Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 02:27 PM   #1
Blackhawk

Have You Seen A Mountain Lion? Many Say They Have

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/

My photos cannot be used without my written permission.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
Hard Scrabble

An interesting topic, but discussed many times.
I doubt seriously that there is a wild population of the big cat in the ADK's.
Jim
Old 01-31-2016, 10:30 PM   #3
montcalm
Mobster

What about all those who have seen the mountain lion?

And it was the last thing they saw
Old 02-01-2016, 12:54 AM   #4
wiiawiwb

The first response to the myriad of reports of a mountain lion was, "No, there are mountain lions in the Adirondacks and haven't since forever ago." Now that they have been confirmed the response, "No, there is breeding population."

I didn't buy the first response and I certainly don't believe the second.

This past week, two different people told me of their recent mountain lion sighting in the Berlin area (Northeast of Albany).
Old 02-01-2016, 08:29 AM   #5
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

I wouldn't be very surprised if someone tried to blame the DEC or DEP for trying to reintroduce the Mountain Lion in the East similar to the wolf program in Yellowstone. Of course they vehemently deny even the slightest mention of such a conspiracy. Our government lies to us about so many things anyway, it really wouldn't surprise me, and I am NOT suggesting that this is happening.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:46 PM   #6
Hard Scrabble

Another baseless conspiracy theory.
Yes, there was an emaciated juvenile cougar killed near Lake Desolation a few years back.
Obviously a pet that was released or escaped.
But we have to be pragmatic, cougars require a huge territory.
Our group consists of folks that are very wide ranging.
If a population of cougars exists, there should be more accounts.
Jim
Old 02-01-2016, 05:10 PM   #7
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

I don't think a "population" consists of a few male female placements IF that is what has transpired. Now if someone reports a sighting of one with a transmitter collar... that would be news. IF and UNTIL that happens I think we could all agree with your statement Jim.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:40 PM   #8
fvrwld

I saw a mountain lion in Berne, NY (west of Albany) circa 2000. I was in a tree stand bow-hunting. I am 100% absolutely positive what I saw was a mountain lion. When I discussed it with a DEC biologist she tried her hardest to convince me I saw something else. (Discussion occurred casually at a 'winter-fest' where the DEC had a table.)

I think it is in the DEC's best interest to deny their existence because if/when it is establish that a population exists, money will have to be diverted from existing programs to study/protect the population.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:32 AM   #9
Blackhawk

I’m sure official spokesmen/women for the dec are given specific replies to certain questions – ‘that’s the way we always did it.’
The retired dec en con officer said nothing publicly (not even the mayor was informed) when he found proof of the mountain lion his wife saw in their backyard in lake George.
perhaps he let his friends back at dec offices know his findings.
if I had proof/evidence of a mountain lion in nys I wouldn’t state it publicly either.
I’m sure there are other dec employees who have info about nys mountain lions they keep to themselves.

And it’s possible m. lions have been killed in nys by hunters and they kept it to themselves – why would they say anything?

My photos cannot be used without my written permission.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #10
WBB

Of course if there were a conspiracy they will deny that it exists . That's how those things work. On the other hand my level of confidence in the State of New York's ability to maintain such a conspiracy is fairly low.

Also according to this Oxford physicist it would be very difficult to keep it a secret, But of course that's what they want us to believe. Now where did I put that tin foil hat? I got a new one, they are giving them away in 28packs of Blue and Blue lite.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/1036414/...racy-theories/
Old 02-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #11
Jackson

I have never seen a mountain lion in the Adks, or anywhere else- but I have seen plenty of COUGARS in my day.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #12
wiiawiwb

The failure on he part of the DEC to take ownership of this issue, rather than dance around it, can't help me wonder if the DEC is more interested in themselves and their budget than they are in the preservation and best interest of cougars.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:18 PM   #13
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
The retired dec en con officer said nothing publicly (not even the mayor was informed) when he found proof of the mountain lion his wife saw in their backyard in lake George.
perhaps he let his friends back at dec offices know his findings.
[/COLOR]
I know the officer who investigated the Lake George sighting. He showed me the photos of where they measured the tracks in the snow. They were a little slow in getting the story out though and they didn't really make a fuss until the animal was killed in Connecticut some time later.

I personally know two people who have seen cougars, one is a retired State Trooper.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:59 PM   #14
Hard Scrabble

Buck,
We need to look at this in a pragmatic concept.
The members of this forum are well versed and wide ranging.
If and only "if" there was a population of wild mountain lions in the ADK's, someone would have reported it.
Tracks, evidence of kills, etc.
I can't buy in to the conspiracy issue.
Think about it, why in the world would the DEC hide evidence?
They didn't conceal the attempt to reintroduce Lynxe.
Fun to talk about around a fire.
Jim
Old 02-04-2016, 05:07 PM   #15
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Maybe we should ask Alex Jones.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:33 AM   #16
RichieC

Been camping in the Adirondacks my whole life, never seen a bear, or a moose, Lynx, Bobcat, Barred Owls, other owls, grouse, or turkeys.. a few deer... while camping/fishing/paddling. I have seen signs & tracks of most of the above, trees clawed up, scat. But I don't see a lot of the animals i hunt doing these activities even though I certainly have seen them while hunting for them, obviously because I am trying very hard to.

These animals are very good at not being seen if you aren't very careful, or hurt or under duress.. or dead. Thus, just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there.. probably watching the noisy, smelly humans!. A big cat is smarter then most of these… And they have been proven outside of the park, one in Connecticut that walked from the Black Hills!.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...south-dakota/1

So it CAN happen, because it has!
Old 02-05-2016, 07:29 AM   #17
Neil
Kayak-46

Mountain lions in the Adirondacks? = bad for business. Just ask the folks in Banff re grizzlies and mtn. lions.

I would support the claims of sightings but not that of a resident breeding population.

Could there be size overlap between a big bobcat and a small mountain lion?
Old 02-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #18
Fly Rodder

What do you think the DEC should say?

I've probably seen the same trail cam pictures dozens of times that were taken "in the catskills", or "near Newcomb", or "outside of Old Forge", from my uncle's best friend's former hunting partner.

I have seen zero reputable evidence that there are mountain lions in the Adirondacks. Eyewitness accounts don't hold a lot of weight. People tend to see what they want to see.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:33 PM   #19
cityboy

I mentioned this before but I saw one in Chenango County. While driving looking for fall Turkey I caught a glimpse of something brown with a long tail dash from the dirt road off into a field. I never mentioned it to anyone for obvious reasons until a local rabbit hunter told me his beagle flushed it out of the pines. He was certain that it was a Mountain Lion and said he saw it from less than 100 feet away.

The question is where did it come from? Game Farm? Someone's former pet???

Sort of reminds me of bear sightings 40 years ago. People occasionally said they spotted one here but no one believed them. Now they're fairly common in this part of Chenango.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:10 PM   #20
Gman

That is not even close. At least there were substantial bear populations nearby. The closest known cougar population almost 1000 miles away. You'd have a far better chance seeing a real wolf in the ADKS than a cougar.

I think sightings are mistakes or captive animals. There are hundreds of illegally held Cougars in North America.

I also don't think there were ever that many in the ADKS. When you look at the bounties paid out by the state the number is surprisingly low.