Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
JoeRpaddler

cedarlands

I searched Cedarlands on the web putting my wish list together the other day and one of the sites that came up said that the scout camp was permanently closed. Also had it up for sale. Lands of America was listing it. Anyone know any details ? Access changes ? Wanted to try and get there this year. Is it all well marked at this point since it's been open to the public for a few years now ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tx.
JoeRpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
Wldrns

Yup. Was there a year ago writing a trail guide review. Access is the same as on the Original Easement agreement. No public access during what was normally scouting season - June, July, August. Otherwise go for it (but no access past the gate to the original 300 acre core camp area - that will remain private).
Old 05-10-2017, 07:48 AM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Is that core camp area open to approved vehicular access during the public access season?
In other words, if I'm camping on the other side, will I be seeing and/or hearing vehicles driving in there?
Old 05-10-2017, 08:27 AM   #4
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Is that core camp area open to approved vehicular access during the public access season?
In other words, if I'm camping on the other side, will I be seeing and/or hearing vehicles driving in there?
When I was (with permission) inside the core area last year, during 4 separate visits, the only vehicle or human activity I saw was the real estate agent along with a single prospective buyer from NJ driving a huge black SUV. He was considering turning the core camp into a youth/adult camping resort. But he had lots of questions to me and he couldn't get over the idea of the surrounding easement regulation, allowing the public into the remainder of the thousands of acres of open land. I offered to guide for him, but haven't heard any thing come of his visit. Other than that, for the short term anyway, I don't expect to see anyone in the core area. The scouts are long gone, and anything removable of any value was sold off in an auction last summer.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:27 AM   #5
bluequill

I have not been in there for possibly 4 or 5 years. Has the parking area received any improvements since that time? I also heard that they were considering cutting in a trail from the parking area to Mud Pond.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
I have not been in there for possibly 4 or 5 years. Has the parking area received any improvements since that time? I also heard that they were considering cutting in a trail from the parking area to Mud Pond.
No to parking improvements in the core. There is an existing public parking area on the left a few tenths of a mile before the gate. The trail from there to Mud Pond is not yet cut AFAIK. But you can wheel a boat to launch on Mud Pond by following the existing road (when allowed in season)
Old 05-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #7
JoeRpaddler

Thanks for sharing your info on this topic. I am hoping to try and canoe and possibly camp there later this season if I can squeeze it in. Looks like a beautiful place.
JoeRpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote