Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #1
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,676
Bobcat Attack in Albany County

Saw this on the news today not far from the Thatcher Park area...

http://news10.com/2016/06/22/bobcat-...-new-scotland/
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:04 PM   #2
geogymn
Member
 
geogymn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,773
" That’s when the homeowner pinned the bobcat down with a chair and then shot and killed it." Good thing he had a gun,.... just saying.
__________________
"A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden
geogymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
" That’s when the homeowner pinned the bobcat down with a chair and then shot and killed it." Good thing he had a gun,.... just saying.
I wish I could shoot some of the cats in my neighborhood!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:26 PM   #4
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder
 
Schultzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I wish I could shoot some of the cats in my neighborhood!
Might as well wish to hit the lottery. I'll bet that many folks think the way you do but never say it out loud. A wish is so full of promise but only happens in your mind. My back yard is like a mecca to cats. My Bond double barrel Derringer loaded with number seven 410 Magnum bird shot keeps calling out to me. It's such a big mouth thinks it's a big shot. But it never fires itself. And the cats keep coming. Need a couple of wily coyotes.
__________________
Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.
Schultzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
Hard Scrabble
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,188
That bobcat was found to be rabid.
An indication that nature is dealing with over population.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:51 PM   #6
geogymn
Member
 
geogymn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
That bobcat was found to be rabid.
An indication that nature is dealing with over population.
Jim
Is that so, over population generates rabies?
__________________
"A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden
geogymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:55 PM   #7
geogymn
Member
 
geogymn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,773
Does anyone remember the movie " A cry in the Wilderness" starring George Kennedy?


"The father of a wilderness family gets bitten by a skunk, and fearing rabies, chains himself to a barn to protect his family should he go mad. He orders his son not to come near him no matter how persuasive or rational his appearance or argument. However, the creek dries up, indicating an upstream blockage and an imminent flood. Several trips upstream by the son have failed to locate the blockage and now Dad wants to be released... "
__________________
"A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden
geogymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,676
Confirmed that it was indeed a rabid bobcat:
http://news10.com/2016/06/24/officia...nd-had-rabies/
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:19 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
Does anyone remember the movie " A cry in the Wilderness" starring George Kennedy?


"The father of a wilderness family gets bitten by a skunk, and fearing rabies, chains himself to a barn to protect his family should he go mad. He orders his son not to come near him no matter how persuasive or rational his appearance or argument. However, the creek dries up, indicating an upstream blockage and an imminent flood. Several trips upstream by the son have failed to locate the blockage and now Dad wants to be released... "
Wasn't there a book about it also?
https://youtu.be/TIAMMpyFGsM
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #10
Hard Scrabble
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
Is that so, over population generates rabies?
google "the effects of animal overpopulations"
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:35 PM   #11
geogymn
Member
 
geogymn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
google "the effects of animal overpopulations"
Jim
Ok that was a good google, I learned some things but...... I can understand how overpopulation depletes the resources and/or said population has problems ridding its environs of waste. But I am a little hazy on how rabies are getting introduce. I can see how deer rubbing noses whilst feeding may spread CWD but don't follow how CWD originates. Also a predator such as a bobcat has limited interaction with other of its species ( I guess it could eat a rabid raccoon). And if it is a question of over population, how do the invasives that we battle not succumb to a scourge ( I talking about you buckthorn and spotted knapweed)?
__________________
"A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden
geogymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:44 PM   #12
geogymn
Member
 
geogymn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Wasn't there a book about it also?
https://youtu.be/TIAMMpyFGsM
George Kennedy was his best in "Cool Hand Luke"
__________________
"A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden
geogymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:30 PM   #13
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
George Kennedy was his best in "Cool Hand Luke"
The Eiger Sanction
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:12 PM   #14
geogymn
Member
 
geogymn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Always was amused how Clint's character hides cans of beer in his buddy's rut sack before a grueling climb and doesn't clue him in until they reach the top. I've since use that climbing technique on occasion.
__________________
"A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden
geogymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:57 PM   #15
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder
 
Schultzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
Always was amused how Clint's character hides cans of beer in his buddy's rut sack before a grueling climb and doesn't clue him in until they reach the top. I've since use that climbing technique on occasion.
Just saw the Eiger Sanction again last night. George Kennedy hides beer in Eastwood's rucksack and then says, "I draw the line at hauling ice." FUNNY
__________________
Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.
Schultzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #16
geogymn
Member
 
geogymn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,773
Thanks for the correction, its been awhile!
__________________
"A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden
geogymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:19 PM   #17
Hard Scrabble
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
Ok that was a good google, I learned some things but...... I can understand how overpopulation depletes the resources and/or said population has problems ridding its environs of waste. But I am a little hazy on how rabies are getting introduce. I can see how deer rubbing noses whilst feeding may spread CWD but don't follow how CWD originates. Also a predator such as a bobcat has limited interaction with other of its species ( I guess it could eat a rabid raccoon). And if it is a question of over population, how do the invasives that we battle not succumb to a scourge ( I talking about you buckthorn and spotted knapweed)?
We were talking about the spread of viruses in mammals.
Not plants.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:32 PM   #18
geogymn
Member
 
geogymn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
We were talking about the spread of viruses in mammals.
Not plants.
Jim
I stand corrected.
__________________
"A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden
geogymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #19
geogymn
Member
 
geogymn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,773
It is better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
__________________
"A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden
geogymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:45 PM   #20
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,676
Speaking of George Kennedy & guns & fools...
Can't forget about the "Naked Gun" movies...
https://youtu.be/o8_9gHzW8vo
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

DISCLAIMER: Use of these forums, and information found herein, is at your own risk. Use of this site by members and non-members alike is only granted by the adkhighpeak.com administration provided the terms and conditions found in the FULL DISCLAIMER have been read. Continued use of this site implies that you have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this site. Any questions can be directed to the Administrator of this site.