Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
Rivet
Likes to hike

Pinnacle (Shaker WF) 5-14-2017

I took the County Line Lake trail for about 1 mile. Then, a fairly easy bushwhack up to the summit of Pinnacle. Dropped back down and continued up the road to the old mill site and large marsh area before returning. Cloudy, foggy and cool - but no bugs at all.
I really enjoyed the walk along the old road - especially with the babbling creek next to it.

some pictures
Old 05-14-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Nice!
A friend & I snowshoed up there years ago on a fun loop up & over Pinnacle to Chase Lake. I remember a view from the cliffs that you can see from Chase Lake, but I can't seem to find the photo at the moment.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
Tick Magnet

Cool hike!

Nice catch on the BM on top of Pinnacle.

That tributary of Pinnacle Creek is always a pain to cross. The last time I was there with my oldest daughter, we "pole vaulted" across with a 6' pine limb. Needless to say, Dad somehow managed to break the limb and I got a little wet. Those logs look down right dangerous to hop across on.

That mill site is really cool too. The old iron is impressive as are some of the other artifacts along the trail; the old cart, the hemlock planking and of course the old dam and raceway. What a fun place to explore.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:32 PM   #4
Rivet
Likes to hike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Nice!
A friend & I snowshoed up there years ago on a fun loop up & over Pinnacle to Chase Lake. I remember a view from the cliffs that you can see from Chase Lake, but I can't seem to find the photo at the moment.
Are those the rock climbing cliffs on the lower east side?
Old 05-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #5
Rivet
Likes to hike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post
Cool hike!

Nice catch on the BM on top of Pinnacle.

That tributary of Pinnacle Creek is always a pain to cross. The last time I was there with my oldest daughter, we "pole vaulted" across with a 6' pine limb. Needless to say, Dad somehow managed to break the limb and I got a little wet. Those logs look down right dangerous to hop across on.

That mill site is really cool too. The old iron is impressive as are some of the other artifacts along the trail; the old cart, the hemlock planking and of course the old dam and raceway. What a fun place to explore.
The logs were slippery and a bit "tippy", but better than nothing.

I just happened to stumble upon the mill site while looking for cascades. There was also an old road marked with flagging that headed up hill from there. Followed it for about 100 yards.

Didn't really research this hike ahead of time as it was kind of spur of the moment.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:35 AM   #6
RIngFly

Looks like a nice spot , Wonder how the fishing is in the creek ? Good post , thank you
RIngFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:57 AM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
Must be, although I do remember it was pretty thick atop the cliffs and not very easy to get a good view through the trees.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:16 AM   #8
Tick Magnet

Quote:
I just happened to stumble upon the mill site while looking for cascades. There was also an old road marked with flagging that headed up hill from there. Followed it for about 100 yards.
That old road that goes west from the mill site heads up Pigeon Mt. Our internet hiking buddy, formerly known as "Newbie", has used it to get up the Mt. on their way to Little Oxbarn. He's got some good trip reports in his blog.

Like you, I haven't been more than a couple hundred yards up the road. Some day.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:52 PM   #9
mohawk
chief

Quote:
Upper east side.
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:55 PM   #10
mohawk
chief

Quote:
The logs were slippery and a bit "tippy", but better than nothing.

Didn't really research this hike ahead of time as it was kind of spur of the moment.
If you are referring to blue/white ribbons, I've since removed them.
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote