Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
Dave Bourque

Question Ebenezer Mountain

Driving north on Rt. 9N towards Upper Jay there is a mountain I believe to be Ebenezer Mountain. It has very many open ledges. Views from the top must be outstanding. Some searching on-line indicates it is not public land. It still begs the question, is there a herdpath up this mountain and/or do the property owners allow access? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave Bourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
dundee

According to BMcM in her 1988 edition of Discover the Northern ADKs, she says that Ebenezer is private, but does list directions.

from Upper Jay drive 1.2 miles to a parking area on the SEe of road. Across from it you go thru a field and bear 295 true to get to the summit.

I have no idea whether this access is still current. Bill Ingersoll may see this and give more up-to-date info.
dundee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Vinegar

Saw your post on the other forum where someone identified this as The Cobbles. Lots of public land there, attached is a quick view -- the shaded areas are public. Don't know where you'd park but a drive down Bartlett road might have some options. Hope this helps!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sentinel Range Public Lands.pdf (662.2 KB, 40 views)
Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
Dave Bourque

Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty certain the mountain I'm talking about is Ebenezer. It is just north of Upper Jay. You see it as you are driving north on Rt. 9N towards Upper Jay. I have some follow-up information I received from a friend. The entire mountain is owned by Wellscroft Ice House LLC. On-line lists a Vermont address and not much more. I still wonder if there are any herdpaths??
Dave Bourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
adkh20

Reviving this old thread....

The following DEC rescue report has several mentions of "the trail" on Ebenezer Mountain. Does anyone know if there is public access to this trail?

----
Town of Jay
Essex County
Rescue: On Jan. 21 at 6:25 p.m., Ray Brook Dispatch received a call from a subject advising that a 16-year-old female from Wilmington hiking Ebenezer Mountain had fallen 15 feet off a trail and possibly fractured her femur. The subject was immobile and stuck on a small ledge. Under Lt. Charles Platt's authority, five Rangers responded to Ebenezer Mountain for a rope rescue and a carry out. Rangers reached the subject at 7:55 p.m. and carefully packaged her for a carry out, which began at 9:30 p.m. Three low-angle rope belays were used to lower her down the trail. Rangers reached the bottom of the trail by 10:30 p.m. and the subject was released to Ausable Forks EMS for transfer and initial evaluation. Initial assessment by EMS showed the subject had possible fractures in the hip, femur, and ankle. The subject was then loaded in the ambulance and taken to CVPH Medical Center in Plattsburgh for treatment. The incident concluded at 10:54 p.m.
adkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
TCD

Older topo maps show a trail or a jeep trail coming in from the north. The trail originates as a spur from a trail connecting Perkins Rd (off Hardy Rd) with Stonehouse Rd (off 9N). The indicated trail appears to lead to three structures in a col E of Ebenezer. Everything described above is on private land. Per the public maps at Essex County GIS, the land along this route is owned variously by "Wellscroft Ice House LLC" and Martin Schwalbaum. So those landowners would be who to contact to request permission to travel in that area.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #7
Festus

I thought Martin passed away a few years back. His operation still has a website and is worth checking out - www.4peaks.com He was a real character!
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:30 PM   #8
Wellscroft_Icehouse

Hi everyone, yes, Martin passed away two years ago I believe and the property went to his son. The front cliffs of Ebenezer, as well Winch and parts of Rattlesnake belong to our property in Upper Jay (and are posted Wellscroft Ice House llc). There is no public access to any of the trails from our side - please don't just trespass - it's private land ;-). However if you'd like to get in touch with any questions, feel free to contact us at icehouseupperjay@gmail.com. We'll be very happy to connect with ADK forum members!
Wellscroft_Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote