Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #1
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

editing .kmz or .tpo tracks?

So I have many tracks saved on (in?) my NatGeo Topo program.
I also have the same tracks saved in Google Earth. I prefer the Google Earth tracks, mostly for the speed, time and elevation profiles. These are mostly paddling trips and the above info helps me synchronize with my photos and fuzzy memory.

But here's the rub.
Many of my saved tracks have miles and miles of leapfrogged points.
If I forget to clear off the previous tracks, I end up with a saved track that starts from home or some other seemingly random start point.
So when I try to zoom in on a particular profile section of a track, I'm saddled with 100 miles of nothing, and my actual track comprises the last 5% of the track.

Is there an elegant way to edit these tracks in the software? Editing or saving partial tracks is extremely cumbersome (for me, anyway) in my Garmin 60CSx.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:43 PM   #2
Trail Boss

You can use GPS Track Editor to modify GPX files.

http://www.gpstrackeditor.com/

You can use http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ to convert from one file format to another.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:25 PM   #3
Wldrns

GPSBabel for Mac is my workhorse for converting Google Earth (or anything else) to anything else. I use it to convert paths and waypoints I create in GE to excel .csv files to work the waypoints with distances and name them to feed back as routes into my GPS for the Yukon River races.
https://www.gpsbabel.org
Old 04-15-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Thank you, gentlemen,
I can now edit my converted to gpx tracks and eliminate the connecting segments.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

OK,
So I can edit my converted to gpx files, and upload them to Google Earth,

BUT,

the time slider on my GE won't advance beyond Oct, 2016, even though my GE version is dated 1-1-2017!!

Should I just download another version of GE???
Old 04-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #6
Trail Boss

If you're referring to the time slider displayed in the upper left of the screen, it represents the date and time of the displayed track.

Here's an example of a track I recorded earlier this month and the time slider shows April 2017.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GE - Time Slider.jpg (55.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #7
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
But here's the rub.
Many of my saved tracks have miles and miles of leapfrogged points.
If I forget to clear off the previous tracks, I end up with a saved track that starts from home or some other seemingly random start point.
So when I try to zoom in on a particular profile section of a track, I'm saddled with 100 miles of nothing, and my actual track comprises the last 5% of the track.

Is there an elegant way to edit these tracks in the software? Editing or saving partial tracks is extremely cumbersome (for me, anyway) in my Garmin 60CSx.
Nothing makes a DEC SAR debriefer more upset than to download such a track. Usually a long straight leg from either home, or the assembly point to the beginning of a search block. Much as they complain, they do have ways of clearing those phantom points, but the methods explained above will do it too. Crew bosses are cautioned at the pre-brief before every incident to be sure to clear their track log first, then to only turn on tracking only upon arrival and turn it off again when departing the assigned search area.