Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2017, 04:31 PM   #81
streamer

They're still out there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170515_154303.jpg (137.3 KB, 76 views)
streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:17 PM   #82
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer View Post
They're still out there!
Nice Haul! It is a bumper year for morels!
Old 09-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #83
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Finally found my holy grail yesterday, black trumpets. Unfortunately, they were well past due but at least I know where to look i.e. a far back bay of a Fulton chain lake. Miserable brook trout fishing in the rain today was saved by a big and fresh chicken find. Pan fried them in panko, mmmmm! https://goo.gl/photos/TfBukbQSqPmqqP5U6
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:12 PM   #84
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
Finally found my holy grail yesterday, black trumpets. Unfortunately, they were well past due but at least I know where to look i.e. a far back bay of a Fulton chain lake. Miserable brook trout fishing in the rain today was saved by a big and fresh chicken find. Pan fried them in panko, mmmmm! https://goo.gl/photos/TfBukbQSqPmqqP5U6
Nice find!!!!
Old 09-18-2017, 10:38 PM   #85
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Epic fails on the foraging front for me lately. Before labor day I scouted my maitake trees and locally and there was a new one sprouting, only an inch high so I left it for a few days to grow and of course someone got it. Then yesterday I went fishing/exploring in the southern adk for something to do in this late summer weather. On the way into the pond, I spied a big perfect lion's mane on a dying beech 30 yards off the trail. I went through the hobblebush with my canoe and grabbed it but then realized I didn't have a bag to put it in such that it wasn't in my backpack with the fishing stuff so I set it down beside the trail to get it on the way out. After all, I was only going to fish for a couple hours and who would venture down the trail this early in the morning and also be a mushroom hunter. 0.5 miles down the trail I found another nice lion's mane on a dead tree right next to the trail. Again I figured I'd grab it on the way out. Needless to day, both were gone when I walked out. I was peeved to say the least but it was my own doing so I guess the blame lies with me. So for those venturing out, lions mane is hot right now and I've seen plenty of honey's if you're into those (I'm not).
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #86
geogymn

I took a walk this past Sat. and I was lucky to find some Lion's Mane (Hericium erinaceus) and also several puffballs. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.