Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #1
javamutt

Non peak hiking recommendations?

I'll be staying in Jay next week for Easter break with the family and dogs, and am looking for a few good hikes we can do together. We're all in good shape, and have done a bunch of the high peaks (during dry season). I'm looking for day hikes (2-6 hours) that won't require snowshoes, skis, spikes, or crazy water crossings. Interested in smaller mountains (for less snow/ice), waterfalls, or just cool forests / rocks / scenery. The Jay/Keene area is preferred as we haven't explored it much yet - we've mostly been around Loj previously. Maybe Jay Mountain? Not sure if its still snowy/icy... Any other favorites would be much appreciated as I build an itinerary.

Thanks in advance!
javamutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
woodsrat

Clements Pond is interesting, on the way back down you can bushwhack to the left to height of land with a view
woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #3
Trail Boss

Your post's title says: "Non peak hiking recommendations?"
A few lines in you say: "Maybe Jay Mountain?"

So ... you are open to peak suggestions?

There's Big Crow, Owls Head, Hurricane, Owls Head Lookout, Cobble Lookout, Baxter, etc all within a short drive of Jay (15-20 minutes). All of these hikes are fairly easy and don't see nearly as much traffic as the four-thousand footers.

Map:
https://adirondackatlas.org/?token=e...9f09c37305e3e2
Old 04-13-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
TCD

Helpful list:

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/f...es-in-the-adks

Remember that at this time of year, aspect (North facing vs. South facing) is as important as elevation in the amount of snow remaining.

Also remember that packed snow on trails stays longer than the unpacked snow in the surrounding woods.

Have fun!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:48 PM   #5
tgoodwin

The trail system on Hardy Road in Wilmington also offers possibilities for non-snow hikes that do climb to reach scenic destinations. Built as mountain bike trails, they are well-designed, well-drained, and mostly quite smooth, so no problems even this time of year. And I know because I traversed the trails on both sides of the road on Tuesday.
tgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:51 PM   #6
JoeCedar

Non peak hiking recommendations?

Little Crow from Hurricane road is ice-free (faces south). There is significant ice on both sides of Big Crow and in the road to the Crow Clearing trailhead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:53 AM   #7
javamutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
Your post's title says: "Non peak hiking recommendations?"
A few lines in you say: "Maybe Jay Mountain?"

So ... you are open to peak suggestions?
I guess I should have been more clear... I know that the HIGH peaks are still well covered in snow/ice right now, and our Shepherds won't want to post-hole, so I'm looking for lower-altitude adventures. I'm very open to lower peaks that are do-able without spikes/snowshoes/skis, and equally open to non-peak hikes. We just bought a camp in Jay, so looking to get more acquainted with our new home away from home.

Thanks!
javamutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:40 PM   #8
TCD

Jay - nice!

Walked up the south facing trail on Poko the other day; still very slushy.

Also consider flume trails (where 86 crosses the Ausable West Branch). Nice trail system there.

Also nice trails off Bartlett Road (from Springfield Road, about a half mile on Bartlett, trails go in on the left).

Hike to Clements Pond (probably dry for the first half mile, then probably wet down towards the pond.)
Old 04-15-2017, 06:39 PM   #9
TCD

Strolled up to the east summit of Pitchoff today. Delightful! Trail is mostly completely dry, summer conditions. A little packed snow in the gully near the summit, and that's helpful, because in the true summer that badly routed trail is a mud bath; needs a reroute. Nice short hike for today with limited time.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #10
TCD

Another quick report for you: Walked the North Trail to Giant as far as the Owl Head lookout yesterday. A couple small ice patches, no traction needed, trail is in good shape.