Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
njbirdman

Fly shops near Lake Pleasant

Hello everyone,

I will be heading up to the Speculator/Lake Pleasant area the first week of June, anyone know of any fly shops in the area (or on the way up from NNJ)?

I know of Paul's in Speculator however does anyone have any other shops they frequent? Thanks in advance.
njbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
gmorin71

are you coming up from jersey? if you are going through speculator/lake pleasant then I would assume you are taking rt. 30 north into the adirondacks. in that case, stop at the fly shack in gloversville right on main street they'll have everything that you need. If you are entering that area by going west off of the northway then I dont have much.

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:12 PM   #3
skinner

the fly shack in Gloversville is on east f Fulton st. they have a good selection of fly fishing goods

Last edited by skinner; 05-02-2017 at 05:38 PM..
skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #4
Pauly D.

The Fly Shack or Goldstocks in Schenectady.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:10 PM   #5
JW

Fly Shack is great - huge selection and good advice - impressive stone building two doors east from the library toward main st.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
njbirdman

Fly shops near Lake Pleasant

Thank you everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #7
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbirdman View Post
Thank you everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
your welcome. I will, however, say this...

The fly shack is better overall. More flies, more materials, more stuff in general. With that in mind I would 100% go to goldstocks instead. Here's the reason why.

The main reason is that you cannot really trust the fly shack if you are relying on them or their hours. They are 99% an online business and only have a brick and mortar store because they are required to to carry some of their brands. They often are randomly closed to go to shows and do not update their website to let you know they are closed. Also, a lot of their stuff is almost always out of stock. The actual store just isn't their focus. Even though Goldstocks is smaller, they still have everything that you need and you are guaranteed to catch them open. I cant tell you how many times I have driven to gloversville only to find the fly shack closed. If you are coming from that far away, I'd go to goldstocks.

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:02 AM   #8
njbirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorin71 View Post
your welcome. I will, however, say this...

The fly shack is better overall. More flies, more materials, more stuff in general. With that in mind I would 100% go to goldstocks instead. Here's the reason why.

The main reason is that you cannot really trust the fly shack if you are relying on them or their hours. They are 99% an online business and only have a brick and mortar store because they are required to to carry some of their brands. They often are randomly closed to go to shows and do not update their website to let you know they are closed. Also, a lot of their stuff is almost always out of stock. The actual store just isn't their focus. Even though Goldstocks is smaller, they still have everything that you need and you are guaranteed to catch them open. I cant tell you how many times I have driven to gloversville only to find the fly shack closed. If you are coming from that far away, I'd go to goldstocks.
Thank you for that information, I'd be fairly annoyed if I drove there only to find out they were closed.

That being said...I've never been fly fishing up in the ADKs, any suggested flies/patterns I should focus on for early June?