Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
bioguide

Fishing Quintessential Adirondack Brook Trout Ponds: A Bakerís Dozen

(Itís not what you think)

Picture two relatively remote Adirondack ponds located within a wild forest designated track of land. Both require about a two mile carry. One was recently reclaimed by the DEC after the anthropogenic introduction of non-native fish through stocking and use of bait fish depleted the naturally reproducing brook trout populations. After extinguishing all fish from the pond, the DEC successfully reintroduced native brook trout and established special fishing regulations, including prohibiting the use of bait fish. For the past couple of years, this has resulted in memorable fishing trips: Weíve packed all our gear in and out, including our boat, and caught numerous troutóenough to eat a couple at camp and bring a couple home, as well as plenty to release back into the pond.

That seemed to have changed over the last couple of visits. The first day of the trip, we were skunked on the larger pond, so the second day I bushwhacked over to the smaller pond for the first time to try my luck. As I shouldered my canoe out of the spruce swamp thicket and neared the shore, my excitement about exploring a new fishing hole was high, but immediately deflated when I caught glimpse of a stashed row boat near shore. I persisted, but after three hours the only thing I caught was sight of two more stashed boats. I ended back on the larger pond that afternoon, and counted ten more boats stashed on it, bringing the total to a bakerís dozen. I know there may be a lot of different reasons why we didnít catch any fish however; The DEC might want to cull the stashed boats from these two Adirondack wild forest special waters brook trout ponds, as a threat of depleting the brook trout from overfishing is blatantly evident. Sadly, I wonít be returning to fish either of these ponds.

A few pics of the boats:

Old 05-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #2
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

See the thread stashed boats = garbage? http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.p...=stashed+boats

I think this topic warrants renewed discussion. First, those bringing boats in have no plan to ever bring them out again so they truly do become trash. Second, the DEC has no resources to pull them all out.

I'd say that makes removal up to us. There is at least one pond where that was recently done. Nobody knows who did it and it wasn't the DEC. I would like to see a volunteer force haul out all stashed boats and for the DEC to strictly enforce what the signs all say: If you carry it in, carry it out.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:38 PM   #3
bigfish

13 boats on one pond is a bit ridiculous, and there are a few that are like that. However I know a lot of ponds that have one or two stashed around them and I'm sorry, I never saw the harm in it. There is a lot of people that for whatever reason can't carry a boat in and out of these ponds in a day.
bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Bio,
Did you ever go in there before the green trout got in there? I bet there were 30 boats if you looked hard enough. Last time I was there maybe 5 years ago the vast majority were gone, amazing what happens when the real trout come back. Aluminum hatch! I wonder how many of those came in on a plane?
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #5
ADKxplorer

Don't mind seeing 1 maybe 2 boats at a pond if they are in good condition and kept out of the way, but I can't stand seeing garbage wrecks lying around. I've even had to tow in a half sunk canoe floating in middle of a pond I was fishing because someone didn't pull it far enough out of the water and it floated away. Twelve plus boats is ridiculous, but I'm not surprised once I saw the pic of the lean-to...those types of places will draw heavy use.
ADKxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
Stillhunter

Thanks for the update Bio. I was thinking of making my first attempt of this season in there. Either you hit it on a bad fishing day or like you say they have pounded it hard. The DEC did a big job with the publicity on this so it is not a big surprise that the pressure is up. Imagine going in to fish and seeing 13 row boats and canoes out on the water. That would be worse than cell phone coverage in ruining a wilderness experience. I think I will go to plan B.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #7
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Imagine going in to fish and seeing 13 row boats and canoes out on the water.
Or...: as I was enjoying the evening on shore with some Knob Creek Smoked Maple whiskey I had fleeting thoughts of gathering all the boats out to the center of the lake and dropping an anchor...
Old 05-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #8
Stillhunter

Some would call it "creating structure".
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:01 PM   #9
GreenFrog
Amphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioguide View Post
Or...: as I was enjoying the evening on shore with some Knob Creek Smoked Maple whiskey I had fleeting thoughts of gathering all the boats out to the center of the lake and dropping an anchor...
Hope you still enjoyed the outing and I like your idea above.

We can argue about a single boat stored at a remote pond but anything more than that is purely trash.
GreenFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #10
Hard Scrabble

Years ago, it was not uncommon to see canoes and guide boats stored at the end of a carry, especially in the St Regis area.
When I say "stored", I mean off the ground, not dragged up off the waterline.
A real woodsman would never have left his boat on the ground.
Our predecessors did it regularly with no doubt that they would find the boat exactly as they had left it.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote