Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #1
Dylank12

Pharaoh Lake camping

Thinking of hiking into an area of the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness and camping this weekend as long as the weather isn't too bad. I was wondering about packing food though - a bear canister necessary? I don't currently have one and didn't know if I'd be crazy to not bring one. Wouldn't be packing a lot of food. Just enough for one night and morning.
Dylank12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
Justin

In my experience, bears are usually not really a huge concern in the Pharaoh region, and canisters are not necessary. Mice & squirrels can sometimes be more of an issue, especially if you're camped at a lean-to.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:24 PM   #3
montcalm
Mobster

IME a PCT hang is sufficient in the Adirondacks except where you need to use a bear canister for legality reasons. Not sure if those bears would figure out a good PCT hang, but rules is rules.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:17 PM   #4
MrKawfey

Let us know how the conditions are when you get back. Would like to get up to the pharaoh area soon before it get crowded and buggy, but if I bring the kids I would prefer the trails be a bit dried out and not super muddy.
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #5
bridgeman

I hang a GrubPack when camping outside the high peaks region. Check it out at grubpack.com. Steel mesh with velcro enclosure and eyelet for hanging.

As others have indicated, I have had more issues with mice and squirrels in the past.
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:10 PM   #6
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylank12 View Post
Thinking of hiking into an area of the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness and camping this weekend as long as the weather isn't too bad. I was wondering about packing food though - a bear canister necessary? I don't currently have one and didn't know if I'd be crazy to not bring one. Wouldn't be packing a lot of food. Just enough for one night and morning.
I've never had a bear encounter at Pharaoh, but they can turn up at any time. Raccoons can be a pain in the neck, though.
Enjoy your trip to one of the nicest settings in the ADK's.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #7
Vinegar

I've started bringing a canister just because it's easier, but there are plenty of trees to hang from near most of the campsites.

As others have said, would love to hear about conditions if you do go. Looks like low 30s at night, not too bad, but the weekend of the 29th/30th is forecasted to be in the 50s!

Enjoy!
Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #8
Dylank12

Camping was great! Hiked in Saturday afternoon; was my first time to that area so I did not know that you could drive all the way down to the trailhead so I parked a mile out, just before the road narrowed and got muddy. There were a few other cars there so I assumed that was where I was supposed to park. The mile walk in to the trailhead wasn't bad; road was a little muddy with big puddles every hundred feet or so - was quickly realizing I definitely could've gotten my truck through there. The rest of the trail was nice, muddy at times but nothing to deter anyone from hiking in.

Hiked to Lean-to #5 first because we had heard that was a good spot, but that was occupied by a larger group so we backtracked to #6 and setup camp. It sprinkled on and off for a few hours while we tried to gather some wood that wasn't too saturated, but were still able to get a nice fire going. Was a little chilly at night and in the morning which made it hard to get out of a warm bag but Sunday was beautiful! We didn't want to leave!!

This area is great - we will definitely be camping in this area again soon
Dylank12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:38 AM   #9
Vinegar

Thanks for the report! Pharaoh is a great place to spend a few nights. Since it was mentioned in other threads recently and it's hard to tell from your description, I'd feel remiss not mentioning that setting up tents near lean-tos is against regulation unless specifically marked. There's a designated site very close to lean-to 6, in fact. I like the ones in the north bay of the lake even better though, and if you can snag Wintergreen Point you'll have some great views. There are quite a few designated sites scattered around the lake, in fact.

Hope you enjoy your next trip!
Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #10
Hard Scrabble

Once apon a time, the state maintained a ranger cabin at the outlet of the lake.
A seasonal ranger was employed maintain order.
There were boat and canoe rentals for a nominal price.
A telephone line was sometimes operational. ))
Sadly, the cabin was burned and all traces of its existence are gone.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:08 PM   #11
Justin

A must have for every Pharaoh Lake lover's music collection...
https://kylelang.bandcamp.com/track/pharaoh-lake
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote