Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
Justin
Moving along

Modern Day Hermit

Ok...hypothetically speaking...
Say you have enough money, no family, and no serious obligations that require your attention, and you decide that you want to live like a hermit in the Adirondack Mountains.

Do you think it's possible?

Of course, there are DEC regulations that you must abide to.

But if you kept on the move every 3-days, came out of the woods every so often to replenish food and supplies, and to update your fishing/trapping/hunting license, and to take care of any other needed business (taxes, ect) before heading back into woods, do you think it could be done?

Maybe you try your luck and take things a step further and risk penalisation by building a little hut or two on a hillside somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

Ok, maybe not for the rest of your life, but maybe just for a few years.
...Or a few months even.

Perhapse there's a few members here who have done this sort of thing or something similar, or know someone who has? (Cold River Bob perhaps)

Any thoughts?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Moving every three days in winter would be pretty tough.

If money was not an issue, I think the thing to do in NY would be to either purchase a plot of land outright or lease a plot of land from a timber company. That way you wouldn't need to move around, or worry too much about other state land use regulations that apply to camping/building of structures.

I think that hunting seasons/regulations probably wouldn't be a problem with careful planning (and maybe a little bit of luck). You'd certainly have to stock up on dried foods in bulk, though. Even Noah Rondeau headed out of the woods from time to time to get supplies.

I know that in Alaska (and maybe out west) there are exemptions to many of the hunting/camping regulations, provided that you are really and truly living off the land for survival. These regulations were intended for American Indians who chose to continue this way of life, but I'm sure that they would apply to people of European descent as well (what with equality and all that). I don't know of any such exemptions in New York State, but heading to Alaska would be another option, as it would allow you to hunt/trap year round.

Plus you can still homestead in Alaska... not through the Federal government, but there are lots of local municipalities in Alaska that have land available for free to anyone willing to build a house on it.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Moving every three days in winter would be pretty tough.
Maybe not so much...
Say you have scouted several campsites (or camp locations) over the years that are not very far apart from each other. With proper planning, you could rotate through them during the winter months, or throughout the entire year for that matter, and still be fairly close to an area where you could replenish any depleted supplies if needed.

Last edited by Justin; 12-28-2011 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: spelling correction
Old 12-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I was planning to do exactly what you're asking Justin. But then I realized that I wouldn;t be able to post to the ADK forum so I decided not to.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
ADKpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
I was planning to do exactly what you're asking Justin. But then I realized that I wouldn;t be able to post to the ADK forum so I decided not to.
problem solved hawk get a windmill, a solar panel, an air card for the laptop and go , baby , go.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Sure you could...
Plan a route so that you can make periodic stops at the Old Forge, Indian Lake, Long Lake, Schroon Lake, Saranac Lake, or Lake Placid Public Libraries, and you can keep us all up to date on how things are going...and order a few more months worth of Hawk Vittles.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:43 AM   #7
richard1726

Would living the hermit life add value to yours or anyone else's life? For better or worse most would call you simply "that.... Homeless Guy".
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:45 AM   #8
Judgeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1726 View Post
Would living the hermit life add value to yours or anyone else's life? For better or worse most would call you simply "that.... Homeless Guy".
Better to ask a hermit.
Judgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #9
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Kinda defeats the purpose of a hermitage if you follow the letter of the law.

On October 16 you would not pass up a plump brookie because the season is over.

Just don't build up a pile of empty cans like the old timers.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1726 View Post
What other people think of me is none of my business.

In my particular case, society woold probably be enhanced with my absence.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
What other people think of me is none of my business.

In my particular case, society woold probably be enhanced with my absence.
Ditto for me.........
Old 12-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
Kinda defeats the purpose of a hermitage if you follow the letter of the law.

On October 16 you would not pass up a plump brookie because the season is over.

Just don't build up a pile of empty cans like the old timers.
I've never really viewed "breaking the law" as an essential part of being a hermit. To me, it's the seclusion- the time spent both alone and deep in the woods.

I guess what it really comes down to is respect. A "true hermit," in my mind, is someone who has respect for the woods and everything that is part of it, and only takes what they need. Regulations concerning fishing and hunting were also born out of a desire to respect the woods and the resources within it.

So, while one certainly could discuss the semantics of whether it's ethical to take something out of season because you really and truly need it, and you are overall carrying a great deal of respect for the woods and desire to protect it's resources, I really don't think that the idea of being a hermit needs to necessarily include the intent of not following the rules and regulations.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
jan

I may be old and cynical, but that seems like a romantic, idealized view of a hermit. I think in many cases, for various reasons, they just aren't comfortable living within the physical and social confines of society. As for being respectful of the woods, they may love the woods or they may just view them as we do our supermarkets. Just a supplier for daily needs.
jan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:16 AM   #14
AdRegion
TourPro

Adirondack Bushman Captured After 20 years in the Woods

At a certain point, I think the "fun" of living outdoors would wear-thin for me.
AdRegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #15
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
Do you know about Dick Proenneke?
...Not until your posts on this thread.
Thanks for the links.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #16
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I also recommend the movie "Dead River Rough Cut." A documentary made in the 70's about two guys who took to the north Maine woods (in the Jackman area). Pretty well made and enjoyable to watch. Plus, according to the dvd box, it's the "most requested video at the Maine state penitentiary."
Old 12-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #17
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Here's a trailer for Dead River Rough Cut: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJVslHk0LbE
Old 12-31-2011, 07:46 PM   #18
runslikeajohndeere

Thanks for the video.

I just spend four days south of the St. Lawrence River in the back woods near Coles Creek. Didn't see the otters gliding on ice, but enjoyed cold snap. I felt like we used a cord of wood to keep warm.

Not sure I could stay out there for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
Do you know about Dick Proenneke? They have his story on PBS stations occasionally. He was a fasinating individual. Some consider him a modern day hermit.I think he was much more than just that, he is well worth learning about.

There are DVD's and 2 books available on him. I find the books which were taken from his 30yrs out there hard to put down.

Here's one of the videos in it's entirety http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb913FfEh2k
runslikeajohndeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #19
ADKpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdRegion View Post
Adirondack Bushman Captured After 20 years in the Woods

At a certain point, I think the "fun" of living outdoors would wear-thin for me.
I remember this story from another thread - but what ever became of him? I couldn't find any more info on him other than the original story. Did he ever get out of jail?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #20
AdRegion
TourPro

Great question. I had some contact with his family when he got out, but no recent news.
AdRegion is offline   Reply With Quote