Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #1
MrKawfey

Question Need Winter Shell Pant Suggestions

Hi all, I've decided to retire my winter pants (too much duct tape, can't close the waist, lost a boot hook) and I've been both disappointed and confused by the options I've seen in the stores. Online descriptions never seem to cover the item details very well. So I'm open to suggestions.

I haven't used insulated pant's since I was a kid and once I switched to shell pants I really liked being able to tailor the level of warmth to the activity and weather. So unless I heard a really compelling argument, I'd like to stay with shells.

Second, I have always had a bootlace hook on the internal cuff and thought of this a pretty necessary. However, it seems this feature is pretty rare these days. I saw some with 2 rings on the cuff that look like they were meant for a string that would go under your arch. If that is what they are for, then it seems like it would be a pain to manage with gloves on.

Other features I would prefer are crotch vents, abrasion guard on the outer cuff, outer zippers that allow access to pockets on under garments, adjustable waistband that sits nice under a pack waistbelt, and belt loops.

I saw a lot of pants with button waist instead of snaps. Always had snaps and buttons seem like they would be a pain with gloves. Also saw many pants that seemed to be leaning toward the current fashion trends of slimmer fit and lower riding on the hips.

As for uses, these would be mainly for skiing (touring and resort), winter summits and the occasional winter overnight.

True waterproof would be a requirement, but in the stores it is really hard to tell what's meant by "weather resistant", "water resistant", "water repellant" etc.

Thoughts, suggestions, recommendations?
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #2
TCD

I have not bought any pants in a while. But here goes:

>Try to get full side zips (unfortunately hard to find and pricey). This allows for venting, pocket access, and on-and-off over any footwear.

>There are really only two fabric categories, despite the marketing hype:

>>Waterproof breathable (Gore Tex, or other membrane based fabric);
>>Soft Shell (Scholler, or other treated nylon / spandex fabric).
(All other terminology is marketing BS.)
For both fabric types, performance varies by brand and cost. You have to look at reviews.

>The string under the boot is actually pretty easy to use. I have that on both my current winter pants. Helps keep them down flat to the boot, and keeps out some snow. Even under a gaiter, these help to keep a flat, tight assembly.

Good luck!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:37 PM   #3
Neil
Kayak-46

Shell pants can get very pricey. But, I just bought a simple pair of Rab shell pants (at a brick and mortar store) for only $200 CDN. No fly, but 3-way full length side zips. During the cold snap I wore long underwear, OR Cirque soft shell pants and put the Rabs over top. I had great success with that.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
MrKawfey

Thanks for the tips guys. The biggest frustration has to be the lack of detailed info on the web coupled with the lack of availability in local stores. I can understand when an online retailer like REI or Backcountry puts up limited info for a product. But it blows my mind that the manufacturer themselves falls short in this area. Just browsing Burton's site (for example) few of the product pages list outside-to-inside pocket access, button vs snaps, boot hook vs all elastic gaitors, etc.
However, I know that these features are there because I checked them out at an REI while I was traveling. Other manufacturers have similarly lacking websites.
Oh well, end rant.

Question about vents: I've always had pants with crotch vents and typically keep them open when hiking, but only find them marginally better. Do outside vents work better than crotch vents? Anyone tried pants with both? Crossflow?
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote