Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
IndLk_Brett

Ticks this summer in the Adirondacks

I know this has been brought up in the past, but I'm just looking for an update, especially following the mild winter we had. Anyone seen an increase in ticks inside the blue line?

I'm from Pennsylvania where the problem is widespread and truly disgusting, in my opinion. It can be extremely disheartening to know that the cost of taking my dog for a hike will be at best removing large numbers of ticks from both her and I, and at worst dealing with Lyme disease or one of the other diseases they can carry. I developed the tell-tale "bulls-eye" rash two springs ago, but thankfully caught it soon enough for a long cycle of doxycycline to be effective. I'd rather not tempt fate a second time.

It makes me extremely grateful that, so far, I've always found the Adirondacks to be comparatively devoid of the little monsters. I cross my fingers and toes that it will remain that way.

Have any of you been seeing unusual numbers this summer? If so, in what general areas?
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #2
jaymann

I spend the most time in the central area of the park and haven't had any ticks on me.
They are an issue around my house, as I've had many that I had to remove from myself over the years. It's not fun but I'm not going to stay cooped up in my house either. I just do a thorough check at the end of the day.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
jaymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #3
Blackhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndLk_Brett View Post
I know this has been brought up in the past, but I'm just looking for an update, especially following the mild winter we had. Anyone seen an increase in ticks inside the blue line?

I'm from Pennsylvania where the problem is widespread and truly disgusting, in my opinion. It can be extremely disheartening to know that the cost of taking my dog for a hike will be at best removing large numbers of ticks from both her and I, and at worst dealing with Lyme disease or one of the other diseases they can carry. I developed the tell-tale "bulls-eye" rash two springs ago, but thankfully caught it soon enough for a long cycle of doxycycline to be effective. I'd rather not tempt fate a second time.

It makes me extremely grateful that, so far, I've always found the Adirondacks to be comparatively devoid of the little monsters. I cross my fingers and toes that it will remain that way.

Have any of you been seeing unusual numbers this summer? If so, in what general areas?
thank you brett for writing about this subject.
i'm ok with anyone writing about any subject that's been posted before - because things, conditions and people change.

imho,
ticks need hosts to survive and multiply.
the higher the host population densities the more ticks we'll see and experience.
the more humans upset the balance of nature the more ticks we'll see.
I've had many hunting buddies who would leave the woods immediately after seeing one tick on their hunting clothes.
I've also removed many ticks from myself and my buddies over the years with special tools and techniques.
I also believe in preventive techniques to ensure one doesn't get infected by a tick or similar creature. mosquitos also can be carriers of the lyme spirochete bacterium.
one thing that puzzles me the most though.
why would that segment of the outdoor community kill the enemy of our enemy?
why do many hunters still kill and attempt to extirpate those beneficial carnivores who eat rodent vectors of lyme disease like humans eat candy - then wonder why they see and pick up numerous ticks while hunting?

in the past I've never seen a tick on anyone while hunting in the adk wilderness areas I've hunted for many days and years and there're a good reason for that at this point.

i'd like to hear the opinion of others here on this subject.
thanks again,
blackhawk

ps - I did an experiment with a tick once that proves to me they easily survive the winter. this was only after a nurse from the county health department was telling people that ticks die off in the winter.

My photos cannot be used without my written permission.
Blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:43 AM   #4
dmartenvt

I usually find one or two crawling on me, I've always surmised they are hopping off the dogs onto me. This year I haven't found any, but I've been hiking a bit less because of an injury.
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote