Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #21
crepuscular

http://www.amazon.com/Ridgerunner-El.../dp/0960356649

similar story, also a great read. I'm absolutely fascinated by stories like this.
crepuscular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #22
geogymn

I wonder if Lou and/or Noah stole some wild game.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #23
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
I wonder if Lou and/or Noah stole some wild game.
I wonder if they paid taxes too.
IIRC traps were, and still are considered personal property.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #24
Limekiln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I seriously doubt any healthy individual would be happy to spend 30 years or even 30 days of their life cut off from social contact, sneaking around forcing entry into the intimacy of others' homes, going through their stuff and stealing it.
Agreed. If someone could live 30 years as a hermit in a northern climate without stealing they'd have my respect. I'm sure it's much harder and a lot less romantic than people think. Lot's of cold, hungry nights.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:21 PM   #25
serotonin
ember

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Jiddu Krishnamurti
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #26
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I don't have much respect for people who steal. Food is one thing, but stealing personal property for any reason is another thing.
From what I've gathered only reading the first few paragraphs from the link in the original post, he was basically a homeless person living in isolation, and they've been trying to catch this guy for a while. Thankfully they did, or I'm sure he would've continued to take things that do not belong to him. Same goes for Alan Como.

I don't ever remember reading about guys like Noah Rondeau and French Louie being thieves. In fact, I think I remember reading that people would steal from them. Just saying. I know things are much different now.

I'll read the rest of the article, and click the other links when I get a little more time. Gotta go for now.
Don't know about French Louie. I do know that Noah poached a lot as well as set up a permanent campsite, which was illegal. So he was not above the law either. Is a lawbreaker a lawbreaker? Or only when the laws they break fit into our own judgement?
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:12 AM   #27
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Don't know about French Louie. I do know that Noah poached a lot as well as set up a permanent campsite, which was illegal. So he was not above the law either. Is a lawbreaker a lawbreaker? Or only when the laws they break fit into our own judgement?
Not looking to debate about it Hawk.
You asked why I lost interest in the article, and I explained why.
Yes, breaking the law is illegal. There's just something about stealing other people's personal property that really irks me. That's all. Have a good weekend.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #28
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

However, a much better story is titled "Land of Feast and Famine". Check it out, and then dream.
Damn, that's a pricey book.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #29
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Damn, that's a pricey book.
Not for a guy like Chris Knight.