mostly he does RNAi therapeutics, but says as far as supplements go, it might not be total junk. Of course as a "supplement" there's virtually zero oversight, so like you said, it's a risky roll of the dice.

Comment

15 years old but still kind of current:
              Everybody knows that many athletes cheat by using performance-enhancing drugs like steroids, testosterone, and EPO. But what is it like to take these banned substances? Do they really help you win? To find out, we sent an amateur cyclist into the back rooms of sports medicine, where he just said yes to the most controversial chemicals in sports.

Comment

I haven't taken any kind of vitamin or supplement since I was a kid and took fluoride tablets. I heard a story on the radio years ago about what percentage of supplements actually contained the things they said they did, and for some kinds of things it was pretty scary. As I recall they said fewer than half of the products that claimed to be ginkgo biloba had any of it in them, and only 2/3 of pills that claimed to be garlic had any garlic in them. Neil's opinion seems (as always) very wise to me.
                Zach

Comment

Originally posted by HH1 View Post
                  15 years old but still kind of current:
                  https://www.outsideonline.com/1924306/drug-test
                  That was a good read, thanks!

Comment

Getting old is an inevitable and complicated process. HGH levels are just one of many chemical changes our body goes through. The product I took was in pill form and stimulated the bodies natural production of HGH. I took it to help offset my slower ride times.
                    It was taken for personal reasons not competitive ones or a vein one like taking testosterone to get it up although if I had attached a sail to it I think I could have probably increased my speed.

Comment

Intermittent fasting may be worth a look for a natural way to boost HGH.
                      Hunt when you can, Fish when you can't.

Comment

Originally posted by skillzman1 View Post
                        Intermittent fasting may be worth a look for a natural way to boost HGH.
                        I always see that in regards to losing weight. I definitely don't want to lose weight -- I'd like to put some muscle weight back on.

Comment

One final update. It's been a month since I've stopped taking GF-9. Very noticeable difference in performance. My biking speed dropped conservatively 2 mph and although I don't feel achy I did notice no life in my legs. Sort of wiped out after a short flat ride. Too bad about those side-effects because it's now my opinion that it really did work. As in anything buyer beware especially if you're taking medication.

Comment

I wonder if with a solid 6 mos. of aerobic conditioning, building up to say, 30 hours a week following modern training methodology, good sleep habits, good nutrition and so on you would be able to do as well or better as with the meds.
                            The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

I find that I can get 1 or two MPH a boost just by putting in the miles. I alter the rides doing distance and tempo and throw in hills to build the lungs and legs. For me the key is lot's of water and food while I'm riding. I make sure I drink a few pints of water before I start. I also start with one bottle of Cytomax if I'm going out on a long ride, say over 50 miles.
                              Banana's, chocolate milk, Odwalla bars and an occasional stop for a slice of pizza and a Power Aide do the trick for me.
                              GNC and heart rate monitors....not happening. I know guys that did the serious stuff including testosterone patches...if you think you are going pro and don't come by it naturally I suppose you could go down the rat hole. Otherwise bring what you have and enjoy the ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X