Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2017, 01:14 PM   #61
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKawfey View Post
http://www.clarkson.edu/news/2017/ne...7-03-31-1.html

Some new opportunity for employment in the area. Of course it depends on the line of work you are looking for. Either way, it's a good sign for the region.

The CEO of LC Drives mentioned in the article is a former colleague of mine and his company was started in CT. I guess the incentives were enough to get him to pack up and move. He was a Clarkson grad so there is an additional connection for him.
That sounds neat. Truth is I was contemplating going to Clarkson back in the day, honestly I don't remember why I decided to move out of state for DeVry! I so wish I hadn't now. While my college was in electronics engineering I never did finish the degree, but I've made a career in the electrical utility as a generation dispatcher for 12 years now. I'm not sure if any of the utilities in NY are big enough to have their own generation dispatchers, all I am really aware of is NYISO in Albany that is like a regulating entity over all the individual utilities, would actually be a step up I think from where I am at. I think my lack of actual degree and stuck in one specialized job for so long will limit my ability to change up careers, especially at anywhere near the pay I get now. But honestly I wouldn't mind taking a cut to live where I want to. But I want to be able to retire early, like 50s. I'm already planning now lol!

35/46 get'n closer
18/46 barefoot

Last edited by Adirondackiteer; 04-13-2017 at 01:55 PM..
Adirondackiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:53 PM   #62
MrKawfey

While I'm not entirely sure what a generation dispatcher does, I can make a pretty good guess. I have a couple friends that work for nyiso and from what I've heard, its not something they would be involved in. I think they are mostly a marketplace for buying and selling energy on a real time basis. I don't think they actually get involved with the operation of the distribution system other than in a facilitation and standardization role.

However I could be wrong about that. Wouldn't be the first time.

On the other hand, I wouldn't discount your previous EE training. It is surprisingly hard to find good engineering technicians. And good technicians get paid very well. I am an engineer in the Albany area and it can be really hard to find good techs around here so I suspect that in the north country it's virtually impossible. The Clarkson incubator is probably going to lean on students for some labor, but you can't staff your entire operation with temporary, transient people.

My hiring philosophy has always been "I can teach someone the skills but I can't change their behavior".

in other words, I can show you how to solder, measure, calculate, etc. But if you can't show up to work on time or care about quality then there's nothing I can do with you. And it's surprisingly disappointing how few people have the behaviors.

So, long post, and sorry for the unsolicited advice, but a change of career is not a far fetched idea for someone with a technical background and solid professionalism.
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:57 PM   #63
MrKawfey

Also worth mentioning, I have another friend that works for Siemens in Schenectady and his group is entirely focused on power grid design and smart grid implementation.

Just something else to look into that might be closer to your wheelhouse.
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:55 PM   #64
OntarioSkiBum

Quote:
While I'm not entirely sure what a generation dispatcher does, I can make a pretty good guess. I have a couple friends that work for nyiso and from what I've heard, its not something they would be involved in. I think they are mostly a marketplace for buying and selling energy on a real time basis. I don't think they actually get involved with the operation of the distribution system other than in a facilitation and standardization role.

However I could be wrong about that. Wouldn't be the first time.

On the other hand, I wouldn't discount your previous EE training. It is surprisingly hard to find good engineering technicians. And good technicians get paid very well. I am an engineer in the Albany area and it can be really hard to find good techs around here so I suspect that in the north country it's virtually impossible. The Clarkson incubator is probably going to lean on students for some labor, but you can't staff your entire operation with temporary, transient people.

My hiring philosophy has always been "I can teach someone the skills but I can't change their behavior".

in other words, I can show you how to solder, measure, calculate, etc. But if you can't show up to work on time or care about quality then there's nothing I can do with you. And it's surprisingly disappointing how few people have the behaviors.

So, long post, and sorry for the unsolicited advice, but a change of career is not a far fetched idea for someone with a technical background and solid professionalism.
I'm an Electrical Engineering "Technologist" working here in Ontario. In Ontario, Technologists go through 3.5 years of school while Technicians go through 2 years. I have over 15 years utilities experience specializing in Electrical Distribution and Protection and Control. I'm now in an Senior Engineer's position without having an actual license (the difference between an Engineer and a good Technologist in Ontario is small... Technologists can't stamp drawings but many do equivalent work to an Engineer​).

It's been a dream of mine to work in or around the Adirondacks after retirement on a contract basis. Do the utilities in your area hire on short/medium term contracts? Many of my colleagues have moved down to Florida after retirement to work because as you said, it's hard to find people with our skills and the money is too hard to turn down. I have no interest in moving south... but would love to spend some time living and working around the ADKs.

All that said, my kids are still young and Niagara is definitely home. But once they're out of the house, and my wife and I are retired... it'd be great to be closer to the Adirondacks, if only on a temporary basis.
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:15 PM   #65
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Quote:
Oh I've already talked to some folks at NYISO at various conferences and they do have generation dispatch positions and almost every time I've checked they have been hiring, but I'm stuck here several more years. A lot can change by then too. Generation dispatchers basically are controlling the generation side of the grid, balancing powerplants output vs instantaneous load demand (and plenty of other ancillary functions).

I appreciate the thoughts on the engineering/tech jobs though. I would so much rather be doing something like that, but I've been out of electronics and tech for so long. But who knows. If I were able to move right now I'd be looking into it for sure, but we'll see whats out there maybe 7 years down the road.

Good luck OntarioSkiBum sounds like we are in similar predicament. I hope to not have to wait until I retire though. Certainly would make things more flexible though!

35/46 get'n closer
18/46 barefoot
Adirondackiteer is offline   Reply With Quote