Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
gmorin71

short report

was on vacation all week so did a bunch of fishing. fished a bunch of rivers, barely a tap. water still 44-46 degrees and fish are hunkered down and certainly not looking up at the surface. hopefully that changes quickly but it might be good long term for the season.

hit a few ponds as well and did fantastic 2 out of the 3 days. lot of midge activity in the ponds, was fun to chase sippers. sucks though, I dont bring floating line into ponds so I couldnt enjoy any surface activity, but fun nonetheless. many fish in the 15-17" range and the smaller ones were colored up like it was autumn. The ol' hot headed leech never lets me down!

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
EagleCrag

Nice report (and fish) gmorin. I'm envious. Will be getting out later this week--Tue or Wed and will be sure to bring a floating line with some midge imitations. :-)
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
Pauly D.

Very nice! I too saw many midges at my local stillwater pond but failed to see any fish rising. Maybe they are keyed in on the infamous Phantom Midge Chaoboridae down below? Not sure if these are in the ADK ponds or not. I did see many newts near shore though.

Last edited by Pauly D.; 04-24-2017 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Pauly D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #4
Stillhunter

Very nice report gmorin71, beautiful colors on them. Thank you for sharing. Hoping to get out a couple times in the float tube this spring. We have the same tube.

Did you happen to take a water temp reading where you were getting them? Thanks.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Very nice report gmorin71, beautiful colors on them. Thank you for sharing. Hoping to get out a couple times in the float tube this spring. We have the same tube.

Did you happen to take a water temp reading where you were getting them? Thanks.
I like the odc, I also bought a trinity for this season but I decided I would only use it on my overnight trips. For a day trip, the odc is perfect.

I did not take a reading in the pond. I normally do but not this time

Lee Wulff
Old 04-24-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
wildbrookies

Glad you found some success Gmorin. Tough time of year. But, we are getting very close to prime time! Im still holding tight. A buddy of mine went out on local rivers last friday and got skunked again. So, I think the rivers need to warm up more. Thinking about giving a river the test this friday. Yes, those rookies are very pretty for spring fish. Like the yellow slash on the ones lower jaw. Thanks for the report and nice photos!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #7
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
Like the yellow slash on the ones lower jaw.

didn't even see that, that is pretty cool!

As for rivers you're right to hold off. I just went a bunch of times because i was on vacation, but it is definitely tough goings. To avoid getting upset I just kept telling myself how great it is overall. Cool temps, lot of water, complete opposite of last year. Maybe this will make for a much more productive year overall.

Lee Wulff
Old 04-24-2017, 05:38 PM   #8
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Very nice!!!
Old 04-24-2017, 07:46 PM   #9
wildbrookies

I really hope that you are right gmorin! Anything even close to normal would be an improvement over last year.
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote