Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2017, 09:48 PM   #1
producer

Lowville area cottage

Looking for a cottage that sleeps 8 or more within a 30 minute radius (approximately) from Lowville. Either the week of July 17 or August 18. Any leads would be appreciated, thanks!
producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:23 PM   #2
mgc

When our children were too young for canoe trips and back packing we rented on Brantingham a few times...
There are lot's of rentals available there...
That's plenty close enough to Lowville.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #3
producer

Thanks, good lead!
Old 05-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #4
mgc

Maybe you are already dialed in but in case you aren't, stop in at the Meat Market in Croghan...for some Croghan Bologna..
Now that it's for sale all over the North Country I'm not trying to keep it a secret anymore
Old 05-04-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
Wldrns

Go on Thursday and get squeaky fresh cheese curd (it is made on Thursdays). Nothing better. As a kid, I used to get it still warm directly from the cheese factory. If you like Croghan Bologna, you will really like Eddie's version of the same stuff. Finer grain and I like it better, even though i grew up on CB. Eddie broke away from CB and started his own version. Find it at Eddies Meat Market not far away on Rte 812 in the little community of Indian River. Cheese curd there too.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
jkauff73

I second the opinion about Eddie's version of bologna being better. If you head to Croghan stop at Wishy's for ice cream.
If you need any other advice about the Lowville/Croghan area, feel free to ask. We have a camp there.
jkauff73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #7
St.Regis

As long as ice cream was mentioned...if you venture down Boonville way, stop at Mercer's Dairy. Good stuff.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #8
Wldrns

Oh but you will never get larger scoops of ice cream anywhere other than at Wishy's. They are truly huge.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #9
producer

You had me at ice cream.... all great suggestions guys, keep them coming please!
Old 05-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #10
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
If you like Croghan Bologna, you will really like Eddie's version of the same stuff. Finer grain and I like it better, even though i grew up on CB. Eddie broke away from CB and started his own version. Find it at Eddies Meat Market not far away on Rte 812 in the little community of Indian River.
Hm... first and foremost, Eddies isn't Croghan Bologna...it's Indian River Bologna.... but seriously, I find Eddies to be too finely ground and differently flavored. If you have not tried the stuff, start with the one from Croghan and then try Eddies.
And to make sure that I had it fresh in my mind, I stopped at Eddies yesterday and picked up a ring. After sampling both I wish I had picked up another ring in Croghan.
To be fair, Eddies is a nice butcher shop and worth a stop if you are on the way through. It's just not my choice for the bologna.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:17 PM   #11
Wldrns

sorry, I happen to prefer the finer grind and flavor of Eddies. The flavor is actually very similar to the original. I had been eating the original Croghan version since i was a small lad. When i discovered Eddies a few years ago, I found I liked it better. to each his own.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #12
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
I had been eating the original Croghan version since i was a small lad. ..........to each his own.
Yup...for over 50 years in my case. My wife also prefers the Croghan over Eddies...
Gave half of the Eddies to my neighbors...they hadn't had Croghan style bologna before. They liked it. I'm not telling them I held the good stuff back
Old 05-14-2017, 01:03 PM   #13
Wldrns

the large pieces of unground gristle in the original CB get stuck in my teeth.