Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you ever burn waste in a campfire?
No, never! 25 29.07%
Yeah, if I can incinerate it to nonexistence! 61 70.93%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #61
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
I don't think many people carry paper waste to purposely burn it, but I could be wrong...
Definitely not to burn it, no. In some areas, however, the use of state lands for illegally dumping household trash is a major issue, particularly in more developed places like Long Island. Even in the Adirondacks, though, if you poke around in the woods near a trailhead you're sometimes as likely as not to find bags of household trash or other household waste (old mattresses, etc.) that were illicitly dumped on state land.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #62
Justin

Quote:
You can post as many pictures as you like and complain about it here, but I don't think it will change the situation....

Until you can teach people how to care about these things, I think your effort on here is wasted.
Recording and sharing evidence of Regulation violations is a good way to help spread the word and make more people aware for those that care, which hopefully leads to an improved situation. Telling people that's it no big deal to burn your trash is not what we should be teaching imho.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:49 PM   #63
montcalm
Mobster

Well I hope you don't think I'm advocating burning recyclables (and food waste) but I'm trying to be realistic. I burn wood and wood products when I'm outdoors, and I feel I'm not causing any problems - others may not share that view i.e. it isn't completely in line with current regulations.

I'm pretty sure the regulations exist to give the rangers a means of enforcement should they see it fit i.e. you are burning plastic or dumping household trash.

I'm certainly not going to flame or preach to anyone for burning paper products, and I might only suggest to people not to burn plastic or food. Stuff like glass or cans - seriously? Who in their right mind thinks that will incinerate? Again I will point out that ignorance is a poor defense. It's simply lack of caring.

I think the way to make people care is just like you were brought up Justin. They need to realize this stuff when they are young and develop an appreciation for it. It's that type of education I think will make the difference. Arguing about a few ticky-tack rules on a forum where most people would agree with what you say isn't going to make a big change. JMHO.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #64
Justin

Quote:
Well I hope you don't think I'm advocating burning recyclables (and food waste) but I'm trying to be realistic. I burn wood and wood products when I'm outdoors, and I feel I'm not causing any problems - others may not share that view i.e. it isn't completely in line with current regulations.

I'm pretty sure the regulations exist to give the rangers a means of enforcement should they see it fit i.e. you are burning plastic or dumping household trash.

I'm certainly not going to flame or preach to anyone for burning paper products, and I might only suggest to people not to burn plastic or food. Stuff like glass or cans - seriously? Who in their right mind thinks that will incinerate? Again I will point out that ignorance is a poor defense. It's simply lack of caring.

I think the way to make people care is just like you were brought up Justin. They need to realize this stuff when they are young and develop an appreciation for it. It's that type of education I think will make the difference. Arguing about a few ticky-tack rules on a forum where most people would agree with what you say isn't going to make a big change. JMHO.
Thanks Montcalm.
The sad thing is more than half of the people in this poll voted "yes" to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest dweller View Post
I DO have campfires...

and occasionally I'll burn gooey trash rather than packing that out...

I'm curious who else does...

So, be honest...
Old 07-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #65
montcalm
Mobster

Well the poll is a bit flawed... burning to non-existence does not mean you burn plastic and food. And obviously those who try to burn metals and glass won't get them to vaporize no matter how hard they try.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:28 PM   #66
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Different ways to look at this (is it a LNT thing, or an environmental issue, etc) but overall I'd personally not burn any trash though I wouldn't get bent out of shape if someone burns just paper or tiny amount of plastic such as a sandwich baggie so long as they ensure it burns completely. But most of my hikes are in the Eastern High Peaks so I have not had a fire in so long that I can remember. Its probably best not to have a fire AT ALL for environmental reasons, but not sure how my little alcohol stove compares... Got to think using a tiny amount of recycled aluminum and .5 ounces of denatured alcohol is probably more environmentally friendly to cook with than a camp fire using found wood, but hard to compare and probably splitting hairs. For that matter one could argue that I drive a V10 powered truck well over 1,000 miles round trip to visit the Adirondacks... probably not the most environmentally friendly vehicle out there (though I think jets are still worse) Of course I visit family and do other things while I'm in northern NYS, and, well, I am still shopping around for another more fuel efficient vehicle.

I was thinking about getting one of the little twig burning stoves, for outside of the high peaks, but for now I stick to no fires at all and use my Whitebox alchy stove for the occasional hot meal and coffee.

35/46 get'n closer
18/46 barefoot
Adirondackiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:46 PM   #67
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondackiteer View Post
I'd personally not burn any trash though I wouldn't get bent out of shape if someone burns just paper or tiny amount of plastic such as a sandwich baggie so long as they ensure it burns completely....
Can we please stop suggesting that it is no big deal to burn your trash when camping?!?

Obviously some of us...or maybe it's only me that thinks this sends a bad message to the many people who view this forum everyday, especially for those new to hiking & camping and come here looking for advice and suggestions!

I wouldn't get bent out of shape either, but I would definitely politely say something about it if I saw someone do it.

Let's do the right thing and pack it out, or if we're together give it to me and I'll pack it out for you!
It's not hard!

I know there are many BSA leaders and members on this forum...
Funny how they remain silent on this issue....
Old 07-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #68
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I don't make fires, thus I do not burn trash. I also do not endorse burning trash. It is interesting to me that you mention the BSA. I was never involved in it but I have heard from a few people over the years who seemed to have a lot of stories about fires and explosions from their Scouting days. I don't remember any of them mentioning burning trash but they certainly seemed to have fond memories of doing creative things with lighters and lighter fluid which sometimes caused their picnic tables, campsites, etc. to be temporarily engulfed in flames. On the other hand I don't think these activities were endorsed by the leadership of their groups.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #69
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

This discussion seems to be headed the direction of many - in a circle. Please remain civil, and stop advocating for behaviors not consistent with the DEC regs.

And may I remind you of Rule 8:

Quote:
8) Adkhighpeaks Foundation Forums are strong supporters of Leave No Trace (LNT) principles and we do not condone or advocate ANY alteration to the Adirondack backcountry as it pertains to information found on the forums. It is understood that if any information from this forum leads you into the backcountry of the park, you will travel, camp and otherwise practice responsible LNT principles when doing so. Any evidence route cutting, view improvement or other significant permanent unnatural alterations/destruction discovered to have been done as the result of information gathered here will result in a automatic lifetime ban from the site and referral (including e-mail) to the NYS DEC.
(and why the heck did someone resurrect this old thread anyway?)

Scott

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:55 AM   #70
dmartenvt

Carry in , carry out , Yes
Leave the site better than entering a site, Always
Cleaning up after others if necessary, Always
Having a fire for warmth and cooking, Usually Unless it's too dry and windy or if there's a burn ban, only burned downed wood.
I would burn pure paper waste, and never coated papers. Plastics are pretty horrid to burn. It's a good way to create dioxins, which are quite nasty at very low levels, also you really don't want to breathe that.
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:42 PM   #71
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

I just got back from a campsite which someone burned a ____load worth of trash including (light bulb?) bottles, cans, wire, food waste, etc. What goes through people's minds? Disgusting. So they go to the mountains to burn their trash and kill the birds?
Old 03-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #72
Dacker

I build a fire, dead wood only. Never burned trash, my sites and others have always been squeaky clean since 1972. Come on trash isn't that heavy..
Old 03-15-2016, 02:12 PM   #73
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
I just got back from a campsite which someone burned a ____load worth of trash including (light bulb?) bottles, cans, wire, food waste, etc. What goes through people's minds? Disgusting. So they go to the mountains to burn their trash and kill the birds?
I walked into a campsite where someone had dumped about 20 hamburger patties (some cooked, some uncooked) in the fire pit, in addition to other assorted trash, prior to leaving the site. The meat had been sitting in the summer sun for at least a few days. The smell was so awful that I could only spend about 30 seconds in the site at a time. Fortunately, I had a couple of heavy duty contractor bags on hand and I was able to bag everything and carry it out (the site was only about 50 feet from the road).
Old 03-15-2016, 04:25 PM   #74
Justin

Old 03-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #75
mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I walked into a campsite where someone had dumped about 20 hamburger patties (some cooked, some uncooked) in the fire pit, in addition to other assorted trash, prior to leaving the site. The meat had been sitting in the summer sun for at least a few days. The smell was so awful that I could only spend about 30 seconds in the site at a time. Fortunately, I had a couple of heavy duty contractor bags on hand and I was able to bag everything and carry it out (the site was only about 50 feet from the road).
Well to be fair, if you were on day two of a four day trip in the middle of nowhere, you may have handled that differently.

Although its all relative, I packed out three leftover Coleman propane canisters for two days once. You tend find garbage like that at snowmobile friendly campsites/lean-tos.

I have a feeling if I found leftover burger paddies on a long trip, I'd be burning or burying them...
Old 03-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #76
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Well to be fair, if you were on day two of a four day trip in the middle of nowhere, you may have handled that differently.

Although its all relative, I packed out three leftover Coleman propane canisters for two days once. You tend find garbage like that at snowmobile friendly campsites/lean-tos.

I have a feeling if I found leftover burger paddies on a long trip, I'd be burning or burying them...
I agree that in a more remote location, I probably would've buried the burgers. But I also like to think that in a more remote location, it'd be far less likely that someone carried in 20 extra hamburger patties that they didn't end up eating.

I once tossed a 20 oz can of baked beans into my pack that I found at a lean-to, and carried it out, intending to open and eat it at home (free dinner for a night!). I completely forgot about it after getting out of the woods, though. Since my pack stays packed in the summer in between backpacking trips, I naturally ended up carrying it back into the woods again a few days later, and was a bit chagrined to find it as I unpacked to set up camp. Rather than carry it 5 miles out again a second time, I opened and ate the beans there in camp.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:02 PM   #77
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:

I once tossed a 20 oz can of baked beans into my pack that I found at a lean-to, and carried it out, intending to open and eat it at home (free dinner for a night!). I completely forgot about it after getting out of the woods, though. Since my pack stays packed in the summer in between backpacking trips, I naturally ended up carrying it back into the woods again a few days later, and was a bit chagrined to find it as I unpacked to set up camp. Rather than carry it 5 miles out again a second time, I opened and ate the beans there in camp.

Ha ha ha,
those were rehiked beans!!
Old 03-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #78
Justin

Reminds me of the "mystery can" that I used to keep in my backpack many years ago as an emergency meal. It had lost it's lable somewhere along the way & I couldn't remember what it was. I finally opened it one rainy & cold camping trip, and it was the best can of Dinty Moore I ever had.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #79
richard1726
46er2618

While solo, most of the time, I don't cook and do not bother with a fire. Fire is for when we are at the KOA at Devils Tower.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #80
mike

Quote:
I agree that in a more remote location, I probably would've buried the burgers. But I also like to think that in a more remote location, it'd be far less likely that someone carried in 20 extra hamburger patties that they didn't end up eating.

You never know about what people are willing to carry.

I've told this story before, perhaps on this very forum, and certainly in person with people on this forum:

I once saw a couple of guys who had tied two long branches to a fairly large cooler filled with ice and beer down the trail at Pharoah Lake, they were carrying it "Ark of the Covenant" style.

They weren't going super far, but it was certainly more than a couple of miles from any trailhead....

People tend to surprise you.

This doesn't consider snowmobile accessible sites though. We'll see a kitchen sink out there one of these days(the Chub Pond one doesn't count!)...