Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
Loopin for the Lama

30 years a hermit in the Maine woods

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/news...?currentPage=1

An interesting read on a guy who spent almost 30 years in the woods without any human contact. Incredible he survived the winters he did (if you believe his story that he never sought out other shelter). It’s actually more interesting to me as a pyschological study as opposed to the physical aspect of what he went through.

Probably the first time a GQ article has been linked to on the forum!
Old 08-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
marshmallow

Thank you

for sharing that link. It was a wonderful article!!!!!
marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Absolutely fascinating article. I wonder what's become of him.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Absolutely fascinating article. I wonder what's become of him.
http://bangordailynews.com/2013/11/2...ogram-da-says/
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
redhawk

He probably had more contentment in his life then any of us could ever hope for.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 08-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
runslikeajohndeere

Interesting read considering the few moments a day some appreciate nature, freedom and will.

Here is another story about a Russian family that lived apart from society- linked in comments section of GQ
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...354256/?no-ist
runslikeajohndeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
Neil
Kayak-46

He was a burglar and a thief and I would guess was mentally ill.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
ADK123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The article did not seem to indicate he was mentally ill. Instead they speculate he has Asperger's - which puts him on the autism spectrum. Those with Asperger's are typically highly intelligent, but socially inept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
He probably had more contentment in his life then any of us could ever hope for.
From his comments at the end of the article it would seem he was exactly that - content.
ADK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #9
geogymn

I thought that it would be impossible to stay hidden for 30 years. Gives a psyche hope.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #10
Jackson

Man, how I'd love to disappear for 30 years !!!!!! Or more............
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:37 PM   #11
Alpine1

I think anyone who read the article got the thief/burglar part :-) Personal feelings aside its still a pretty amazing story.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #12
BillB
BillB

I found this story to be a very interesting read. I think many of us have thought about escaping from society at one time or another. We all enjoy the outdoors, or we wouldn't be on this forum. But he survived by taking items from those around him who remained part of society. I'm not so accepting of that. Still, his apparent ability to survive the winters is remarkable.
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #13
Edb 46 er

I believe there was a fella' in the Adirondack Blue Ridge Wilderness that had a story somewhat the same. Not quite 30 years though. He was spotted in a snow storm leaving bicycle tracks into the woods by a DOT employee?
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:31 PM   #14
peskypup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
I believe there was a fella' in the Adirondack Blue Ridge Wilderness that had a story somewhat the same. Not quite 30 years though. He was spotted in a snow storm leaving bicycle tracks into the woods by a DOT employee?
It was in Brant Lake that he was caught after a tip from the local plow crew, though he apparently spent time in Chazy Lake and Massachusetts. Claimed he'd been living in the woods for 20 years.

http://poststar.com/news/police-iden...f10de0bf3.html
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:27 AM   #15
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post
I found this story to be a very interesting read. I think many of us have thought about escaping from society at one time or another. We all enjoy the outdoors, or we wouldn't be on this forum. But he survived by taking items from those around him who remained part of society. I'm not so accepting of that. Still, his apparent ability to survive the winters is remarkable.
Bill, you say it much more nicely than I did.

I seriously doubt any healthy individual would be happy to spend 30 years or even 30 days of their life cut off from social contact, sneaking around forcing entry into the intimacy of others' homes, going through their stuff and stealing it.

Even if one went about it an honest way I still doubt a healthy person would remain happy and at peace with themselves for long. Hunter-gatherers, as far as I understand, were social beings.

I do agree that it is an interesting story and it does make one wonder.

However, a much better story is titled "Land of Feast and Famine". Check it out, and then dream.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:06 AM   #16
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I agree.
I lost interest in the article after the first couple paragraphs.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #17
marshmallow

It makes me

wonder what kind of family life he really had before heading into the woods. His FAMILY didn't even really seem to care that he was gone/missing. If my son was missing no matter what age, I would be searching high and low for him.
marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #18
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I agree.
I lost interest in the article after the first couple paragraphs.
Why? I think you may have expressed a wish at one time or another about being able to just stay in the woods. For any of us to be able to do that, we have to have some means of survival, especially if we want to avoid any human contact as he did. So, one would have to be able to hunt and gather, as well as tan and make their own clothes, tools and shelter, or steal.

One or the other. He did the latter. I'm not the one to judge him. I have a certain admiration that he did survive out there that long and avoided all human contact in spite of the means.

I've learned in my lifetime that my morals (or possibly in some cases immorality) and ethics are the yardstick which I measure myself by, and I have neither the authority nor the right to impose them on anyone else.I am unable to put myself in this man's shoes. I have no idea what his thought process is. Therefore I will not judge him, but wish him well.

With the state of the world today and the behavior of humans, i wish I could avoid all contact with them(at the sake of being labled "unhealthy"). My finest and most enjoyable times are when I am alone, isolated, with only my thoughts and actions to deal with.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #19
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Why? I think you may have expressed a wish at one time or another about being able to just stay in the woods. For any of us to be able to do that, we have to have some means of survival, especially if we want to avoid any human contact as he did. So, one would have to be able to hunt and gather, as well as tan and make their own clothes, tools and shelter, or steal...
I don't have much respect for people who steal. Food is one thing, but stealing personal property for any reason is another thing.
From what I've gathered only reading the first few paragraphs from the link in the original post, he was basically a homeless person living in isolation, and they've been trying to catch this guy for a while. Thankfully they did, or I'm sure he would've continued to take things that do not belong to him. Same goes for Alan Como.

I don't ever remember reading about guys like Noah Rondeau and French Louie being thieves. In fact, I think I remember reading that people would steal from them. Just saying. I know things are much different now.

I'll read the rest of the article, and click the other links when I get a little more time. Gotta go for now.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #20
Neil
Kayak-46

Some very intense solitude can be found amongst the crowds in downtown Montreal or New York City or Paris or....